Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Koverall & Dope Repairs

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Koverall & Dope Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 11:43 PM
Bison
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koverall & Dope Repairs

I covered my last plane ( Fliar Sopwith Pup) with Sig Koverall & dope. This has been a good finish but now I'm faced with doing a repair to the finish. I had to cut open a section behind the spar and between two ribs to repair an aileron bellcrank. I didn't cut it completely out but only on 3 sides pulling back the flap back to make the rapairs. I did the traditional finish using nitrate dope to fill the Koverall with butyrate color on top. What is the best way to repair the finish?
Old 04-22-2002, 01:23 AM
Tommy Meisel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koverall & Dope Repairs

Assuming you cut the fabric right alongside the ribs and the spar, then the easiest fix is to add some balsa to the edges of the ribs and spar so you will have some area to glue to cut out fabric flap back on to. Be careful, and try to get it as tight as possible. Sigment cement works pretty well to adhere the fabric flap.

When it is dry, use your heat gun to reshrink the fabric flap. Fill the gaps between the cut flap and the uncut fabric, spackle works OK. Then sand that carefully to smooth out the new seam. Now repaint as necessary. Sand between coats on the seams, and you can make them almost invisible.