Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Skate parks are fun...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Skate parks are fun...

even if you're not there to skate. But, apparently that environment is rough on RC cars; even a Savage. I was running for a good 20 minutes before this happened. The shock shaft sheared right at the rod end. As long as I'm replacing parts, I guess it's time to rebuild all the shocks and fill 'em up with fresh oil. I'm not sure what's in there now, but shouldn't 30wt be fine and not bottom out too much? I'm not jumping this thing 15 feet in the air, but it catches a good 3-5 feet at times. I was thinking of buying a new bottle of 35wt but 30 is the heaviest Ihave on hand.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58318.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1805917  
Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 PM
BKoz559

Default RE: Skate parks are fun...

Also, will a truggy body match up well enough for a Savage XL?  I think I may try one when this Nissan lid gets thrashed.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:06 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats impressive... its strange it dident bend the shaft, with any luck it was just a freak thing

what about upgrading the shafts to the tiN shafts?
Old 09-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why did hpi put plastic shock bodies on it? I don't know if a truggy shell will fit on it, maybe if you have a buddy with a truggy you can see or go to the lhs and see if they have one that fits. Bashing on concrete/asphalt is pretty hard on any car. I always try to do jumps on grass or sand, make a pretty big difference imo.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:11 AM
BKoz559

I wish it had aluminum bodies in stock form but, I guess that would have been too easy. I did a quick search for new shock shafts but didn't notice titanium nitride variants. I'll keep searching

I did figure that something was going to break eventually, just not this part. I thought a hub would snap at the camber link. I heard the chassis slap a few times but I believe Iwas still driving on the conservative side. Iwas tempted to try backflips but I also didn't want to completely destroy the truck. I'll look into tiN shafts; stock steel are about $15 for a set of 4.

Is a regular 2oz bottle enough to fill all the shocks?
Old 09-29-2012, 02:01 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

I wish it had aluminum bodies in stock form but, I guess that would have been too easy. I did a quick search for new shock shafts but didn't notice titanium nitride variants. I'll keep searching

I did figure that something was going to break eventually, just not this part. I thought a hub would snap at the camber link. I heard the chassis slap a few times but I believe I was still driving on the conservative side. I was tempted to try backflips but I also didn't want to completely destroy the truck. I'll look into tiN shafts; stock steel are about $15 for a set of 4.

Is a regular 2oz bottle enough to fill all the shocks?
Sure is mate
Old 09-29-2012, 04:47 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's all it took me. I still had half a bottle left acually. Seems like I shouldn't of had any left.[&:]
Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 PM
BKoz559

Today I needed a couple of hours to "escape" and RC seemed like the right thing to do.  The Flux is still on the bench for now so I opted to use my SC10RS.  It did a lot better out there than I anticipated.  The body wants to parachute a lot which caused some problems on a few occasions.  Mostly it would cause the truck to nose up and then land vertically on the rear bumper.  All in all it was a fun day and the local skaters were diggin' the RC action.  I cracked the rear bumper but everything else held up.

I'm going to have to bring a camera next time because I managed to successfully run the truck upside down inside of "the dome."  It's a half sphere at the end of a trench and if done correctly, you can do full loops.  It should make for good YouTube fodder.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

Today I needed a couple of hours to "escape" and RC seemed like the right thing to do. The Flux is still on the bench for now so I opted to use my SC10RS. It did a lot better out there than I anticipated. The body wants to parachute a lot which caused some problems on a few occasions. Mostly it would cause the truck to nose up and then land vertically on the rear bumper. All in all it was a fun day and the local skaters were diggin' the RC action. I cracked the rear bumper but everything else held up.

I'm going to have to bring a camera next time because I managed to successfully run the truck upside down inside of "the dome." It's a half sphere at the end of a trench and if done correctly, you can do full loops. It should make for good YouTube fodder.
Nice, The SC body probably copted most of the abuse. A video will be awesome .
<br type="_moz" />