Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

How are those phoenix models????????

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

How are those phoenix models????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:13 PM
drunkenflyer72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are those phoenix models????????

i was looking through tower hobbies today and i came apon these phoenix models planes. there look real nice and are very affordable but there must be a catch. A 40 size giles for 105.00$ sounds to good. they look like great planes but i want to know if they are built good. can they handle 3d manuvers.
has anyone had any problems with them like bad coating or tears or wings breaking in air any thing?
thanx for any feed back
Old 09-15-2003, 10:44 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How are those phoenix models????????

I got the Sukhoi SU-31 from Tower recently and I am VERY pleased with it. The quality of construction was excellent. I think that earlier on, before Tower carried them, there were quite a few quality issues.....It seems that things were re-tooled. A guy at my field said he had a Phoenix a few years back, and the build quality was nothing like my Sukhoi....covering was different too. The covering job on mine is beautiful. I believe it's Ultracote......but I do know it's definitely a quality heat-shrink covering. I have 9 flights on the plane so far and I'm very pleased. I read a few posts that a .46 wasn't enough for the plane, but mine came out at about 5 1/3 pounds, and the TT Pro .46 I put in it flies it just fine......not enough for hardcore 3D manuevering, but plenty for scale aerobatics and the occasional hovering.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:06 PM
drunkenflyer72

anyone esle have anything
Old 09-19-2003, 12:45 AM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

I just finished building the Phoenix Models Funstar 3D plane. Tower Hobbies $109. I should have done a construction review on it because I cannot believe the value! I've been doing this for a long time and built dozens of ARF's but none have been this complete for this money. I would say the over all quality of build and materials approach that of World Models or Modeltech. Just because this comes from Vietnam don't discount it as a VMAR POS. Here's a fair and balanced list of what you get:

Packaging - Good to Excellency
Covering - Oracover. great workmanship, a few wrinkles.
Wing - One piece, ailerons hinged and pinned, bolt on (2 bolts, 2 dowels), drilled and plastic inserts inst.
Empenage - Hinged, pinned, strong, epoxy in vert and horiz (that's about the most construction you have to do). Aligned near perfect.
Firewall - Gusseted, fuel proofed, mount (heavy) installed 45 degrees, muffler relief on bottom.
Cowl (Not pictured in Tower add?) - Gorgeous fiberglass, painted to match red trim. Snug fit, no clear plastic template.
Gear - One piece wire screwed to bottom ply plate. Seems week.
Wheels / hardware - Superlight hard foam (cheap). Nice big 3D control horns, pitch the rest.
Other - Servo tray installed, new version has servo cut outs in rear. Balanced slightly tail heavy with Tower .46 and Macs Muff. Throw away the instructions. Fues looks very weak along wing saddle. Pilot and canopy installed. 4.5 pounds. Graphics are corny, didn't use. Tail wheel , tiller type, pre-bent. Looks great with cowl, kind of Diablotinish but better.

Haven't had time to fly it yet. But experience says it will be a nice neutral 3D plane. Search RCU for Funstar in the 3D section. I'll post more pics later

Eric
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63140.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	62215  
Old 09-19-2003, 10:59 PM
Iddons

I have just ordered my Phoenix Su31.
Not sure if I will go a 46 2 stroke or 70 4 stroke.....
Old 09-19-2003, 11:38 PM
otisflies

Just picked up the 120 size Sukhoi and a Moki 1.35. Will post photos and construction details soon. The quality looks great at this point.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:09 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: Terry Wallace

Just picked up the 120 size Sukhoi and a Moki 1.35. Will post photos and construction details soon. The quality looks great at this point.
Phoenix Models has a 120 size Sukhoi? Where?
Old 09-20-2003, 07:56 PM
inter

Someone posted a pic of the phoenix Sukhoi 120 before the site revamp.

Can't seem to find it now.......

BTW, I had the little phoenix Suk and liked it alot, however I got an offer to sell it that I couldn't refuse.

Plz terry, post anything and everything u canAlso, are u using a pitts muffler or gonna go with the stock jobbie and cut the cowl?
Old 10-11-2003, 11:07 PM
edh13

Well here are some Funstar pics prior to the first flight. I've only had a couple flights on it. Not much time to wring it out. Flys straight and true. Will not snap out of inside or outside loops matter how tight. Engine still new and under propped, on 5% it will hover at 3/4 throttle. Once I get it on 15% with a funfly prop and get all my mixes done I think it still will be the best $109 I've spent. Post flight reveled most every hinge pin backing out (no glue). And 2 aileron hinges pulling. Also wing dowels a little under size allowing some movement at the leading edge. All easy fixes and are pretty standard ARF faults. Don't be scared by the Vietnam origin. This is not a VMAR! Can't be beat for the price!

Name:	Wu61363.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	67055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40722.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	67056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61101.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	67057  
Old 10-12-2003, 10:25 AM
csisfun

I think the reason why the plane's so cheap is because its from Viet Nam.
You know what? Everyone at my field HAS flewn a phoenix before. You should try the Phoenix Scanner (if you can get it any where), its gotta be the best low wing trainer. Nice. I'm flying that.
Since you got the Funstar, its best you don't put a big propeller. It has low clearance. My friend's prop always hits the prop after a landing (he stuffs a Saito 72, what more can i say?)
I had a Phoenix high wing trainer, and now i have the Scanner. Good plane.

