Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

NiMH for T-Maxx RADIO/Rx & Tx

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 06:06 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NiMH for T-Maxx RADIO/Rx & Tx

Wondering what my best options are for upgrading to NiMH rechargables for my brand new T-Maxx? I won't be a heavy racer, but I still think rechargables make sense in terms of economics & performance (particularly the Rx pack, performance-wise!).

I have learned a bit about the receiver pack options-seems like Ballistic Battery pack is the best option, as it includes a new case (makes for super easy install?), improved switch & wiring & good cells. But at $50, I was hoping others might offer some other alternatives that are good & less money.

As for the transmitter, I'm wondering what others have successfully rigged up? Do you just get a lot of NiMH AAs (what brands & mah levels are best?) & charge 'em with a std. external 8-10 cell AA/AAA charger (again, what brand!!)?

Or can/should you set up 8AA NiMH cells "permenently" in your Tx & wire in an external jack that you can connect directly to your charger? One hobby shop guy I talked to said this is the way to go, another said I should NOT charge Tx cells while they're still in the Tx. Gee, I'm sure that's really rare in the world of R/C

FWIW, I'm about to get a DuraTrax IntelliPeak Deluxe charger, as I want one good charger for my 7.2V starter pack & the radio batteries that I'm asking about.

Thanks for helping out a newbie!!

Dean Smith
Old 09-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Kuma
My Feedback: (1)

I use Ni-CD in transmitter (Futaba pack) and charge directly into it, if you use MH in the transmitter and charge through it and happen to overcharge it chances are it'll fry the circuit since MH resists and overheats when full. I use 1800 flat MH packs for receivers and they're great, and were cheap $24 for a pair on ebay from onlybatteries I think, they offer 1100 humps for $14-20.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

i just posted over in the MT section about the reciver pack sold by blindbatts.com that he specifically makes for t-maxxes. it is actually smaller than the 4 cell battery holder and it is still a 5cell pack which makes it fit great in your excisting box. I use his batteries for my micro and bought a reciever pack from him for my bro';s t-maxx