Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

A new rc truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 PM
dan rox 90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new rc truck

hi, im looking for a new rc car and i was thinking of getting a rc truck. i want to spend around $300 to$350. im going to sell my team associated b4.1 because iv'e noticed that it isn't very good for bashing and jumps, it just good for racing but i dont really race cars much. So i was wondering watrc trucki could get. i want the truck to be 1/10th scale and i want it to go over big jumps and stuff with out it braking so i want it to be durable and pretty fast, i want to run the car on brushless 2s or 3s lipo batterys. i also prefer the car to beRTR.
thanksand please reply if you read this thread
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: A new rc truck

Have you seen something that interests you yet? Do you have a brand preference? You can get a pretty nice vehicle for that price; especially if you keep the battery and charger from the B4.1. Some of the first brands that come to mind are HPI and Traxxas. I think the 2WD Stampede is a fair vehicle as I own one for the same reasons that you are considering. Anything will break if you drive it hard enough, the question is; how easy is it to find parts and are they reasonably priced. I like that the Stampede and Slash have raised chassis' which makes them more versatile bashers which may be beneficial in your case.

I also owned a HPIWheely King for a little while which was an interesting vehicle. It was 4WD, featured solid axles and looked pretty much like a scale monster truck. It jumped OK but wasn't terribly fast, but fast enough for a fun truck. It was entertaining to watch the suspension articulate when driving through rough terrain. I think they're a little over $200 for an RTR; it's worth considering.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 AM
dan rox 90

i was looking at the savage xs flux 1/10 but i just looked breifly into truck. i want it to be 4 wheel drive preferably. i like the brand Hpi , savage or revo.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 AM
dan rox 90

im deciding between the Traxxas stampedeVXL 4x4 Brushless RC or he savage xs 4x4 
Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 AM
ejc34710

Never thought i'd see the day when i would recommend a Traxxas over an HPI, but today is the day. I have a Flux XS and used to have a Stampede. Maybe i just got a bad one, but my Flux XS is a POS. Maybe have 20 packs ran through it (only 2s) and have had MULTIPLE things go wrong with it. I spend more time working on it than playing with it. Just off the top of my head: Stripped shock end, ALL the drive cups need replaced already, blew up 2 bearings in the rear ring gear, the tires are not that great, disinigrated slipper pads, broken rear upright. Theres more too, lol. IMO the screws seem soft too. HPI is my favorite company, but i hate this truck....
Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 AM
ejc34710

Ok, re-reading i didnt have the 4wd stampede, i had the 2wd.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Between the Stampeded 4x4 and the Savage XS, the Stampede is a full 1/10 sized vehicle and shares parts with the 4x4 Slash.  Parts are more commonly available.  I've only seen a XS on the shelf and I thought it looked like a decent truck; it's just smaller than what I'm used to.  The Stampede is more costly; I believe just a click over $400.  You may consider "ejc34710's" advice since he's owned one.

I've worked with many Traxxas vehicle at the hobby shop I help at and have seen a lot of the inner workings of them.  Most member's here will say that the Stampede 4x4 is probably a good choice for what you want to do.  The larger size and tires will help with grass and dirt. The electronics can handle 3S LiPo power but, for off-roading 2S is ample power.  Parts wear out faster with 3S and it's really only good for speed runs in the street or a flat area like a baseball diamond.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

pede 4X4 isn't a bad truck I've modded mine to be more of a truggy with a center diff(really makes it handle differently)
only real issues I've had were slider wear(the upgrades are not cheap), and swapping spur gears as I found it a royal PITA to remove the spur from the vehicle.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:53 PM
dan rox 90

im still leaning to the savage xs because the stampede is basically a truggy and i've already got a truggy. is there anymore cars suited for my situaion. thanks for your help.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:59 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: dan rox 90

