Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Inspecting a used RC car buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Inspecting a used RC car buy?

I've been into planes for about 7 years now and can spot problems with them even through grainy Craigslist pictures, but cars are new to me. If I were to be contemplating the purchase of a used nitro car, truck, buggy, etc, what are the common things I should check? Specifically, does a good car engine have that snappy compression at the top like a good plane engine does? How should the shocks feel? What is commonly broken? What kinds of problems aren't obvious?
Old 07-09-2012, 12:37 PM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Inspecting a used RC car buy?

Guess it really depends on the make and model in question. The engine should give resistance at the top of the stroke.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM
jester_s1

It's a Jato 3.3, at least that's what the seller thinks. He says he got it in a trade and doesn't know anything about it. That's a red flag normally for me by itself, but I have exactly $5 in the item he wants me to give him for it so it's not the end of the world if I have to invest a few bucks into it. I just don't want to get into the thing and wind up spending as much on it as I could have bought a good used one for.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Difficult to tell from pictures, but bearings are always the best teller if you ask me. Someone who looks after their car will keep their bearings healthy, also drivetrain wear, look at pins of dogbones, etc, drive cups, if a set is nearly worn out, the car has been well used.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:35 PM
jester_s1

How about inspecting the clutch and transmission? Is there a simple way to see if they are worn or broken without running the vehicle?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

clutch isn't a huge issue as clutch shoes are generally around $10 a set, and outside starting it up there's no real way to tell if the shoes are good or not.
Tranny if it rolls freely should be ok. Its hard to tel outside that without opening it up and looking at how each gears worn

But yea as others said in nitro common place is engine those are usually trashed from my experiences buying used nitros.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:21 PM
thehuntingterminator

Well, if you meet the guy, make him run it for a good ten minutes or so and let the engine get hot. If nothing happens, then the engine is *probably* alright.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 PM
jester_s1

He doesn't have any fuel to run it with and I don't either. I suppose it's cheap insurance to buy some but that would require learning about starting and tuning these things since he doesn't seem to know anything. I get the impression he's impulsive and lazy, which fits the profile of most of the people I buy stuff from. They take the big hit on value and I come along and snatch items up cheap when they get bored with it or realize it's going to require some thought to do the hobby. If he were the sort to get the car all tuned up and ready to go he wouldn't be the sort to let it go as cheap as he is.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:26 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

loose wheels (bearings) cracked rims (impact) loose steering linkage (use and abuse) squeaky shocks (need rebuild) scraped up chassis plate (use and abuse) look for drive shaft wallowing and pinion to spur wear, spin the drive wheels to see if they move separately smoothly (diff)
Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

He doesn't have any fuel to run it with and I don't either. I suppose it's cheap insurance to buy some but that would require learning about starting and tuning these things since he doesn't seem to know anything. I get the impression he's impulsive and lazy, which fits the profile of most of the people I buy stuff from. They take the big hit on value and I come along and snatch items up cheap when they get bored with it or realize it's going to require some thought to do the hobby. If he were the sort to get the car all tuned up and ready to go he wouldn't be the sort to let it go as cheap as he is.
I know exactly the type of person you mean, and I would never buy a hobby grade RC from them. He wont't have performed even basic maintenance. I would walk away.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:41 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently just bought a MGT 8.0 from ebay like that, it worked out for me, he knew ZERO about it, however iv'e bought other MT from ebay and they where so hacked and beat each one would require $200 worth of work to get running again, I got my money back though.

I would walk, if you buy it understand its a huge gamble.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:44 PM
jester_s1

Well if I go ahead I'll have $5 invested in it plus some gas by the time I get it home. Like I said above I'm just not looking to spend another $100 to be able to play with it. If the deal even winds up working out I'll let you fellows know how it goes.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 PM
s7jstep1

i would go for it. if you find that its going to take too much money to run, you can always part it out on ebay. im sure you can get your $5 out of it if it doesnt work out. another jato owner would gladly pay more than that for a usable parts car. you sound kinda like me (always looking for a good deal). sometimes its a risk. with only $5 on the line, i would go for it. good luck [8D]
Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 PM
s7jstep1

any update? did you go for it or pass?