Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

what to buy, gt, xxxnt or cen??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 05:19 AM
dmgiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to buy, gt, xxxnt or cen??

I have had electric cars forever and my friend just got a XXX-NT that I drove tonight. It was amazing. I'm sold on nitro. Can I have some opinions on the Losi versus the GT? It will be for backyard and vacant lot thrashing and the occasional run on the street with on-road tires... I know this is apples and oranges, but the CEN Fun Factor ad caught my eye where it says "all Fun Factor trucks will do 45+ mph." I want a race-quality ride with plenty of available hop-ups and lots of durability... what do you guys think?

I currently have a B4 that I recently purchased....

thanks.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:02 AM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: what to buy, gt, xxxnt or cen??

I have a Cen MT2 and the 45 mph is very accurate!! And that is the Monster truck. If you are looking to bash , I would suggest the MT2 or any MT over a stadium truck. They are more durable.

Also, the Cen does not have the available hopups right now. If you are looking for availability, I would get the Losi or Associated (whichever your local Hobby Store carries) because when they break, and they will, you will have parts ready for you to get!!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:03 AM
Aterlatus

I've got a CEN TR4.

At one point, I'd bust my front gear box to the point where the bottom of the front suspension was dragging along the floor.

I still beat my bro in his 1:1 car to 45mph

Didn't get it any faster though, but I'm guessing I could now it's fixed

CEN make nice little cars. I've yet to see false reports of their speeds...

If you're only ever going to be driving on roads or car parks, you might want to consider the TR4 and the like instead (the on-road cars). If you wanna be able to run on anything over than mostly flat surfaces (slightly rocky ground, grass) then you'll have to take the FF or MT2 though

As I tell everyone who appears new to the hobby though, beware of 1:1 car wheels - they do more damage than kerbs! (no idea why though)
Old 09-17-2003, 09:21 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

If it's a Bash mobile you want I'd go with the 4WD truck, they're lot more fun in the loose stuff
The GT and the xxx-nt are realy made for racing(on tracks), The xxx-nt has a better suspension than the gt but the GT is more durable in crashes.

The RC10 GT is a great first truck for many reasons, Durable, easy to work on, parts and hop-ups are readily available.

the xxx-nt is better if you're a more experiance driver and want to be competitive on the track.

I've had both and now I have a Mugen MST-1, go figure

Good luck
Old 09-17-2003, 10:17 AM
Henderson

Like the other guys said, can't go wrong with any of them. I happen to love stadium trucks and the Losi in particular. The Losi just looks so trick compared to the Associated (not that looks have anything to do with performance, yes i realize this) when you take the body off. Wish i had the money, i'd go buy a XXX-NT Adam Drake edition.

Scale, how do you like that Mugen? I'm curious about that one and the Kyosho.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:45 PM
rushdude
My Feedback: (1)

I have driven my friends gt and I have a losi. The gt it is a little slower than the losi. Both trucks are very durable and they are both very good trucks but in my opinion the losi is better. Either the losi or the gt would be a good choice.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:53 PM
studysession

Racing or bashing - I prefer 1/8 scale buggies....
Old 09-17-2003, 04:36 PM
dmgiff

Studysession, tell me why you prefer 1/8 buggies.... I'm sort of interested in them as well. I know, I'm a mess. I think the solution is I'm going to end up with one of everything. I'm currently leaning toward the losi right now, mainly cuz that's what my buddy just got. But I'm still exploring the 4WD monster trucks too.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:11 PM
studysession

It is definately something you will not be doing wheelies with, but they are my favorate for bashing and racing.

My favorate is going to construction sites. No matter how hard i hit things or how high I junp. I have not broken a thing and I can just keep on going. I have the Hyper 7 PS and it is wicked fast. Being 1/8th scale parts are LOT thicker, so better durability. This does not hold true for EVERYTHING that is bigger and thick, because at track i race at the 1/6 scale buggies break easily.

Jump, flip, crash, land upside down from a 15 - 25 foot high jump, not even have wheels touch ground just upside down, just turn it back over press the throttle and away i go....

Only thing with all nitro cars, ALWAYS check all screws and use LOTS of lock tite. No matter what I do I always seem to loose screws on any nitro car I have. I am thinking of switching from the blue which is medium to the red locktight which is hard.

Not all 1/8th scales are made the same. You would need to pick a good brand like Kyosho or OFNA or Mugen.... Something that is known to be a good brand. I like the OFNA because of my experience of the Hyper 7.

