Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Rebuild OS RZ-B or Buy new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Reza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild OS RZ-B or Buy new engine?

Hi all,
I have an OS RZ-B in my Inferno MP-5 that I purchased about 8 years ago. I wasn't using it for 5 years (grad school) and have gotten back into it in the past few months. My compression on my RZ-B is not what it used to be (it is pretty old and was sitting on a shelf for several years) and I was thinking of doing a rebuild. But a new piston and sleeve at tower hobbies is $93. I could get a new OS VZ-B or Paris Picco XP-21 pro BV or REX p5 for the $240-280 range. What should I do? Obviously I'd prefer to spend less money, but is it better to get a new motor or rebuild one? Also if I get the picco or the Rex I'll probably have to buy a new manifold or are these standardized?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Henderson

I'd rebuild it because it's way cheaper. Who knows, after you rebuild it you may find that you're happy with the engine and you'll have a couple hundred bucks to spare. I've been drooling over the OS VZ-B(P) at my LHS but let's face it if you're racing it comes down to the driver rather than having the latest engine. (That OS is calling my name though).
Old 09-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Nitroaddict

reza - i had a simliar problem last week, when one of my
RZ(VO1B)'s let go ans snapped a connecting rod and the piston. The rod, sleeve and piston totalled almost 150.00 from tower. But.......once replaced, the engine will be almost brand new. I say go with the rebuild, unless u have a ton of expendable income, and can afford a new mill.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:27 PM
Reza

Thanks for the reply. I guess both of you are right because it is a lot cheaper and it will be like new afterwards... A new RZ-B... man that OS VZ-B(P) looks really cool. And it would only be $150 more than getting a new sleeve and piston. But that's money that could be spent on fuel. ARGHHH, expensive hobby!
Old 09-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Henderson

Default ARGHHH, expensive hobby!

I thought my other hobby, motocross/trail riding, was expensive but RC blows it out of the water. RC stuff has got to be the biggest rip-off i have ever seen but it's so addictive that everybody including me pays the high prices. Some things you can save money on...i would never buy bearings from my LHS because you can go to a bearing company and get the same spec bearings for 1/4 the price. Same thing for thread lock, after-run oil, shock oil etc.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:46 PM
d16z6

Why not get the sleeved pinched/squeezed by OSRocket's method? I've heard of nothing but good praises as I will try it out myself when time comes. As long as the chrome plating isn't flaking off or aren't any deep scratches on the mating surfaces, it will give you some extended life. I wouldn't expect it to run like 'new', but somewhere around 'good as new'.

I think he sells his service on ebay for ~$25 which includes the S&H back to you.

What have you got to lose? It won't cost you an arm and a leg.