Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

two batteies ... regulators or not?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

two batteies ... regulators or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 04:22 AM
bugsiegel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two batteies ... regulators or not?

two batteries two switches, Hitec servos throughout , 6vlt batteries,
Regulators or not?
I read in here someplace that the Hitec's don't like the regulators.
Also, Is it OK to Wye one of the switched batteries into an occupied channel?
Where does the regulator go, between the switch and the receiver?
If there were two batteries on two seperate regulators and one shorted out, would the regulator on the good battery protect the good battery or would the regulator on the bad battery be the protector?
Old 09-02-2003, 11:01 AM
RickP

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the regulators are mainly for use with Li-Poly batteries. I don't know about the Hitecs but I'm sure it must say something on the spech sheet.
RickP
Old 09-02-2003, 01:56 PM
rfw1953

I had a few of the same questions recently and Stlpilot gave me very good info on the below attached thread. This will really point you in the right direction. I am in the process of using this concept in a new Pitts with a DA-50. Good luck and hope this helps answer a few of your questions.

The Battery Backer by Jomar

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...7&pagenumber=6

I have since learned you can get the same product from Tower at a better price, but either way, this sure seems to be the best idea I have heard about..
Old 09-02-2003, 03:51 PM
RickP

Oh,
Perhaps I mis-understood the question? Is he asking about a battery backer or a regulator ?

I've read and subscribed to both sides of the battery backer debate. Don't expect it to be answered in a single post LOL. After studying several sources and reading Reds comments, I have returned my battery backer and using the two packs, two switches into the receiver setup.

Reasoning being that I'll test the packs and if a failure occurs I will detect it while testing packs in between rounds. Battery failures are seldom instantanious and (like any machine) will give you warnings before it gives up the ghost. Besides, it is one less component to fail (KISS).

Not looking to start a war here, I respect ya'll who use it, but this is how I decided to address the problem. And if you disagree with me and feel strongly so - please let me know. I'd be interested in hearing your side of the coin (and if your with me I'd like to hear that too )
Good luck,
Old 09-02-2003, 07:30 PM
rfw1953

I took the question as a question regarding each of the topics listed. I know nothing about Regulators and was merely trying to pass along info I have gotten from another post on the Battery backer system.

Rick, I want to make sure that I myself understand this battery backer thing. if not, please help me clear things up. Again, as stated earlier, I am planning on using this for the first time. I too like the Kiss principal.

The Battery Backer provided by Jomar will also use two separate switches. Each battery will act 100% independent from the other. The benefit here is that if a battery or switch shorts out the Battery Backer will divert to the good Switch/Battery. As long as you use equal number of cells you can still use different mAh levels and type batteries. So a 4 cell 600 mAh NiCd will work with a 4 cell 2700 mAh NiMh. I called Jomar to confirm this.

Conversely, when using two batteries plugged into an empty slot on the Rx, you use one of the slots that could be needed. There is no independence or true back-up in the system. Not a statement, but more of a question?
Old 09-03-2003, 10:38 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Batteries

I fly giant scale Warbirds. I have been using 2 batteries and 2 switches in all my planes. I use both JR and Hitec recievers. I just plug one switch into the battery channel and the other switch into an empty channel. If all your channels are being used you can Y harness them both into the battry channel position. I have been flying this way for years without problems. I used both 4.8 and 6volt setups. I have tried the backup systems in the past but I think it was a waste of money....

Ty
Old 09-03-2003, 11:07 AM
RickP

Roger,
I think I am on board with Ty. Originally, I had no spare socket on the 9Z, so I Wyed it in with the kill switch on channel 9. Then I got matchboxes for the elev and rudder and I opened up two more slots.
The thing I liked about the battery backer, is that you can use a critically small capacity battery for the flight pack and just a small backup - just in case. But this still requires you to test your packs in between rounds anyway. I hate nothing more then to have problems while at the field, so I opted for overkill I guess. I just fly and forget.
FWIW, I think you can even use dissimilar sized packs with this method too. Just keep the voltages the same.
RickP
Old 09-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

If you do decide to use the battery backer, I've got one for sale:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...032&forumid=29

It is in perfect, like new condition.

Thanks, Jimm
Old 09-04-2003, 09:00 PM
jegi75

Default mhh

guys!! sorry not to talk about the first question.... but I ve been trying to get a Match Box, and I CANT !

my radio is a Futaba, and the receiver as well

where can I find two match boxes for 2 aleron servos on each wing?
what are their prices?

I saw some of you mentioned it.

thanks for your help

juan
Old 09-04-2003, 09:23 PM
bugsiegel

Default horizon hobby

any JR dealer.
Horizon hobby has them. they are sold single or in a two pack.
as of last week they were on backorder.
I'm waiting for two my self.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:46 PM
jegi75

Default thanks

thanks !

I have just found it, Futaba call it Servo Synchronizer.. there is a model MSA10, at US$ 58 , mostly same thing as JR

thanks again
juan
Old 09-05-2003, 11:20 AM
RickP

If you are using JR servos I do not think you can use the futaba sycronizers. I just got two matchboxes from JR that I ordered two months ago. I had already got two from Aeroprotect and I think he may still have some in stock, but it appears that Horizon might have recieved a shipment. I decided to keep mine and put them on the elevator and rudder servos to simplify TX programming.
RickP
Old 09-05-2003, 09:04 PM
bugsiegel

Default matchbox

I have a question about the matchbox.
I was reading the instructions on line and it says that numbers1-4 are for normal operation opposed to 5-8 for reversing servos. since both 1 and 5 plug into the same slot how does it know whether I want the servo controled by either 1 or 5 (standard or reversed operation), assuming the servo needed no tweaking once plugged into the unit?
Bugs.............