Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 55-RA

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DLE 55-RA

I thought I knew what engine I was going to buy until I found this.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../dleg0455.html

What do you guys think? I was going to get a DA-60 but this rear exhaust has peaked my interest. I have one DLE product (20cc) and am happy with it so far. And this 55 even comes with an angle plug and a pitts muffler. If the stand offs are the right length that would just be another bonus. I could not ask for a less expensive way to get my 50cc Ultimate together and still get good performance and light weight.

EDIT// Just noticed that both are advertised to have 5.5 HP with the original 55 @ 7500 RPM and the 55-RA @ 8500 RPM. Not sure just moving the power band up in the RPM spectrum is what I want for 3D. Lower end grunt is more the ticket.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77679.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1796626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24189.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1796627  
Old 08-30-2012, 04:31 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLE 55-RA

I am surprised if you visit these forums that you have not heard about this one sooner. If money is no issue, I would get the DA60. If it is, the 55 will be a great engine also.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:35 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 369 Likes on 297 Posts

There is a difference. I don't think the difference is worth the cost difference
Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

I am surprised if you visit these forums that you have not heard about this one sooner. If money is no issue, I would get the DA60. If it is, the 55 will be a great engine also.
I did a search in the forum and found no reference to the engine. I had to go to FG's to find anything. If there is a thread here on RCU on this engine, please point me to it. When I get to a PC that I can view youtube on, I will search for it there as well.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The new DLE {RA} series engines

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11189470/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11148673/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11187500/tm.htm
Old 08-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Mr67Stang

Not much in those threads and the one on the 55-RA is only 3 weeks old and only lasted about 24 hours. So, I'm not surprised this is the first I've heard of it. I'll take a look on the youtube for it.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:27 AM
w8ye

The engine is essentially not been in stock long enough for there to have been much said about it.

There has been more interest in the 35 and the twin 60
Old 08-30-2012, 01:38 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

As a DA-60 owner, I spent the extra money for a few reasons. 1) I knew the DA was going to be a quality piece and their warranty and service were excellent. 2) I have a hunch that 3,4 or 5 years from now the DA will still be going strong. The DLE might be also, but the odds have to be better with the DA. 3) I have heard that DLE has more failures in the ignition boxes. 4) I always wanted a DA engine on a AW airframe.
My reasons may not hold water with everyone, but such is life. I can say without a doubt the DA is a power house. I am 14 flights into it. It's hard to hover the 17.5 pound Extra 300 because it wants to climb with every touch of the throttle. Sunday when I was flying it one of the guys commented it was still gaining speed going straight up @ about 500'. Don't know if that's true but verticle is VERY strong. So while I could have saved a few hundred with the DLE. I am glad I went with the DA.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22092.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1796782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92806.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	1796783  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 PM
w8ye

There's a half dozen DA 60's at the local flying field. No failures. Everyone likes them.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:27 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've have a DLE 55. Have had it for almost four year's. Run's as good as the day I bought it, actually as good as the first time running it. It has been thru 3 different airframe's and so far the only thing I have had to do is replace the fuel line. Still has the first NGK put in it.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:07 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: daveopam

As a DA-60 owner, I spent the extra money for a few reasons. 1) I knew the DA was going to be a quality piece and their warranty and service were excellent. 2) I have a hunch that 3,4 or 5 years from now the DA will still be going strong. The DLE might be also, but the odds have to be better with the DA. 3) I have heard that DLE has more failures in the ignition boxes. 4) I always wanted a DA engine on a AW airframe.
My reasons may not hold water with everyone, but such is life. I can say without a doubt the DA is a power house. I am 14 flights into it. It's hard to hover the 17.5 pound Extra 300 because it wants to climb with every touch of the throttle. Sunday when I was flying it one of the guys commented it was still gaining speed going straight up @ about 500'. Don't know if that's true but verticle is VERY strong. So while I could have saved a few hundred with the DLE. I am glad I went with the DA.

David
Why are the odds better with a Da 60 over the DLE? Because it costs more?

