Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
Reload this Page >

Looking for a chassis for a scale armored car... SdKfz-222

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Looking for a chassis for a scale armored car... SdKfz-222

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:38 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking for a chassis for a scale armored car... SdKfz-222

Hey guys!

I usually frequent the RC Tanks section but I suspect the 'crawler guys will be able to help me (& us!) out!

I'm interested in scratch building the body & upper bits of a SdKfz-222 WW2 armored car. The idea is that a ready to run 4WD chassis will be easiest to build off of...

So, if anyone knows of the best particular one to look into, that'd be awesome!

What we'd need is... 4WD, 4 wheel steering (preferably with a linkage or something that can be modified into 4 wheel steering), and rough dimensions of: 6-7 inch wheelbase & 4.5 inch width.

Those are the rough 1/16 dimensions, and naturally some leeway is expected on a project like this :P

Thanks for the help

Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a chassis for a scale armored car... SdKfz-222

The closest thing I can think of in rtr form is Losi's mini trail trekker. I think it's a bit too small though. The wheelbase would need to be stretched from 4.8" and you'd need to widen it too from 3.7". Even if you did that, I don't know how durable it would be. If you were able to build it from parts though, you could use RC4wd's micro t-rex axles, which would be much stronger(they're made of aluminum w/steel gears and shafts) and you may be able to get closer to your desired width(depends on the wheels you use).
http://store.rc4wd.com/118-T-Rex-Mic...xle_p_437.html

I wish I could be of more help, but there currently isn't a whole lot of trucks that are close to the size you need.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Strato50

The dimensions aren't AS important, as say the steering mechanism & 4WD in a relatively simple package. Do many of these crawler rigs use a single motor & steering servo? Im blissfully ignorant :P
Old 02-16-2013, 12:26 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Strato50

The dimensions aren't AS important, as say the steering mechanism & 4WD in a relatively simple package. Do many of these crawler rigs use a single motor & steering servo? Im blissfully ignorant :P
A few use two motors with a gearbox integrated in each axle, but most use a single motor and transmission mounted in the center with drive-shafts to the axles.

Typically crawlers will have two servos that are mounted on the axles for 4WS. Some trucks that are designed to have a realistic appearance, like Tamiya's high lift, use cranks to transfer the movement of chassis mounted servos to the axles.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Strato50

I did some more looking around, and the 1/18 scales seem to be a good fit. Losi's 1/18 looks really nice, the only (minor) detraction being non 4WS... but I can live with that.

There are a ton of 1/18 "trucks" on eBay with 4WS, but I'd prefer something from a solid name brand, losi, traxxas, HPI, because of parts and repair.

Thanks for the info so far!

*edit* I just noticed you can mod some of these chassis INTO 4WS... now that sounds like it would be perfect in the Losi frame.. thoughts?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM
nitro stan

that will work. you would need c hubs,knuckles,servo mount,steering linkages parts and the front axle shafts. i dont know if the losi uses a cv axle or a dog bone/stub axle like axial does.
should be able to score the stock parts cheap.
and tcs makes a scale truck chassis for the MRC, if the twin plate wont work for you
Old 02-20-2013, 05:53 AM
Strato50

I did some more digging.

With the 1/18 Mini-Rock Crawler from Losi, you can upgrade to all wheel steering with about $20 in extra parts, and a second servo. That sold it for me. I hope my LHS carries it!!

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/front-spindles-carriers-with-hardware-mrc-LOSB1409]Front Spindals & Carriers[/link]

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/steering-links-long-short-mrc-LOSB1410]Steering Links[/link]

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/servo-plates-mounts-2-mrc-LOSB1421]Servo Mount[/link]

With a Spektrum Dx6i I wont even need a servo Y harness, I can just program it in.

If anyone has any more suggestions, let me know! There might be a few of us getting these, we love our crazy armored cars :P
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM
The Mad Modder

Wouldn't that be too wide, though? Losi's site says that it's 7.425 inches wide.