Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Fuel!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 01:32 PM
Dieselhammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel!!

I have just bought a new Rex X and have just finished the run in period. Please can someone explain to me the differences in the fuels that seem to be available.[sm=confused.gif]

Model Technics seem to make about 20 different types of fuel, some different colours, different %'s of whatever.[sm=drowning.gif]

I have seen 10 - 25% Nitro and am not sure which is the best for me to use in my buggy. What are the pros and cons of less or more Nitro.

Thank you.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:41 PM
studysession

Default RE: Fuel!!

I do not know what a Rex X is. I have a 1/8 scale OFNA Hyper 7 PBS. It has the Hyper 8 port in it. I run 26% Nitro in it. When I was back in the US I used to run 20%.

I prefer the higher % of nitro. Everyon e that races here they run the 26%. The higher the % of nitro, will shorten the life of your motor.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:06 PM
ZipZap

There are literally thousands of posts on this topic, and nearly the same number of opinions.

This post is not intended to produce yet another fuel feud!

Theoretically, more nitro percentage should produce more power. But the "optimum" percentage is dependent on the motor itself. On a run-of-the-mill motor, 20% seems to be a good balance between $ and performance. If you're running a race motor, it's likely that 30% will give you a performance increase. It will also produce more mechanical stress on the motor, but chemistry says that it should actually burn cooler.

Oil percentage is another consideration. I personally run a higher oil percentage to break in a motor, then switch to less oil content when break-in is finished. Oil types can also produce vehement argument among enthusiasts......

Some folks will say that you should stick with the same fuel throughout the life of the motor. I've seen no hard facts to support this position.

Color is meaningless; heck, they even have scents now!

Bottom line:

Buy a name brand fuel made for the way you want to use the vehicle. Why spend $ on 30% nitro to run in your driveway, or chew up the grass in the backyard?

Oh great! Now I've restarted the great "should I run my RC on grass" debate!
Old 09-16-2003, 11:34 AM
studysession

Today - I did not want to drive as far so I bought 25% from a closer place.

What is wrong from running on the grass?
Old 09-16-2003, 10:16 PM
Aterlatus

It's supposed to put undue stress on your engine for any of a multitude of reasons (not going as fast so your engine doesn't get adequate cooling/more energy needed to flatten the grass as you go/you slide on the grass so your wheels spin faster and run the motor harder).

Meh, I don't give one. Only realistic problem I can see is that it'll make more mess

Hell, if it gets too hot I'll richen the mix a touch. No skin off my nose.

I've also heard from several sources (my engine manufacturer being one of them!) that you should run the same nitro content (or fuel!) through the life of the engine. Likewise, I can't see any particular reason for this, except that if you switch nitro contents you might have to change glow plugs / needle settings.

Meh, if you're just "backyard bashing" as they call it, who cares? If the car runs it's already running fast enough to break into a million pieces when you crash

BTW, on that note, watch out for wheels on 1:1 cars - they hurt
Old 09-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Aterlatus

Ohhhhhhhh, and a Mancuinian too, eh?

Whereabouts in the ol' Mankyland are ye (no offence intended) - a short trip down the 56 and you're not far off me. Wanna race? :P

I wonder if I could mod this Savage SS to the point where I can race cars on the motorway.... [&:]
Old 09-18-2003, 01:14 PM
Dieselhammer

Stockport.

about 3 miles from the Airport Exit on the 56.[sm=punching.gif]
Old 09-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Aterlatus

Yeps, I know bits of Stockport.

One of our clients is down in Marple/Maple (whichever it is - meh).

*looks at the smiley*

Dya wanna fookin goh den?

Sorry, bad attempt at putting scouse into written "words"