Mr 67 stang the DLE 35 and 55 rear exhaust was announced over 4 months ago. lol
You must check the gas forums at least once every two days as new engines are announced all the time. maybe not this week or month but follow these forums closely.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 AM
TimBle

Did'nt take long for the "buy DA" fanclub to hijack a DLE thread did it.<div>
</div><div>insecurity?</div>
Old 08-31-2012, 01:28 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Did'nt take long for the ''buy DA'' fanclub to hijack a DLE thread did it.<div>
</div><div>insecurity?</div>
If you look at my opening post, you will see I am considering the DA-60 as well. In fact was set on it until I found this engine. I am leaning back to the DA-60 anyway though.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:23 AM
BarracudaHockey

DA is a great engine but please don't think because they cost more they are trouble free. You're paying for the outstanding service they have, and indeed they do have it.

DLE used to be just another Chineese engine, but Great Planes imports them now and Hobby Services (Futaba, OS) services and supports them.

The 60 does have more power than the DLE-55, no denying that.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

either engine is a good choice i have both but it appears my DA has more power , but as i say both are very good engines and both very reliable
and it is not insecurity it is called made in the USA but most have forgotten that!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

DLE used to be just another Chineese engine, but Great Planes imports them now and Hobby Services (Futaba, OS) services and supports them.
Ummm.... if there was a reason NOT to buy something that would be it....

Now if Jody was still hanging his hat at Valley View, and that still may be the place to buy 'em but I wouldn't buy something covered by Hobby Services. Every experience I've had with them has been crummy and it is in fact the reason I quit using Futaba radios. Some folks say they've had good luck with Hobby Services (they do ALL the service work for Hobbico who owns Great Planes, Tower and many other companies) but that is contrary to my experience.

JMHO.

Man I think I'm going to give up on this website. The stupid thing starts hanging up about 7AM Mountain Time and gets worse as the day goes on. You try to add photos to ads or threads or edit something and the stupid website hangs up. Get out, flush the cache, restart the browser and it MAY work. It's no wonder the number of ads posted and the forum posts as well have been dropping like a rock for some time now.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:48 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Did'nt take long for the ''buy DA'' fanclub to hijack a DLE thread did it.<div></div><div>insecurity?</div>
If you look at my opening post, you will see I am considering the DA-60 as well. In fact was set on it until I found this engine. I am leaning back to the DA-60 anyway though.

Well if oth are under consideration then I'd say go with the engine that is best supported. I don't own a DA but a few lcub mates do and some are happy, others not so happy. All the guys owning a DLE55 seem to be happy though. Maybe price has something to do with that.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 AM
acerc

Dessert Aircraft does not state they manufacture anything. There manual say's they designed the crank, piston, and cylinder's. And that those part's were manufactured for DA. Does not say manufactured by DA. So where are these part's actually manufactured? And why is there only a 2 year warranty in the states when europen warrenties are 5 years.  HMMMMM
Old 08-31-2012, 09:28 AM
BarracudaHockey

Because we love running crappy oil in them and blowing them up!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:48 AM
acerc

Well if that's the case, why not do it to a cheaper engine and save ourselve's some money?
Old 09-01-2012, 12:28 AM
TimBle

+1
Old 09-01-2012, 06:48 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

With out re hijacking this thread. It should be noted DA runs and tunes every engine before it is shipped. This cost money. The cosmetics of the engine are better. This cost money. The stock spark plug can be used for more than a paper weight. This cost money. Their service is second to none. This cost money.
When I have to save for almost a year to put a big plane together a few hundred dollars more to buy the best is worth it. At least to me. Insecurity has nothing to do with it.

David
Old 09-01-2012, 09:43 PM
MTK

I have 2 regular side exhaust DLE55s. The engine's field manners have been superb. The throttle response at mid throttle and hi throttle has been outstanding as has the low end. I have one of mine piped and soft mounted, turning a 20x12 Mejzlik carbon 3 blade prop. Noise suppression is hard to understand with the written word...one needs to actually hear the quietness of this set-up to really get it.....

