Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

What do "type a, b, c, d" propeller mean?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What do "type a, b, c, d" propeller mean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:56 AM
DL8698

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do "type a, b, c, d" propeller mean?

I intend to get the RCG 15cc and am looking for propellers for it. I read for run in use 13x6 and after run in use 15x6. But I have no idea what is the difference between types (a, b, c, d) of propellers.

Which type should I get for this engine?

Are the turnigy wood props from HK good?

Any recommendations on props for this engine for sport flying, some aerobatics? I intend to mount this engine on the World Models Super Chipmunk 90R

Old 05-30-2012, 05:21 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: What do

What brand of prop are you talking about? I don't know of any standard meanings for the letters. The letter designations are up to the individual manufacturer. Could mean anything. Look for a prop in the recommended sizes. Xoar is my favorite for small engines.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:43 AM
DL8698

I'm referring to the turnigy wood props on HK

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idCategory=265

And is 15x6 prop too big for this engine, although it is the recommended size? Some people on the HK review for this engine say 14x6 is more suitable
Old 05-30-2012, 06:15 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

I would not use HK wood props, they are an unknown. Stick with, Master Airscrew, Zoar,APC, Zinger... they are well known.

Chris923

PS. The letters mean nothing as far as I know.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:21 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

A, B, C are used by Vess. If they cloned the props they probably didn't even bother to change the designation.
http://www.vessaero.com/

Click on tech section
Old 05-30-2012, 06:30 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the Turnigy propellers, the type A,B,C,D, etc refers to the propeller shape when it was made. Such as a wide blade, narrow blade, scimitar shape, and so on.
 It may also be the wood used too.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turnigy props are not bad at all. Xoar's are better though.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Few props convert power to noise as efficiently as Zinger and Master airscrew do. Well, Biela comes to mind too.

Xoar and Falcon props are poor power to noise converters but pretty good power to thrust converters, agreed! APC's are too in the smaller sizes (up to 20") except they are so darned heavy. Good to know about turnigy props
Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bolly is trying to make a come back i hear.

I only run ZOAR or APC props. only way to go.

APC for all applications except 3D and this is where xoar shines with its lighter weight.

You can clean up the ZOAR's some to get more RPM out of them.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I bought a couple Turnigy 16x6 wood props which seem to be well made and nicely finished but don't like the rather thin hub they have, 1/2" thick versus 5/8" for most all the other similar sized leading brands such as Xoar, Hawk, JXF, Menz and Falcon.

Karol
Old 05-30-2012, 10:26 AM
pe reivers

I have used both Zinger and Master. They are good props, in some engine-plane combinations even excellent if matched well. MA is used a lot in aircombat. They would not be used if they are no good.
ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Few props convert power to noise as efficiently as Zinger and Master airscrew do. Well, Biela comes to mind too.

Xoar and Falcon props are poor power to noise converters but pretty good power to thrust converters, agreed! APC's are too in the smaller sizes (up to 20") except they are so darned heavy. Good to know about turnigy props
Old 05-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like Xoar and Pro-Zinger wood props, though I needed one ASAP and all I could get locally was a Falcon.  I was pleased with that prop and it's been on my plane over a year, now.   I balance all my props and I have yet to need to adjust a Xoar.  They have all been pre-balanced to my satisfaction.

I hand start my gassers and an APC prop just gives me the whillies; even with a heavy padded leather starting glove.  That's what I fly on all my glow engines, though.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:07 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I use a magnetic balancer made from computer hard drive magnets. Because the prop shaft is suspended in the magnetic field, it is very sensitive. I rarely have to blade(horizontal) balance a Xoar. Sometimes I do a hub(vertical) balance, but I don't think it is necessary. More like me being obsessive about the balance.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:42 PM
SIMCO
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly a RCGF 15 with a 15X6 evo prop. A 14X8 would be a little deep in pitch but probably alright. SKIP the 13 X8 for break-in . Keep your speed under 6500 rpm with the bigger prop for break-in. Great little engine. Runs all day without a worry.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:26 PM
DL8698

ORIGINAL: SIMCO

I fly a RCGF 15 with a 15X6 evo prop. A 14X8 would be a little deep in pitch but probably alright. SKIP the 13 X8 for break-in . Keep your speed under 6500 rpm with the bigger prop for break-in. Great little engine. Runs all day without a worry.
Thanks, for info. You have answered what I asked, ie, what prop <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">size</span> to use.

How about 14x6 as some reviewers at HK has suggested? Is it too small for my intended plane, the WM Super Chipmunk 90R?

Edit: Is it necessary to bench run in or can I just run in a bit on bench and continue run in while flying?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:47 AM
pe reivers

Tune the engine so it will keep running. Then go fly it and tune in plane. That is the best way to do it.