im still leaning to the savage xs because the stampede is basically a truggy and i've already got a truggy. is there anymore cars suited for my situaion. thanks for your help.
the stampede is a MT, not a truggy.
What truggy do you have?
Id take a stampede 4x4 over the savage XS. Its too small. That much power is a smaller truck (in my mind) means it wont handle well.
And the XS just doesnt look as tough as the full sized savage flux.
The stampede 4x4 can stand to have the driveshafts upgraded. Other than that, its pretty tough. And when parts do break, you just slap on RPM upgrades and you will have a hard time breaking that part again.
Its a fun truck. As syco mentioned, different tires and such can change the look and handling alot.
I regret selling mine[&o]
Old 12-18-2012, 04:10 PM
dan rox 90

how fast is the stampede on 2s and 3s lipo, and will the motor or esc burn out if i use the 3s on the stampede .because i knoww that the savage's motor and esc can burn out on a 3 cell lipo. which car would be better for jumps and speed and duability.
thanks heaps  
Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

how fast is the stampede on 2s and 3s lipo, and will the motor or esc burn out if i use the 3s on the stampede .because i knoww that the savage's motor and esc can burn out on a 3 cell lipo. which car would be better for jumps and speed and duability.
thanks heaps
35-45mph on 2s...with wicked acceleration.
Not sure what it would top out on 3s. With the big MT tires it gets really hard to control at full throttle on 3s (tires ballon)
Its safe to say tho, that the stampede 4x4 on 3s will satisfy most any speed junky. 40mph on 2s offroad is a wild ride.
If you want to run 3s, the fan traxxas makes for the ESC and a basic heat sink for the motor are a good idea.

I havent owned the savage xs, so I cant say really how good it is/isnt. But based on how my stampede 4x4 was, I would buy one again instead of taking a gamble with the smaller savage (if I had the money, LOL)
Old 12-18-2012, 04:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

the stampede is a MT, not a truggy.
What truggy do you have?
Id take a stampede 4x4 over the savage XS. Its too small. That much power is a smaller truck (in my mind) means it wont handle well.
And the XS just doesnt look as tough as the full sized savage flux.
The stampede 4x4 can stand to have the driveshafts upgraded. Other than that, its pretty tough. And when parts do break, you just slap on RPM upgrades and you will have a hard time breaking that part again.
Its a fun truck. As syco mentioned, different tires and such can change the look and handling alot.
I regret selling mine[&o]
yup
on ultimate RC they modded the pede 4X4 into so many things it isn't really funny. It's been a 1/0th scale buggy, truggy, 4wd rustler, trail truck etc....
Mine I have on it the tires off a bullet flux MT(I got the tired for $5-10 for 4 new ones a while back with rims ) with a body that I used on a HPI MT1
As for handling like a truggy not really. I have a 1/8th scale, and 1/12th scale truggy and honestly it is semi similar in handling now that I added the center differential, but still its COG is a lot higher so its still a lil tippy like a MT. I mainly added the center diff as I'm not a fan of wheelies and it cuts that down drastically.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM
dan rox 90

ok ill brake my words down. apparentlly my brother says hpi is a better brand than traxxasand the hpi will be more duarble. because what im going to be doing with this car is just going over big jumps and maybe a couple speed runs ect. so by the information im getting from researching there saying that the savage will be better for me because is is more suited for jumps. what is the savage ment for and wat is the sampede ment for?
thanks sorry for all the questions i just want to get this buy right.
oh yeh by the way can anyone recommend any other trucks suited for me. and don't forget i only want to spen $300 to $350
thanks[&amp;:]</p>
Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ok ill brake my words down. apparentlly my brother says hpi is a better brand than traxxasand the hpi will be more duarble. because what im going to be doing with this car is just going over big jumps and maybe a couple speed runs ect. so by the information im getting from researching there saying that the savage will be better for me because is is more suited for jumps. what is the savage ment for and wat is the sampede ment for?
thanks sorry for all the questions i just want to get this buy right.
oh yeh by the way can anyone recommend any other trucks suited for me. and don't forget i only want to spen $300 to $350
thanks[&:]</p>
well on HPI SOME of their models are tough. Some are complete piles of festering crap that should never have seen the light of day.
Originally I was one of those HPI could do no harm people until I bought one of their lemons(and got another later on). They are currently selling at least 3-4 poorly made models that are made out of questionable material as they fail FAST.

