Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Help with building new wheels (and other things) for RC car

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help with building new wheels (and other things) for RC car

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Necrod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with building new wheels (and other things) for RC car

I'm not sure if this is the right subforum. I checked multiple times and couldn't find a more adequate one.

So I bought this RC a few years back. It was pretty cheap and it's design is simple. It doesn't have steering, but it has two electromotors of wich left one powers left two wheels, and the one on the right controls the right two wheels.
Here's an image http://i50.tinypic.com/x1nbxy.jpg
The wheels are big and made so the car can also ride while flipped on the roof side, and that's pretty neat. However what Ihate about it and would like to change, are the wheels made of cheap plastic, one of them actually broke after running it over multiple stairs..

I don't know where to start, and out of which material can Imake new wheels for this RC car, so it's more durable? I was also considering adding suspension inside each wheel but don't know how good of an idea is that actually.

There were also few other things to mention but I'm really in a hurry currently.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Help with building new wheels (and other things) for RC car

could maybe modify some wheels off of a Barbecue Grill to work.
once made essentially what was a 150-200lb RC(it was computer controlled to a degree, and required input from a person) for a project many years back that used some that I picked up cheap. So they should be able to take a bit of abuse

its hard to say for certain though without knowing how the wheels are hooked up to the hubs if its even possible. Plain old RC rims possibly could be modded even.

As for a suspension honestly I doubt you can it would require a ton of work as I can see it, and probably would be easier to just build a RC from scratch than modify that
Old 10-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Necrod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with building new wheels (and other things) for RC car

The way wheels are hooked seems to be going in my favor as well.
http://i48.tinypic.com/34h9nuw.jpg

This is the gear wheel is hooked on http://i48.tinypic.com/2a9d6bk.jpg
And that's what broke last time. I still can't get fourth wheel unhooked because when this plastic gear broke last time I used super glue..

Making a brand new RC is still an option as well, I have all I need in this one though.. And I'm planning on making it iPhone controlled