Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Tire changing

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire changing

This is probably a very basic question for those of you who know the answer but I am a total newbie in cars and trucks. The question concerns replacing a set of tires on a stadium truck. I understand these things are glued on with CA. How can the existing tires be removed if they are glued with CA. That stuff is tough.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:45 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tire changing

One method is to soak the wheel / tire in Acetone...
I've used a small butter tub w/ snap on lid...put a half inch or so of Acetone and wheel in and snap on the lid...let it soak for an hour or two...the soaked side will come off the rim....then flip over and do the other side. It takes a while...but the rims will be re-useable afterward. (after cleaning glue residue off )

Some guys say to boil them in water...but that method never worked for me.

After doing the above several times, it's MUCH easier to just buy new rims...(less grumbling, %^#@*!etc. etc. )
Old 12-19-2012, 01:51 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have boiled them with success before, its just a little dangerous, risk of burns when messing with boiling water. Boiling will usually cause any special finish to come off also like the fake chrome coloring that's on some Traxxas wheels, not sure what acetone would do to the finish. It took about 10 minutes soaking at full boil for them to come loose, the only downside is if you are trying to save the rims your good, in my case I was trying to save the tire and replace a broken rim and the tire still had all the crusty hard glue on it when this boiling procedure was done and so it was really a pain to get them glued onto new rims. I am betting the acetone removes the glue so that might have been a better option in my situation.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:24 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing works that great, ive had some success with boiling, but I burnt all my finger tips lol
That method wont work with traxxas revo wheels

Acetone is great for removing chrome of the rims, just soak over night and it basicky falls off.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: proptop

One method is to soak the wheel / tire in Acetone...
I've used a small butter tub w/ snap on lid...put a half inch or so of Acetone and wheel in and snap on the lid...let it soak for an hour or two...the soaked side will come off the rim....then flip over and do the other side. It takes a while...but the rims will be re-useable afterward. (after cleaning glue residue off )

Some guys say to boil them in water...but that method never worked for me.

After doing the above several times, it's MUCH easier to just buy new rims...(less grumbling, %^#@*!etc. etc. )
ditto
cut tire rip off dremel the left over off the rim to smooth it if I want to save the rim
I've also cut the rim off of a tire before (the rim stripped but the was still essentially new) that took a lot more finesse
boiling I had 50/50 results 2 tires came off pretty easy other 2 ripped
tried it once after nothing came off which leads me o believe the 2 that came off were glued poorly(I got them with a used truck)

Other thing I've done was run a screw driver along the rim to break the glue. this works decently on some crome RTR rims as some companies are too lazy to strip the chrome off prior to gluing and the chrome peels off nice and easy(which you have to pretty much to anyways)
Old 12-19-2012, 04:28 PM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done it both ways (boiling/acetone) many times with no issues. only thing is, boiling is a lot cheaper
just make sure you have a good pair of gloves... it gets HOT., it will save your fingers and make the whole process a lot easier.

If you go with the acetone., test a small area first, some traxxas and tamiya wheels wont be happy
Old 12-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

I just changed the tires on Stampede 4x4 by boiling them. I boiled them for 10 minutes then pulled them out with tongs, put them in the sink and chiseled at them with a butter knife. It worked fairly well and I didn't lose any of the chrome.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:56 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Ive done it a few times just by boiling them and it worked fine, easy to burn your fingers though.