Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Help with older air start AMT Murcury

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Help with older air start AMT Murcury

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with older air start AMT Murcury

I may soon become the owner of an older AMT murcury air start engine. I hve no experiance with AMT or air start engines. The gentleman that currently owns it inherited it from his father who passed away. He says he has no data terminal or start box and I have no idea what it needs in this regard. I dont know it it requires a start box simialr to the old RAM air start engines used or just it needs. I dont expect to run it but I do hope to sell it but it would be nice to know what is required besides a regulator and a scuba tank ? We are not even sure at this point if it is a Mercury. we do know it is an air start AMT engine, just not cetain which one for sure or what it is worth as it sits.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help with older air start AMT Murcury

Brian, sent you a pm
Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

The old AMT's are great. You don't need a start box, or anything too special. It can be started with a bottle of propane, a glow driver, and a small blower. The data terminal is nice to have... but I started mine for a year without one.

Here's a vid I made showing how to manually start an AMT.

http://youtu.be/Svsw810G5UU
Old 02-20-2013, 05:38 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Tony

My sound is not working. What did you use to make your air blower. I still have an Olympus and use scuba but your idea looks great.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

great video and a technique i've used once or twice on my original mercury, but the bigger motors (peggy/ollie) will be tougher to get up to minimum rpm for light off.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Kevin: The blower is a generic bosch heater blower. (for a car) And... what "YeahBaby" was saying is probably true. I've never tried to use this blower on the larger engines... but I know it didn't put out enough air on a 3cell LiPo for my 180. With that said... you may get enough air out of an 18v leaf blower.

I just checked the vid... sound was fine. It may have been a glitch.

TurnNburn: As far as "What it's worth"... it depends on the condition of the engine. 180's are going for $600 to $900 in good running order. Recently... there was a 280 in the for sale section... and it sat for a while... and I think he was only asking $1100 for it.

If you aren't sure what engine it is... you can see the size of my 180 in the vid. The 280 is physically bigger. (the 180 is 3.8" around, and the 280 is 4.7")

If you are looking to sell it... give me a yell. Most people don't want to deal with air start anymore, but I don't mind it. AND... I need an engine for a HotSpot I'm finishing.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM
yeahbaby

Ha Ha Ha you and me both amigo!!! I've got two of these babies destined for the large Airworld Me262. assuming it goes to production.

I thought I was the last of the dinosaurs...:-)

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

If you aren't sure what engine it is... you can see the size of my 180 in the vid. The 280 is physically bigger. (the 180 is 3.8'' around, and the 280 is 4.7'')

If you are looking to sell it... give me a yell. Most people don't want to deal with air start anymore, but I don't mind it. AND... I need an engine for a HotSpot I'm finishing.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM
frema

i have a black and decker leaf blower
works great to
no need for scuba
and no terminal needed for starting
Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

Ha Ha Ha you and me both amigo!!! I've got two of these babies destined for the large Airworld Me262. assuming it goes to production.

If you aren't sure what engine it is... you can see the size of my 180 in the vid. The 280 is physically bigger. (the 180 is 3.8'' around, and the 280 is 4.7'')

I bet everytime you have to air start one of those CFM56's you think of AMT.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:04 AM
yeahbaby

Haha hell no!! The cfm56 are waaaay easier to start

Yup, I was going to mention I've used a leaf blower to start the Merks before also. You don't need an edt to start once you know what your listening for during ecu beep recognition and start sequence.

Cheers
Old 02-20-2013, 02:22 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Ive about decided I want to run it and fly it initially before I sell it. I need to know what voltage and capacity and type of battery I can use for the engine ? I assume the battery runs the fuel pump and ECU
Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM
yeahbaby

I just looked in my manual and it states you can run 6-8 cells amigo.

yes the battery runs the fuel pump and ECU

I use an 11 volt Lipo on my merk in the bob kitty and king kitty and have been doing so successfully for a few years on all three variants of motors.

happy to help when you go flying, i'm in town for the next few days if you decide to give it a spin. I need to take the king kitty out for a ride anyway and can bring the iron lung if you need

call anytime.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

Not at all my friend, I still love my air start Peggy in my Raptor! Have even given thought to converting my big oly to air to save some weight.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 PM
yeahbaby

Right On!!! you probably have the only flying Raptor out there amigo and I bet it hauls the chili with the peggy!!!!

I converted both my peggy / ollie to semi-electric start but I still start them manually. eventually I'll go full auto start but I enjoy being involved with the start sequence.

great painting tutorials lil fella.

cheers
Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I love my Raptor my friend, nobody is getting that one from me. I still think it is the best sports jet that was ever designed. I hated my bandit compared to the raptor. The rappy is faster, truer, and Imo way better looking.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

I thought I was the last of the dinosaurs...:-)...so says Buck

Nope......still a few aging wooooop....woooopers out there....

#1 1999 Merc, delivered before the split of Bennie and Han, upgraded to HP by Bennie....going back into my Compo SB......only old folks remember Larry and Vern Kramer and Frances Pischner hot fueling their smokin' Merco Compo Bandits at Superman and FJ.....

#2 Standard Peggy AMT NL

#3 Peggy HP NL

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59824.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1854637  
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 AM
yeahbaby

Woop Woopers Rule!!!! Helluva collection amigo. Bring those jets and Cookies to Mississippi!!!!

ORIGINAL: Tom Antlfinger

I thought I was the last of the dinosaurs...:-)...so says Buck

Nope......still a few aging wooooop....woooopers out there....

#1 1999 Merc, delivered before the split of Bennie and Han, upgraded to HP by Bennie....going back into my Compo SB......only old folks remember Larry and Vern Kramer and Frances Pischner hot fueling their smokin' Merco Compo Bandits at Superman and FJ.....

#2 Standard Peggy AMT NL

#3 Peggy HP NL

Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM
AMTdude

ORIGINAL: Tom Antlfinger

1999 Merc, delivered before the split of Bennie and Han, upgraded to HP by Bennie....going back into my Compo SB......only old folks remember Larry and Vern Kramer and Frances Pischner hot fueling their smokin' Merco Compo Bandits at Superman and FJ.....

Ahh yes, the good ole' days...sigh I guess I am getting old Tom, been working with AMT engines for 15 years now, it doesn't seem like its been that long.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
weasel33

Few Dinosaurs this side of the pond as well
Mercury HP which goes in the F22

and an unrun Pegasus HP which must be over 5 years old and thats going in the L39

start box i knocked up from an old tool box just to keep everything tidy

brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72374.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1854686