Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Which one to review?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:05 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one to review?

Ok, so as most of y'all know I am a writer for [link=http://modelkits.com/]ModelKits[/link] and I am out on the prowl for my next RC to review. Here are the ones that I am considering:
-Axial Exo Terra Buggy kit (this would be my top choice because it has been very controversial): $299
-Axial Dingo kit: $260
-Tamiya CC-01 Ford Bronco kit: $179
-TLR 22T kit (also controversial): $299
Any other suggestions? It needs to be a kit, under $300 (not including electronics), the more controversial the better, the newer the better, and something that would interest you. Let me know please if you have a kit that fits this criterion that you don't see listed here.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:15 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Which one to review?

Well, if you want people to search out and read your review it should be a newer model. I would suggest the exo terra or 22t. Do you race? I think a proper review of the 22t should include some track time.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: kistner

Well, if you want people to search out and read your review it should be a newer model. I would suggest the exo terra or 22t. Do you race? I think a proper review of the 22t should include some track time.
I don't race but I do have a track nearby (poorly maintained, but it's something at least). So you would vouch for the 22T?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

only thing controversial abut the exo terra from what I read, and seen on it is how big of a PITA it is to make ANY change to the electronics. If I remember right jang used a stopwatch and it took 3 mins to dismantle with an electric screw driver, and like 8 to reassemble, but that was after he did it multiple times and got the hang of it. Out side that I thought that buggy was pretty good from what I read.

Personally I'd go with the one you would be happiest with seeing I doubt you are being paid to review the RC. Also why buy a potential lemon if you are paying for it, and will be stuck with it.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

only thing controversial abut the exo terra from what I read, and seen on it is how big of a PITA it is to make ANY change to the electronics. If I remember right jang used a stopwatch and it took 3 mins to dismantle with an electric screw driver, and like 8 to reassemble, but that was after he did it multiple times and got the hang of it. Out side that I thought that buggy was pretty good from what I read.

Personally I'd go with the one you would be happiest with seeing I doubt you are being paid to review the RC. Also why buy a potential lemon if you are paying for it, and will be stuck with it.
Ok, thanks. But, I am getting paid for it
Old 06-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only one of any interest to me is the Dingo, it's the only one I haven't already read reviews of and tbh, I don't even know what it is (/clicks google)
Old 06-07-2012, 06:32 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

The only one of any interest to me is the Dingo, it's the only one I haven't already read reviews of and tbh, I don't even know what it is (/clicks google)
SCX10 with a slightly shorter wheelbase. Actually the one I wanted originally when I got my honcho but wasn't available in kit form...

Go for the Axial Ridgecrest that one I've heard mixed things on, but it looks damn cool IMO

Side note you guys get paid for that site? Seriously?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:41 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: Foxy

SCX10 with a slightly shorter wheelbase. Actually the one I wanted originally when I got my honcho but wasn't available in kit form...

Go for the Axial Ridgecrest that one I've heard mixed things on, but it looks damn cool IMO

Side note you guys get paid for that site? Seriously?
Yep, sure do. That's what funds my hobby spending :P
Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 PM
littlemel
My Feedback: (4)

22T
Old 06-07-2012, 05:15 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the Axial Wraith, best of both worlds, crawler meets bashed...
If ur gonna be stuck with it after and u are selling ur rustler, IMO is would be just as fun as the rustler was and as fun as a dedicated crawler and will out crawl the dingo.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

I'm a huge fan of the Axial Wraith, best of both worlds, crawler meets bashed...
If ur gonna be stuck with it after and u are selling ur rustler, IMO is would be just as fun as the rustler was and as fun as a dedicated crawler and will out crawl the dingo.
Yeah I would like to have a Wraith kit, but I've seen a lot of videos over it and it just seems like it's more for crawling than anything. Too high of COG after 15mph or so. I will probably get the Exo or the 22T. Either way, I will be getting the XR10 later this summer, so it's all good . What would you personally rather see me review?
Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't help you with a suggestion, but glad to see ModelKits.com is growing. It's been a few months since I checked out that site, and looks like there is some pretty good information on it.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 PM
phmaximus

Exo, with a few action figures hanging out
Old 06-08-2012, 08:04 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I can't help you with a suggestion, but glad to see ModelKits.com is growing. It's been a few months since I checked out that site, and looks like there is some pretty good information on it.
Yeah it won't be too long before we're getting free kits sent to us by companies to be reviewed! That's gonna be sweet!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:06 AM
thehuntingterminator

Well, to tell you the truth I would rather have the Exo personally, seeing as how cool it looks and that it's 4wd, but it would be more beneficial of the site to get the 22T, since no big name person/organization has done a series on it.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:28 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tell you what, send me the all the cars and I will tell you which one I like better!

