Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Latrax: Does anyone collects them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 AM
harvard19x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latrax: Does anyone collects them?

I want to know if they have every played with a Latrax R/C car back in the early 1980's. In addition, does anyone remember the different models that they produced? The Latrax brand doesn't seem to have a history, except that it was founded by Jim Jenkins who sold the company in 1980 after 2 years in being in business. I must admit that they are strange cars. Does anyone have them in their collection? So far, I have 8 of them. I have three Mustang Cobra's: Red, Black, and Grey Stripe versions. On the Pan car side, I got the Hustler Buggy, Corvette, and the Trans am. And the last two are the toy version of the Latrax Boat and the Lancia Stratos. It's ironic that the Lancia Stratos was my first Latrax toy that I got as a collector. But the Mustangs were the though to find in NIB condition. But there are the centerpiece of my collection.

Latrax was founded by Jim Jenkins in 1977. The first R/C toy was the Alpha, followed by the Lancia Stratos, Mustang Cobra, 77 Camaro, and the 1979 Firebird. On the Hobby side, the first Latrax Hobby R/C was the Corvette, followed by the 1979 Firebird, Porsche 917, and the Hustler Buggy. I believe that there was a Latrax Cigarette Racing Boats, one that was a toy model and a second one as a Hobby model. As far as I know, those where the only Latrax models available, along with the parts accessories.

What makes this story so ironic was the fact that Mr. Jenkins sold Latrax to Brinkmann in 1980. And a few years later, around 1982, Brinkmann closed down the company because it was not part of their core operations.

With that said, Mr. Jenkins went on to co-found Traxxas in 1986, which was about 9 years after he establish Latrax. Today, his son, Mike Jenkins is sole owner of Traxxas, a company that was built on top of the Latrax brand.

It would be great if someone would write a bio on the origins of Latrax and the people behind it and how it led to the creation of Traxxas.

<span class="info"> </span>
Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Latrax: Does anyone collects them?

Wow that's interesting, got any pics?
Old 04-20-2016, 08:28 PM
bigred1957

Just picked up a Latrax Hustler, very cool little buggy! Think I might be bidding the receiver however. Everything else appears to be there and also have the original radio. Looking to restore this little beast but need to find pat resources. At least the receiver until I noticed more. Also need to figure out how to charge the interesting battery pack. More than likely I'll have to build a new one but keeping it factory.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:29 PM
bigred1957

Missing not bidding