Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Bent Crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 09:50 PM
matt mccurry
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Crankshaft

OK guys, I need help. While I was flying my Giant Stinger my engine fell off. That's right, it fell off. Luckily my airframe is fine. My engine is not. That's where you come in.

I have a Byron Mustand 50. At least that is what I've been told.
It has a bent crankshaft. It's not bad, but just enough that when you turn it over, you notice it. It is/was a fine running engine.
Please help tell me what to do with it. Who to send it to, throw it away, or let a small engine shop turn it out.
I bought this over the net and didn't look at the firewall area good enough.
Thanks for any input and please help.
M
Old 04-21-2002, 11:05 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bent Crankshaft

There's a guy on here that goes by the name of rcignition and if he cannot do the job, he can tell you who can.

You need to be accustomed to taking these kinds apart and getting them back together without doing more harm than good. They are not hard if you are used to it.

rcignition hangs out around the big engines more often. Do a search for him and E-mail him.

Most any local machine shop would be able to straighten the crank for you. But you need to know the knack of getting it apart and back together. The case should be warmed up a little to get the crank out and you may need a special way to remove the hub etc. Maybe you are this kind of person? typically to get the crank back in is not exactly the way it came apart. I'm speaking of which bearing goes where when. If you have never done this, it may be more worth while to have it done or get someone to help you.

good luck

Jim

Jim
Old 04-22-2002, 01:16 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bent Crankshaft

Ralph's address is [email protected]

He is very good. If he can't fix it, I don't think anyone can. Drop him a note.

Ken