I would say try the buggy.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:26 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Yeah it won't be too long before we're getting free kits sent to us by companies to be reviewed! That's gonna be sweet!
there is one problem with that when that happens people stop believengthe articles, cause lets face it most places I've seen that get RC's that way(or are paid by the companies for advertisement space) the RC can be a complete pile of crap, and it will still get a rave review cause they are afraid the company will stop sending them RC's or pull ads... I've seen it on sites, and in other facets of life like video game reviews.
My favorite bogus review was one for some redcat a few years back got 5 stars but the running video showed 3 parts break in the 1st jump(one was the wing mount)... but it got top scores in durability (redcat also has a lot of advertisements on the site)
Old 06-09-2012, 02:28 AM
jayjay283

there is one problem with that when that happens people stop believengthe articles, cause lets face it most places I've seen that get RC's that way(or are paid by the companies for advertisement space) the RC can be a complete pile of crap, and it will still get a rave review cause they are afraid the company will stop sending them RC's or pull ads... I've seen it on sites, and in other facets of life like video game reviews.
My favorite bogus review was one for some redcat a few years back got 5 stars but the running video showed 3 parts break in the 1st jump(one was the wing mount)... but it got top scores in durability (redcat also has a lot of advertisements on the site)

exactly, YAY you got a free xxxx and it preformed flawlessly !!! SELL OUT
Old 06-09-2012, 05:50 AM
phmaximus

Well, to tell you the truth I would rather have the Exo personally, seeing as how cool it looks and that it's 4wd, but it would be more beneficial of the site to get the 22T, since no big name person/organization has done a series on it.

Ahh makes sence, one pluss... I know u loved the Rustler and ur needs have outgrown it, need for speed
In the long run the exo has some serious preformance abilitys over the others, will be a whole new ball game preformance wise.
Dare say I will get that thing flying

How much better is the TLR T22 over a race spec rustler? Kinda the same thing, just a little bit faster?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:54 AM
phmaximus

How cool do they look... And that 4wd... How many times have u got a 2wd stuck, where a 4wd would just push on
Old 06-09-2012, 05:56 AM
thehuntingterminator

Let's get something straight: I get paid by my employer, and the RCs are bought by him, not given to us by a company. So, they are still very true and unbiased.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:59 AM
phmaximus

The EXO would look cool with a micro SCT strapped to the back, it would be like they have a 1/4 Rc
Old 06-09-2012, 08:44 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Let's get something straight: I get paid by my employer, and the RCs are bought by him, not given to us by a company. So, they are still very true and unbiased.
You misunderstood me I'm not saying anything about getting the kits sent by an employer, and getting paid to review them that is perfectly fine. Or that is what you do currently. That was all directed at the bolded statement below you made

Once that happens is when you get the if you don't give us a favorable review no more freebies, and we pull everything from you type thing happens. That kind of thing happens a lot more than you could imagine. Lets face it if you were a company and you give a $300-400 item to some guy to review, and he said negative things even if you knew it was a complete steaming pile of crap would you send him anything else? No cause if people read that chances are they will listen to it, and if you send another screwed up product and get another bad review your reputation goes lower. Its all how the world works (unfortunately).

Only reviews I personally will read, and give them ANY kind of integrity are the ones that are done by every day people or the places (like jangs) that go out, and buy the RC's themselves off the store shelves to show you exactly what you are going to get instead of a company sending a box to you that the contents were inspected carefully to make sure the items in 100% perfect condition.
I only read the ones where you know they are getting freebies from the manufacturers when I want a good laugh seeing a good chunk are so far off the average consumers experience
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM
thehuntingterminator

Well guys I went with the Savage XS SS kit. The RTR had been pretty controversial, but I've heard virtually nothing about the kit, so I went with it. For electronics I am going with a HW 60a ESC, 540 4 pole motor (not sure which one, but around 3000kv), Traxxas 2056 servo (had it in spare parts bin), and HK 3s 3600mah lipo for a battery. The thing should be crazy powerful and a whole lot of fun, not to mention how cool it's gonna look. I am teaming up with RPM to do an RPM based paint scheme, so it should look pretty sick! There will be a ten part build series of the kit, an unboxing of it at first, a review, a pros and cons video, a setup video, and an unboxing and review for each of the electronics (beside servo since used). It's going to make for a really fun and insanely capable kit, so be sure to follow us at modelkits! I haven't mentioned this yet but I will be getting an Axial XR10 at the end of July which will likely be done like the Savage, with content and all. The site is getting big quickly guys, so be sure to check it out. Let me know if anyone would be interested in writing for it or has any questions.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:35 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, not one of our orig choices, but a good choice none-the-less

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.