Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE Hard start

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Checklst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE Hard start

Hey guys having lots of trouble starting a (new)DLE30 she will fire on choke and fire choke off..........acts the same hand crank or starter. She will run on starter but dies as soon as I release the starter. She takes 5 or ten min to start ,working my arm off...... when she does start I have set peak high needle and backed off a couple of hundred RPM just a hair on the rich side, then I set low to get a great transition off idle. Then 30 seconds later she will stop all of a sudden. The re-fire is same as the first she will only fire on choke and takes 5 min or so on the starter to get running....this bad boy is wearing me out.

Plug is a NKG CM6 needles at first start were 1 1/2 turn open low needle and 2 turns high needle....Factory set.....I did check them. I have only been able to run one tank of fuel through her. I check screen in carb (clear) Reed valves are seated down proper, plug Gap is at 20 thousand........ Now I just check the timming and she is at 35 degrees before TDC........seems a little high to me!!!........could the timming be causing my hard starting and abrupt shutdowns at high idle.?
Should the timming be 35 or 28?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: DLE Hard start

Set it at 28, 35 is too advanced.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:30 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They come with the timing set very high. Any more than that, they would be popping.

Why not reduce the timing and see what happens?

Sounds like your reed valve is intermittant?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Checklst

Thanks guys I did a careful tear down and hear is what I have found. Timing was at 35 deg, Spark plug was at 15 thousand(I found this first) and corrected to 20 thousand...........reed block has 2 holes and one of the holes was 3/4 blocked by gasket (removed extra gasket with hobby knife)hole now is completely open to reed block hole. Nothing like having 3 things off to make your day. I am responable for the plug ,the other 2 came from the factory.

Will run tomorrow and report back..........lets just say I will be checking the timing on the new DLE 50, as she is almost read for her first start.

Thanks again guys
Old 12-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Checklst

Today she started right up(just a few flips by hand) timing at 28 deg..............took only about a min to set the needles, she is a whole different engine...... timed properly.

Thanks guys for all the help.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:51 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We are happy if you are happy