Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

having failsafe problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having failsafe problems

First off, ill say that i may have damaged my rx dut to stupidity. The rx is the AR 8000, tith the DX 7. I had hooked up a gyro the other dad on the ailerons to try it out. Didnt care for it so i removed it. When i plugged the Y lead back in i plugged it up side down. This killed my two aileron servos. I replaced them and every thing was working fine, but in the midst of all that i mistakenly shut down the tx and noticed the throttle go all the way to WOT. I pulled out the book and tried to set the preset failsafe per manual but it wouldnt bind. I unplugged the sat rx, and it bound. Then it wont work untill i plug the sat rx back in, but meanwhile the fail safe wont program. Did i burn my rx? Ive never experienced this and im sure glad i found it. All i need is my plane taking off and climbing like a banshee till it runs dry. Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer. Steve.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:59 AM
Len Todd

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: having failsafe problems

<div>Given that your throttle went to WOT on a Preset Failsafe Test, so to speak, that suggests that you set the preset failsafe (or never set it in the first place) and then reversed the throttle setting on the transmitter w/o rebinding in the Preset Failsafe with the new throttle setting. That is kind of easy to forget.</div><div></div>Have you tested the servos using a programmer/tester or another Rxer? I have plugged servos in backwards before without damaging them. But I have never done that with two on a Y. That could have doubled the load typically seen when plugging them in backwards. But, I guess I would have to see them on a tester to be convinced they were bad.<div></div><div>I suppose it is possible that you could havehosedup the Rxer with two servos on a Y and plugging them in backwards. But, I don't think that would mess up your binding capability. Have you measured the Voltage on the Rxer's buss and the current on the AILE circuit when operating a servo. If that is O.K., then I am not sure why the Binding on Preset Failsafe would be affected.</div><div></div><div><u>I have found that when binding in the Preset Failsafe settings, I have to hold the bind button a bit longer than when just binding. </u>Don't ask me why. But it is this way on both my DX8s. For the Preset Failsafe to take, I end up holding the button a few seconds after the power button blinks on the transmitter. There can be a lot of froggin' around when doing the preset failsafe. Forget the control surface settings and set the throttle to idle and just try to get the bind for the preset. Then once you got the timing down, then do a preset failsafe bind adding in your control surface settings.</div><div></div><div></div>
Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 AM
AndyKunz

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

How long you hold the button on the Spektrum transmitters makes no difference. It is only used to put the module into Bind Mode. After it's in Bind Mode, it takes care of itself. You can release it immediately and it won't make any difference vs if you hold it in for the entire flight.

Andy
Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 PM
stevegauth30

I am going to read through the book again and try again. Maybe it was me. But I know for a fact the servos are fried. I tried them on two different RX's. I need to invest in a tester. I know there cheap enough. Steve
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM
daytonarc
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

How long you hold the button on the Spektrum transmitters makes no difference. It is only used to put the module into Bind Mode. After it's in Bind Mode, it takes care of itself. You can release it immediately and it won't make any difference vs if you hold it in for the entire flight.

Andy

Not always true Andy. Remember this thread? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1769644
Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Len Todd

Andy
I figured you would pipe up and say that. I will give mine another few tests tonight. But, I just went thru this on a new build and my DX8's and AR 9210s will not bind and set Preset Failsafes unless I release the Bind button on the transmtter a moment after the transmitter's "Power On" light flashes. Sorry if you don't like hearing that. But that is what I have observed on my setups. Like I said, I'll try what you are suggesting again. During my testing, I was more focussed on getting the telemtry's RPM sensor working than getting the failsafes exactly like I want them.

Just to be clear here: there are two failsafes. To set the preset failsafe, which is used on loss of transmitter, you have to pull the bind plug before you turn on the transmitter with the bind button pressed. After you pull the bind plug, the Rxer will still be blinking and that is when you try to bind with the transmitter.

If you reversed the throttle on the transmitter, then you need to redo the Preset Failsafe. Otherwise the plane will go to WOT on a loss of transmitter power.
<br type="_moz" />
Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 PM
daytonarc

ORIGINAL: Len Todd

Andy
I figured you would pipe up and say that. I will give mine another few tests tonight. But, I just went thru this on a new build and my DX8's and AR 9210s will not bind and set Preset Failsafes unless I release the Bind button on the transmtter a moment after the transmitter's "Power On" light flashes. Sorry if you don't like hearing that. But that is what I have observed on my setups. Like I said, I'll try what you are suggesting again. During my testing, I was more focussed on getting the telemtry's RPM sensor working than getting the failsafes exactly like I want them.

