Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Several Gee Bee ARFs avail- What's your opinion?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Several Gee Bee ARFs avail- What's your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 05:17 PM
BarryMiller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several Gee Bee ARFs avail- What's your opinion?

Hello All,

For the longest time, I've been wanting to buy the Kyosho Gee Bee .40. Now that I'm finally ready to buy it, a recent search on the web has uncovered some other Gee Bee ARFs on the market. I'm hoping some of you may know something about the other models and may be able to a\offer some opinion or insight to make a comparison easier!

The other Gee Bee ARFs I'm considering are:

1) Gee Bee R2, 71", produced by Aero Model Design Ltd (AMD), a Hong Kong company. Their web site is:
www.amd.org.hk/index.shtml ... the only problem is that their Gee Bee is not shown on their web site!

Excel Hobby is the American Distibutor, and it IS shown on their web site. Their Gee Bee web page is:
www.excelhobby.com/excel_hobby_006.htm ... it lists for $450.

2) The other Gee Bee ARF I found is also a R2,and has exactly the same dimensions and markings of the first one. It's marketed / produced(?) by Kondor Model Products (KMP). Their Gee Bee web page is:
www.kmp.ca/esm/products/geebee.htm ... it lists for $350.

After a closer look, I suspect that these two airplanes are actually the SAME kit! Too many simularities between the two for this not to be the case. Probably manufactured by AMD and distributed and imported by both Excel Hobby and KMD.

If any of you can offer any insight or have some opinions about these other Gee Bee ARFs, I'd greatly appreciate it! How do (they) compare to the Kyosho model? Of course, these models are bigger and are in a different style, but how do they compare for workmanship, flying charatceristics, ease of assembly, quality, etc?

Also, I'm aware of the larger Gee Bee R2 kits produced by Northwest Hobby Technologies (85"), and Fiber Classics (93"). But these are kits and someday I'll be able to devote some time to a kit, but today I'm interested in what's available in the ARF world.

If you know of any other Gee Bee R2s or even "Z"s, please share!

Much Thanks in advance,

Barry Miller
Old 01-06-2003, 09:38 AM
RCaddict2003

Another good one here :}

http://www.ultimate-rc.com/pac.htm

82" !
Old 01-06-2003, 11:10 PM
GeeBeeJim-delete

<blockquote>Quote
<hr>Originally posted by: BarryMiller

If any of you can offer any insight or have some opinions about these other Gee Bee ARFs, I'd greatly appreciate it! How do (they) compare to the Kyosho model? Of course, these models are bigger and are in a different style, but how do they compare for workmanship, flying charatceristics, ease of assembly, quality, etc?

Also, I'm aware of the larger Gee Bee R2 kits produced by Northwest Hobby Technologies (85"), and Fiber Classics (93"). But these are kits and someday I'll be able to devote some time to a kit, but today I'm interested in what's available in the ARF world.

If you know of any other Gee Bee R2s or even "Z"s, please share!

Much Thanks in advance,

Barry Miller<hr></blockquote>

Barry: Keep in mind that bigger always flies better. I cannot offer you any advice on the ARF's mentioned, except the Kyosho. I am presently flying one with a Thunder Tiger Pro .46. ( ideally it should have a .60 ) You must have experience to fly this and other Gee Bee's. If you are intent on an ARF, then the Kyosho is probably your best bet; Maybe leaving the built-up version to later in life.

Presently, I am building the NWHobbytech model "Z", and it is labor intensive.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kyosho Z.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	47  
Old 01-07-2003, 01:43 AM
BarryMiller

Matt,

Thanks for the web site... I checked it out. I must admit though, I'm not crazy about the "Y" model. I like the lines, curves, and overall appearance of the "R2", and maybe even the "Z" model. But the R2 is my favorite. Though the car looked good!

Thanks for the reply,

Barry
Old 01-07-2003, 01:49 AM
BarryMiller

Jim,

Thanks for the reply, and the picture looks great! The Kyosho model certainly is a sharp looking airplane- that's why I've had my eye on it for such a long time (been out of RC for over a year... stationed overseas).

And I agree with you- bigger does fly better! The airplanes I asked about in my original message ARE ARFs! So since they're bigger, and since I prefer the R2 over the Z, I was wondering if they're worth the extra money. I guess that's the bottom line of my question.

BTW- I see some familiar looking mountains in the backgraound of your pic... I just moved to the Phoenix area...

Thanks again for the reply!

Barry
Old 01-07-2003, 10:12 PM
GeeBeeJim-delete

No, the mountains in the background are at our field here in Tucson. I do attend the Phoenix 1/8th Airforce scale events twice a year though. One in the Spring, and one in the Fall. The next one should be at Cave Creek, March 22 - 23.