I don't have any experience with a savage flux xs, and have read people had issues with em. Now if it was the full sized savage I'd say yes fast.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 PM
dan rox 90

so your saying the the pede is more duarble than the savage flux xs. is there any other trucks to choose from??????????????????
thanks again</p>
Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

so your saying the the pede is more duarble than the savage flux xs. is there any other trucks to choose from??????????????????
thanks again</p>
yes and no its just what I heard. I've heard some people had issues with ESC's, some with the drive chain but that is just what I heard I have no 1st hand exp with it.

and unfortunately in your price range its pretty limited in vehicles that do what you want(and will survive 5-10 mins)
Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 PM
dan rox 90

ok then what about any proce range and dont say the e revo because thats not wat im looking for. i think some people just dont know how to drive the savage thats why they come out saying its ****. and also with the smoked esc's they only smoke you don't monerter them and you use a 3s lipo battery.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 PM
dan rox 90

will the savage flux xs be faster and more duarable then the ofna hyper tt (the ofna has a castle creations motor and esc 4400 kv 2 lipo) thanks
Old 12-18-2012, 11:52 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ejc34710

Never thought i'd see the day when i would recommend a Traxxas over an HPI, but today is the day. I have a Flux XS and used to have a Stampede. Maybe i just got a bad one, but my Flux XS is a POS. Maybe have 20 packs ran through it (only 2s) and have had MULTIPLE things go wrong with it. I spend more time working on it than playing with it. Just off the top of my head: Stripped shock end, ALL the drive cups need replaced already, blew up 2 bearings in the rear ring gear, the tires are not that great, disinigrated slipper pads, broken rear upright. Theres more too, lol. IMO the screws seem soft too. HPI is my favorite company, but i hate this truck....
im with Ejc34710 i had a Savage XS and i spent more time fixing it then driving it. but theres alot of people who have good good luck with there XS but im not one and sold it. got a ofna electric crt .5 to replace it and happy i did to bad there discontinued now. i was eyeing the stampede 4x4 before i had got the XS but i wanted to save money as i need lipos, chargers and so on. in hindsight i should of went with the pede 4x4 over the XS. tho ive never seen or owned a stampede from what i gather with a few select upgrades like drive shafts and a few others its a very strong rc. truth be told ive been thinking of getting a stampede come summer time just because you can turn them into realy any rc. look up jang from URC on youtube

have you looked at http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...hoad2804m.htmlits a good rc from what ive read
Old 12-19-2012, 01:22 AM
dan rox 90

is that ofna crt.5 electic and if so how fast dose is go and are you happy with is. and also is it a truck
Old 12-19-2012, 01:28 AM
dan rox 90

i think im still sticking to savage xs. i just won't run it on 3s ill run it on 2s 40c lipo instead and i think from my reaseach ill love it for its price you can't go wrong</p>
Old 12-19-2012, 01:29 AM
dan rox 90

it looks pritty solid and very duarable. so im going to get the savage xs unless someone comes up with any other suggestions
Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

is that ofna crt.5 electic and if so how fast dose is go and are you happy with is. and also is it a truck
no it was nitro but a pretty simple and cheap conversion (kit was $75, and the conversion parts were like $35 more from ofna themselves) pretty much with a radio, and electronics it came out to under $250 in the end too bad OFNA stopped selling them a few months back
the crt .5 was a truggy, but a lot of ppl slapped mt tires on it. I moded my one into an 1/8th scale buggy using the SCRT chassis
kinda wish I bought a 3rd b4 they were discontinued

as for the electronics on the savage I know they were an issue on the 1st batch the ESC's would go up in smoke fast on 2s even. Guessing it was some QC issue with castle
Old 12-19-2012, 02:40 PM
trousertrout

id get a used truck off here theres alot of used brushless trucks on here with extras for that price!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.