As I found out you must release the bind button at least on some transmitters as soon as bind starts or the failsafe will revert to the rx default failsafe. If the model in question has the throttle servo reversed in the tx settings the rx default failsafe will not have the reverse set therefore the rx default failsafe will result in WOT. I inserted a link to the relevent thread above.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 AM
AndyKunz

It does not affect the BIND. PERIOD. It may affect presets, depending on your transmitter, but it does NOT AFFECT THE BIND.

As soon as you grasp that concept, you will understand why it can affect the failsafe setting.

Andy
Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 AM
daytonarc

"It does not affect the BIND. PERIOD"

True, the tx and rx will bind no matter how long the switch is held.

"How long you hold the button on the Spektrum transmitters makes no difference"

Not true, setting failsafes is a difference. Original post is about failsafe problems holding the switch can effect this.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:30 PM
AndyKunz

My reply was referring to Len's comment "I have found that when binding in the Preset Failsafe settings, I have to hold the bind button a bit longer than when just binding."

Holding the button longer makes no difference to having it bind correctly in either preset or hold last mode. On SOME radios it could affect the position that a failsafe is set to, but it makes NO difference to the bind process and the type of failsafe used, other than that on SOME radios it can affect the position.

That was also clearly made several times in the previous threads.

Andy
Old 02-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Len Todd

And I was referring to getting the desired preset failsafe positions programmed. "Button press" timing seems to be a variable that one has to play with a bit to get the desired failsafe positions to take. And for me it could also even be a matter of keeping the control surfaces in the correct positions while froggin' around with the Transmitter's power switch and bind buttons, etc. Pressing the bind button too long has never been an obvious issue for me. But, I could have held it down too long and then the program may have reverted back to OEM settings. I just have never noticed that. On first doing a preset failsafe, I got the OEM settings, so I began pressing the button until the power on indicator flashed and then let it go. Since then, I always get a setting change, but it may not be exactly where I thought I was holding the sticks, etc.. But that "post flash setting change" has never been the OEM setting, as far as I can recall.<div></div><div>But for the WOT on loss of transmitter power problem, if you reversed the throttle servo, you have to do a preset failsafe after reversing the servo to prevent the WOT on loss of transmitter power.</div><div></div><div>Also to get that preset failsafe to program your desired positions, you have to pull the bind plug after the Rxer starts flashing and before you power on the transmitter with the bind button pressed. You may be surprised how many people I have met in the field that do not realize there are two failsafes and you have to pull the bind plug before turning on the transmitter to program the preset failsafe. Actually, after a Rxer swap, I had a problem with the Kill Switch not working on loss of transmitter power. Andy reminded me that I had to program the Preset Failsafe to fix the problem. I knew it was involved, but had forgotten all about it.</div>
Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Len Todd

And I was referring to getting the desired preset failsafe positions programmed. ''Button press'' timing seems to be a variable that one has to play with a bit to get the desired failsafe positions to take. And for me it could also even be a matter of keeping the control surfaces in the correct positions while froggin' around with the Transmitter's power switch and bind buttons, etc. Pressing the bind button too long has never been an obvious issue for me. But, I could have held it down too long and then the program may have reverted back to OEM settings. I just have never noticed that. On first doing a preset failsafe, I got the OEM settings, so I began pressing the button until the power on indicator flashed and then let it go. Since then, I always get a setting change, but it may not be exactly where I thought I was holding the sticks, etc.. But that ''post flash setting change'' has never been the OEM setting, as far as I can recall.<div> </div><div>But for the WOT on loss of transmitter power problem, if you reversed the throttle servo, you have to do a preset failsafe after reversing the servo to prevent the WOT on loss of transmitter power.</div><div> </div><div>Also to get that preset failsafe to program your desired positions, you have to pull the bind plug after the Rxer starts flashing and before you power on the transmitter with the bind button pressed. You may be surprised how many people I have met in the field that do not realize there are two failsafes and you have to pull the bind plug before turning on the transmitter to program the preset failsafe. Actually, after a Rxer swap, I had a problem with the Kill Switch not working on loss of transmitter power. Andy reminded me that I had to program the Preset Failsafe to fix the problem. I knew it was involved, but had forgotten all about it.</div>
I do not know if this was mentioned, but not all Spektrum receivers have two separate Bind Processes because not all support both types of Failsafe Conditions.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Len Todd

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I do not know if this was mentioned, but not all Spektrum receivers have two separate Bind Processes because not all support both types of Failsafe Conditions.
The OP indicated he had an AR 8000. But, you are correct.
<br type="_moz" />