The NWHobbytech "Z" that I'm working on now is my 5th Gee Bee. Two Y's, and 3 Z's. Yes, I like the Z. It was the first of the Stubby's built in 1931, and the original.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:50 AM
cubflipper02
Banned

I purchased the R2 through excel hobby and so far am very happy.Powering mine with a asp 1.20 fourstroke,needed to add about 7 oz of weight to the nose.Hardware is junk,toss the pushrods,clevis's.Real nice fiberglass fuse and cowl(mine was damaged in shipping).Sheeted foam core wings.Hinges are hinge point style and predrilled and installed,but must be glued in.I'll have to wait till the snow melts to fly this one.It is big barrel of an airplane.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:37 PM
thehoker
My Feedback: (193)

Default RE: Several Gee Bee ARFs avail- What's your opinion?

I have 2 gee bees the NWHT R2,(is fun to build), and a 71" ARF, not kmp though.
This kit sells for 199.99 on ebay,I bought this kit kind of expecting to be dissapointed, but when it arrived all I can say is WOW.
This is a very nice ,easy to build kit.A friend has the kmp model(thats why I had to have one), when mine arrived he came over to gloat on my mistake,and ended up a very angry fellow.This kit appears to be an exact clone to the kmp, right down to the photos on the box and crude instructions,itseems to be the same kit, and at 150.00 cheaper, well what can I say.
I am going to start it this weekend, going to go with my old trusty webra 120 2 stroker(best running glow engine I ever owned).
I hope this info helps.
The seller is very nice to deal with, very proffesional, and a fast shipper.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:14 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

thehoker

I baught the same one as you... I have the wings together... How much of the hardware are you changing? I'm putting a OS 120 in mine... I'm in NY so I have a while till I can fly it... Everything seems to be very good in the kit. Belly pan seems no to fit real well. Will have to play with that... Get back to me on what you have done to yours... Thanks LEE
Old 12-22-2003, 12:38 AM
Born to Fly

I love GEE BEE, but read about the loading on each wing is very very high for such a big plane with a little wind area.

Cute plane. Any video to show how a GEE BEE fly, I never thought that thing could fly.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:43 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

I have an Pacific Air Gee Bee Y with a G-26 in the nose of it...Last year flew it with a G-23 and this year switched to a G-26,swinging a APC 17-6 prop...Am happy with this combo and the plane is a great flier....My 2 cents worth...
Old 01-24-2004, 07:28 PM
kmurray

Jim - What is the actual wing chord of the Kyosho Gee Bee Z ?
Old 01-24-2004, 08:10 PM
BULL-RCU

Thehoker,
I have the same GEE BEE as you... Are those instructions the worst...? I have 8 planes and this one has the worst instructions you could imagine... The plane is really sweet for the money... How far are you with yours? I change the clevis and thinking of puting a pull / pull on the rudder. Did you modify yours? Thanks
Old 01-24-2004, 09:00 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to take a look at the new Gee Bee R2 from Great Planes. At least they have a reputation for good quality, good customer service and airplanes that actually fly well.

Jim
Old 02-11-2004, 11:23 PM
BULL-RCU

thehoker;

How are you coming on your Gee Bee? I'm pretty far on mine... Changed all the hardware. I used Du-bro heavyduty clevises on elivator / Hangar 9 8-32 Swivel clevis horn on the rudder / upgraded to 4 - 40 push rods and baught a longer screw through the rudder to get proper length. Plan on doing something with the landing gear... they don't line up and when I tried to give them a little twist one broke. I think I will put in a set of Robart struts like used in the Ryan or 500 series 674's. I'm worried about the gear bending on landing if I just replace with better grade Piano wire. Overall the ARF is very good quality... Going with the 120 OS motor. Using jr 537s most, but will probably go to a little higher torque servo on the rudder. Was going to use a pull/ pull on the rudder but decided it was too much of a pain because of the width at the rudder and trying to match at the servo end. Hope you get back to me... Also how does your friends KMP fly? Let me know what you did with your or what you plan on doing for changes. Thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 05:46 PM
flyindude
My Feedback: (1)

Try a Y..... Love my 82" Pacific Aeromodels Gee Bee Y. Saito 180.... SWEET!
Old 02-26-2004, 07:09 PM
BULL-RCU

I want the Yellow and Black one from them... It's awsome!
Old 05-07-2004, 10:47 AM
rcspec

flyindude,

I ordered a Y this week. Does the 180 drink alot of fuel on this plane? Considering a G26.

Jim
Old 05-07-2004, 10:56 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The 1.80 drinks a lot of fuel on any airplane, but if you use 15% nitro and fly most of the time at half throttle you can easily get 8-10 flights per $12 gallon.

Jim
Old 05-07-2004, 08:18 PM
fairplay
My Feedback: (4)

What do you guys think of the great planes gee bee?