These planes are pretty hardy too. However the landing gears are all very weak and will bend easily.

I doubt you will be disappointed. They are good planes & real cheap.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:41 PM
FATBOY
My Feedback: (5)

Drunkinflyer, theres plenty of threads on the planes quality & plenty of flight reports. Its truly a nice piece of craftmanship for the price & size.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Pjtg0707

Can some of you guys post some pics of your engine mounting and your cowl?

I am trying to figure out the best way to mount a 46 size engine and type of muffler to use without cutting too much off the fiberglass cowl.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:37 AM
rkingmanila
My Feedback: (1)

csisfun: would you know where in singapore or in hong kong can Phoneix ARFs be purchased uor better yet in Vietnam cuz i would like to bring in a few to the Philippines to sample and distribute.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Fire Bolt

I have the 'Comet' - an advanced sport model from Phoenix. I have flown it for 2 years.
Pros & cons:

Nice airframe, looks like a F3A. Very stable in flight and goes where you want it to.
VERY easy to land. Excellent gliding ability- no fear with dead stick landings.
Pilot is included, cowl is fiberglass and painted.

The fuselage is not made out of balsa. Covering is some sort of a sticker which gets a bit loosen when exposed to the sun and also folds off after some time. There are no tubes inside the wing to pass through the aileron servo's wires-very frustrating. No access to fuel tank.

Old 10-13-2003, 11:02 PM
edh13

Pjtg0707,
Here's some pics of eng and cowl. The engine mount is already mounted at a 45 degree angle for you. And there is a muffler relief cut out in the bottom of the fues. Although it wasn't quite big enough for the oversize Tower Hobbies .46 muffler. Had a Macs Pipe for it anyway, it works out great. There is not much left of the right side of the cowl after trimming around that 45 degree engine. Looks nice though. I didn't trim any off of the rear of the cowl. I left it long.

Name:	Eb86974.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	67571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25605.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	67572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40639.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	67573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38303.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	67574  
Old 04-01-2004, 03:52 PM
squirt

Hello guys, I'm currently assembling a Funstar, just wondering if anybody has any video clips of it flying??? if so let me know... thanks
Old 04-01-2004, 09:40 PM
FATBOY

I know I might ruffle a few feathers w/ this statement, but the Sukhoi, in my opinion, is possibly the best 40 size arf on the market and I'm not being bias either. I've owned, flown and looked over a lot of planes in it's class and I'd have to say, for the money, no other 40 size arf can touch it...thats my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:42 AM
ScaleRules

ORIGINAL: otisflies

otisflies,

I see you are a fellow Cannuck!

One question about the 120 size Su31... is it a one or two piece wing?

You guys are not gonna believe this but I just picked up one of the 40 size Su31s for CDN$132.00 total all taxes in, this past weekend! I was looking at the 120 size but decided on the 40 size. Now I have someone who wants the 40 size so i am reconsidering the 120 again. Just wanted to know about the wing.

Oh by the way I can pickup the 120 size for only CDN$ 238.00 .

For anyone who is interested these great prices are available from:

Bisson Custom Mufflers
http://www.bissonmufflers.com
Parry Sound, Ontario
Phone: 705-389-1156
email: [email protected]
Description:
Manufacturing some of the best model airplane mufflers for almost 35 years.

I don't think they have any of the 40 size Sukhoi but they have the 120 size as well as the 40 size Extra 300S and the Cap 231 I believe. All of the 40 size kits were CDN$ 132 at a swap meet last weekend but the prices may be a little higher, for Canadians only, as he would have to charge taxes.

I was happy to find this post and read the positive comments about these kits as I bought mine on a whim. I travel alot and have had about zero time this winter to build anything so I had to revert to an ARF if I wanted to hame a backup for Basic IMAC this season.

Whoops i just checked their website and it looks like they did really well last weekend.. just about everything sold out but a few left and the 120 Sukhoi is only US$ 170.00! Here is a direct link http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/air...ch_results.htm .
Old 04-06-2004, 08:20 AM
mathieu

What is the URL of the official Phoenix models site?

Thanks alot!
Old 04-06-2004, 08:59 AM
shag26272
My Feedback: (2)

http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/air...ting_id=613162

theres the address for the 120 sukhoi only $170
Old 11-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Check out my User Review on the Phoenix SU-31. Trust me there is no catch. If you need something that flies better then this then you shouldn't be shopping prices.

Name:	Li21192.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	354000  
Old 11-14-2005, 09:34 PM
tinkicker

Here's a picture of my Phoenix Extra. Good quality, easy build and great flyer.

Name:	Tr50121.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	354503  
Old 11-15-2005, 04:25 AM
0_CoooL

I also agree, These I owned a Decathlon by Phoenix, VERY GOOD QUALITY! Built as good or even better than some of the more Higher End ARF's! [8D]
Old 11-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Al Lewis
Banned

Here's your pics. Check out my User Review on this plane. I'm on my third. Love em"

Name:	Yv65818.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	355054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39041.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	355055  
Old 11-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Tim Taylor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had two of the Phoenix Strega's and have to say they're some of the best arfs on the market. One died when I crossed ailerons and I sold the other. I only wish we could get the complete Phoenix line in the states. I ordered a Funstar from Tower. It hasn't arrived yet.

Tim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.