Now to the RA, has anybody piped this one yet? The rear exhaust arrangement lends itself perfectly to a piped set-up
Old 09-02-2012, 04:11 AM
AJsToyz

ORIGINAL: acerc

Dessert Aircraft does not state they manufacture anything. There manual say's they designed the crank, piston, and cylinder's. And that those part's were manufactured for DA. Does not say manufactured by DA. So where are these part's actually manufactured? And why is there only a 2 year warranty in the states when europen warrenties are 5 years. HMMMMM
ORIGINAL: daltonaviation

ORIGINAL: Piston

Hey All

The 23/10 will swing about at about 6700-6900 depending on the prop combo. As T3beatz states the engine will also swing the 24/8. It all depends on the airframe and what you want to do with it in the air! You will not go wrong with the 23/10.

I have a selection of props every time I fly a new plane, and I will ''dial'' in the engine/prop combo over a couple of weeks of flying.

The 50cc pics that T3beatz posted. Interesting eh!!!!!

There ARE 2 versions of the RCGF 50cc. One has the cast crankcase and one is cnc'd out of billet aluminum. The one posted on the zrcgf. com site is the cast crankcase. This is because the we are still testing and evaluating the new model engine. Still some minor issues, that we are working through with the factory, and it will be ready for prime time. We will be updating the web site with the new model very shortly. Our next shipment will have the Aerovate 50cc B engine complete with all the mods/tweaks in 'em. It will update the current 50cc line.

We are very particular about releasing an engine to our customers until it has the Aerovate quality aspect that we expect. The Aerovate engines are spec'd and built by the factory to specific standards that we have developed.

As to the appearance of the engines looking like the DA.... YUP......in fact they are DA cylinders. There are only 2 cylinder manufacturers in China, that make 'em for ALL 2 stroke engines (this includes lawnmowers, chainsaws, weedeaters etc etc etc). The factory picked the cylinder. The Aerovate 62cc.... it uses the same cylinder as the G62 engine.....

The Aerovate engines are not knockoffs, but do have similarities with other engines. The engineering INSIDE the engines is what makes and sets them apart. The performance aspects of the engines are mostly leaders and not followers.

The XYZ and Turnigy are one and the same. I have few comments on these engines.

The TBZ props are produced by the boys that used to run/own the XOAR props and left to pursue other opportunities. Great looking props. (Both of them!!!!) Both are GREAT performers too.

Cheers
Henry
Hi guys.
I came across this thread and showed some of the comments to my boss. Here is his reply:

Hello Henry

Sorry to cut in on a non-Desert Aircraft related thread, but I take issue with some of the statements you have made here and at the WRAM trade show.

''As to the appearance of the engines looking like the DA.... YUP......in fact they are DA cylinders''

This is not true. DA cylinders are designed by Desert Aircraft and are cast under exclusive contract in several different foundries located in California, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Taiwan. Any final machining is done here at our factory in Tucson. If it matters to anyone, we do not contract with any manufactures based in mainland/communist China. Not knocking those that do. We just don't.
We do not ''pick'' our cylinders off a cylinder manufacturer's shelf, nor are they available to be ''picked'' from any manufacturer's shelf. If anyone is procuring DA cylinders from a source other than Desert Aircraft, they are doing so illegally.

'There are only 2 cylinder manufacturers in China, that make 'em for ALL 2 stroke engines (this includes lawnmowers, chainsaws, weedeaters etc etc etc).''

As for only 2 manufacturers making two stroke cylinders in all of China? It seems I have been solicited by many more than that, weekly.

Dave Johnson
Desert Aircraft

This is an older post from another thread so things can chage. This does show that DA does do some of there own work, I just don't know how much. I do like to try and keep as much of my money in the US or at least countries I like.

Andy
Old 09-02-2012, 05:58 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just depends on money,if you have it,go for the da60,the support and parts will always be there and more hp than the 55.
if not, you can't beat a dle55 for the cost and how they run.as long as you can do the work on them your self,you can buy parts most any where.
also i have both two da's and two dle55's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.