Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

3 gear retracts ( How to)

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

3 gear retracts ( How to)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 04:41 PM
RyanG
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 gear retracts ( How to)

can anyone help me out. I am building a prop jet and have never used 3 gear retracts. Do they all operate from one servo or not. If so how. Am i just better of with spring air. Never used them and don't know ifthe neaumatic is as much of a hassle as it seems.

Thank you

Ryan
Old 04-21-2002, 06:38 PM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retracts

If you use mechanical retracts, I'd use a separate servo for the nose gear. You'll need at least one 180-degree servo for the mains.

Spring Airs solve some problems, by eliminating mechanical tinkering, as long as you have room for the small air tank. They're also nice because they WILL come down if you run out of air. The instructions are very clear, and they're not difficult to install, since your only connections are air lines, and a regular (even a "mini") servo will work fine to operate the valve. Another bonus is that since you have air lines and not pushrod linkages, they're easy to move from one plane to another.

Depending on the size of your model, you may want to do some weight comparisons, since Spring Airs are a bit heavy for a small model.