Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twin Air

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 05:45 PM
skier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Air

I have an Tower hobbies Trainer, Easy Sport and may soon be getting a Yellow Aircraft Sukhoi as a winter project. My question is would a Twin Air be a good plane after that? Or should I fly a few more before getting a twin
Old 09-03-2003, 11:13 PM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

Default Twin Air

Go for it dude!

I was flying a Twinstar within a year of learning to fly. Just educate yourself on the unique characteristics of what can happen with engine out situations.

Hopefully you have a club member who has twin experience that can help you.

Check out RCWarbirds.com and read Twinman's info. That would be a great start to find out what you're getting into.

After that it's up to you to control the addiction!!!
Old 09-04-2003, 05:01 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Twin Air

Skier:

The Twin-Air 45 is an excellent twin trainer, and a pretty good aerobat too.

To prepare yourself, make a conscious effort to use the rudder when you make turns. With many single engined R/C planes you can get away with using only the ailerons to turn, and really, you can with a twin too, until you are flying with the engines out of sync. That could be from a few hundred rpm all the way to one dead. Learn the rudder.

And have fun with it - it's addictive.

Bill.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:26 AM
skier

Default Twin Air

Yea I do use the rudder on turns. I like to do rudder turns 10 feet or so off the ground. Just recently started trying inverted. Thanks for your info
Old 09-04-2003, 11:53 AM
afra

Default Twin Air

Bill,

What size 4-strokes would you recommend for the Twin-air - 30 or 52's and why?

I have read your post's about the Twin-air and have decided on this as the next project as my first twin.

btw - I e-mailed Northeast Aerodynamics with this same question and they have yet to answer.

Thanks,

Scott.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:46 PM
William Robison

Default Twin Air

Scott:

Two stroke 0.30 engines will fly the Twin-Air if you watch the weight, but performance wont be "Sparkling." Four stroke 0.30 engines probably will still fly the plane, but you would have the model equivalent of a PA-23/150. Enough power to get you in trouble, but not enough to get you out. The 0.52 engines would be a much better choice.

Equivalent power to the 40-46 two stroke would need a four stroke around 0.72, but you are going toward losing one of the nicest things about the Twin-Air; its light weight.

Four stroke engines, when you are up at 1.20 size and larger, will pretty much hold their own with the two strokes, but down in this size range the two stroke glow is king.

If you really want 4c engines on the Twin-Air you can do it, and it will fly nicely. Just use relatively light weight ones.

I'd say use Saitos. Not only are they my "Pet" four stroke engines, they have a very good power to weight ratio, and when broken in and set up properly they are dead-bolt reliable.

Bill.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:52 PM
William Robison

Default Twin Air

Scott:

Added:

Don't understand why John wouldn't have answered you, but you didn't say when you sent the email either. Sometimes it takes him a couple days, Northeast Aerodynamics is anything but a big company.

Send him a check or MO for $154.95, that will cover the TA kit and postage to the lower 48.

Or you can call him and read off the number on your plastic. The last T-A 45 I ordered that way, it was at my door two days later.

Bill.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:15 PM
afra

Default Twin Air

Bill,

Thanks for the quick reply!

You ask why 4-strokes - nothing more than the sound of 4-strokes and can you imagine the sound of them synchronized up on a twin - WOW. Looks like I'll be saving up for a pair of 52's!

Not sure why Northeast didn't return my e-mail (from last week) - maybe I sent it to the wrong address - no big deal. They sound like a great company to do business with and I will be in the near future.

Scott.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:50 PM
William Robison

Default Twin Air

Scott:

Use:

[email protected]

Bill.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:55 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Default Twin Air

I sent them an e-mail over two weeks ago asking about the release of their TwinAir 60. I still havent received a reply.
Mybe he is on vacation.

Greg