Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Can you fix a bent crank in a DLE111?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Can you fix a bent crank in a DLE111?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Jagthack
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you fix a bent crank in a DLE111?

Hey Guys I have a DLE 111 that has a slight bend in the crank. As I turn to engine over the prop hub moves in and out about 2mm. Is this something that can be fixed or do I have to buy a new crank?
Thanks!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Can you fix a bent crank in a DLE111?

Do you mean the crankshaft is moving back and forth 2mm or going up and down 2 MM? Either way it should be able to be fixed, but a person needs to know what there trying to fix first.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:51 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's moving "in&out" (forwards & backwards) then it may not be  a bent crank but excessive end play(bad bearing, worn case). Does it move in & out if you pull or push on the prop/crank ?  A bent crank typically shows movement "up and down" (runout) while rotating. A bent crank can be fixed but it takes some time and practice to get it right.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:20 AM
Jagthack
My Feedback: (11)

Sorry, it moves up and down. If you pick a spot on the block and watch it as you turn the engine over you can see the gap in that one spot get slightly biger then smaller as it rotates.
Who fixes this kind of thing?
Thank you!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:07 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

PM sent.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a moderator on this board (Dave?) who used to straighten crankshafts for glow engines. Not sure if he still does it or would do a larger gas engine.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well yes you can usually straighten a crankshaft out.  Usually the method involves using some V-blocks on a press. You first note the high point on the crank. You then clamp the crank down in the V-blocks then use the press to push down on the high spot some, Then retest and repeat as needed.  I do remember some guys using a big brass hammer to straighten a crank end  too. I remember some mnechanics doing this with big Harley engine cranks befgore.  But that requires something to protect the threads on the end and more care of course. With a twin engine, you have a extra long crank that you have to be careful with so that you don't bend it in the middle someplace.

Now then some cranks may be hardened quite a bit and when you go to give it a tweak the end breaks off. Or the threaded part snaps off. But if you have a new crank on order it isn't a tramatic event. So if you can manually straighten out your bent crank it is a big plus and a good feeling you did something good too. So it doesn't really  hurt anything to try to straighten it out.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:57 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

anyone ever see these cranks slip?