Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Issue with D8T build

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issue with D8T build

For you D8T owners, I've run into an issue with the build.

It revolves around the fact that the rear pivot plates are not the sameLENGTH (parts 67379 and 67380). Consequently, I have to slightly bend the rear suspension shafts(parts 67417)that go through the a-arms so they would align in the pivot plate holes on the other side of the diff.. Thus when you view it from above, the a-arms go at a slight angle (about 1/2 inch). I followed the directions (D10) to the TEE. I spent 2.5 hours on that one "step" alone, as it just not seem right. Due to the forced fit, the a-arms can easily pop out.

At first I thought it was an issue with the part, but even when you look at the picture of the part on the parts page, the illustration shows they are not the same length.

Thus I don't understand the design of threading a straight object into holes that are not perpendicular. The ones on the front fit perfectly.

Any and all help is appreciated. I can send pictures if that helps!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:51 PM
JohnP2

Default RE: Issue with D8T build

I just saw this pic of someone's D8T build, and guess the rear arms are supposed to be angled. I will firm everything up again, as noted the a-arms can pop out..unless there is some extra reinforcement coming in an additional step(s).

Things I'm learning from my first build:

1. There are times I wish I had an electric screw-driver. Ha! I still prefer the hand method, but you guys weren't kidding when you said your hands go weak with all that damn screwing!

2. I need a set of digital calipers. I imagine once Iget it all built, there will be a lot of tweaking of the linkage, suspension, etc.

3. Even if you THINK you know the step, read the instructions...twice. There are a slew of subtleties that can be missed.

4. I can't believe they make parts as small as they do. I had a set-screw the size of a piece of dust fly across the garage on me,but was luckyenough to eyeit through theair and see exactly where it landed.

5. Once it becomes a "chore", I stop.

6.I have put about 20 hours into it, and about 60% complete. I'm suresubsequent builds will go faster, but I like to stop and understand why the thingsare working like they are.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:37 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

although i dont have any experience with the D8T it is normal most all cars have "toe in"
Old 12-23-2012, 05:47 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for example my HPI firestorm and my Team Associated rc18mt</p>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94162.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1833213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33584.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1833214  
Old 12-24-2012, 06:59 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

For you D8T owners, I've run into an issue with the build.

It revolves around the fact that the rear pivot plates are not the same LENGTH (parts 67379 and 67380). Consequently, I have to slightly bend the rear suspension shafts (parts 67417) that go through the a-arms so they would align in the pivot plate holes on the other side of the diff.. Thus when you view it from above, the a-arms go at a slight angle (about 1/2 inch). I followed the directions (D10) to the TEE. I spent 2.5 hours on that one ''step'' alone, as it just not seem right. Due to the forced fit, the a-arms can easily pop out.

At first I thought it was an issue with the part, but even when you look at the picture of the part on the parts page, the illustration shows they are not the same length.

Thus I don't understand the design of threading a straight object into holes that are not perpendicular. The ones on the front fit perfectly.

Any and all help is appreciated. I can send pictures if that helps!

please do not bend your hinge pins...you are definitely missing something....
Old 12-24-2012, 10:46 AM
nitroexpress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check that hinge pins areflush with the outside ofparts 67379 and 67380 (Z700 backed out or not installed). Only after installation should Z700 be used to secure the hinge pins from rotating. Do not let Z700 restrict the full insertion of the hinge pins into the hinge pin blocks.