But someone else may not have the same experience with the same car. Someone could get one and not know how to fix and tune things right and think they are crap from that experience.

There I go abbling again. I just love this hooby and think 1/8th scale buggies rock... for wheelies go with a 4 wheel drive MT. If you are wanting to bash, you will be upset in the long run and want to buy another truck if you get a stadium truck because the rear wheel drive can not get though as much as a 4 wheel drive.

I love bashing with my buggy better that my 2 monster trucks though anyday.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:40 PM
petrolpixie

i would go with the cen fun factor mt2. i have this truck and i absolutely love it!!!!
it is one of the most durable trucks i have owned and has more then enough power to keep anyone happy. most hop ups are done for u already (2 speed, tuned pipe)
if you get bored with the power of the mt2 then you can always drop a .21 almost straight in (a little dremel work is needed)

if you need to ask any questions about the mt2, i would be more then happy to answer them for you.
hope this helps you to make up your mind.
regards, adrian
Old 09-17-2003, 06:27 PM
dmgiff

Hey Petrol, you asked for it, so here goes. I will be more specific about my experience.... a few years ago, I was in the 1/10 electric racing scene quite heavily and then got out of it. Recently decided to get back into it, but probably not any serious racing. Maybe once in awhile for fun. Anyway, I have a new B4, but drove my friend's Losi NT last night, as I already said, and decided I have to have one. The things I really liked about it were the amazing wheel-spinning power, insane donuts in the middle of the street and once, when I went off the curb, it loaded the rear-end at exactly the right time and pulled a long wheelie. I have a pretty good size lot in my backyard to build a track for me, my son and a couple friends... that said, I'm trying to decide between the Losi NT and the Cen MT... I've never even seen a Cen, much less driven one, so I don't know if the 4WD would limit the fun?? Probably won't have quite the wheel-spin or the donut-action although wheelies might be easier, since it's a 4WD. I read the article in RC Nitro on the Cen and it was quite favorable, and the price is right as well. What to do, what to do.... and as for speed, would the Cen (stock) be as fast as the Losi? (stock also) Hard to imagine that big truck as fast as the Losi.... please help.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:52 PM
petrolpixie

if you want to see a vid that i made that has my cen mt2 in it then go to http://studysession.com and d/l the video there. half way thru the video i broke the front unis so it was only rear wheel drive as u will see by the donuts it pulls. also i have a vid of the mt2 doing donuts (again) after i locked the rear diff located on my yahoo group (address for it is in my signature) as you can tell i love doing donuts lol
i am going to be doing a .21 conversion to my mt2 soon as well so i will let you know how that goes. i would of had the conversin done already but work is eating away at any free time i may have [:@]
as for wheelies.... well i have pulled a few wheelies but that was only while i was on the power and it hit a rock and lifted the front wheels. i am actually trying very hard to get it to do a wheely before i do the conversion. it is almost there but not quite. i think if i run 20% then the wheelies wont be a problem.
speed wise the mt2 will do about 45mph (as tested by a magazine....cant remember which one tho) comparing it to the losi is hard because i havent seen a losi let alone driven one so i wont lie to you an that part.
hope all this helps somemore and keep the questions coming!!!! lol
Old 09-17-2003, 07:06 PM
MrSavage

my gt has been awesome except for the fact that right now it dies at 1/2 throttle for some reason...?
Old 09-17-2003, 07:15 PM
petrolpixie

my gt has been awesome except for the fact that right now it dies at 1/2 throttle for some reason...?
try richening the hsn a bit and see if that helps, if not then lean it out a bit at a time
Old 09-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Wild Gopher

Go with the Mugen MST-1 if you want a race quality ST. I got mine a few months ago and love it. Nothing but good comes from this truck
Old 09-17-2003, 08:40 PM
MrSavage

well se i richened it and it didn't help. so i shut it off to try to lean it out but now i can't even get i t started even with a fully charged igniter and new plug!!
Old 09-18-2003, 01:48 AM
WhiskyVR-4

I'm with Studysession on this one, 1/8th buggy is the way to go, you will thank yourself later when you don't have 3 trucks and finally figure out that you really wanted a buggy all along.

The XTM "deluxe" buggy seems to be a decent blend of price and functionality, at $500 RTR its hard to beat and I don't know anyone who bought one and wished that they had bought something more expensive (mugen or ofna).
Old 09-18-2003, 08:18 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: Muddy

Like the other guys said, can't go wrong with any of them. I happen to love stadium trucks and the Losi in particular. The Losi just looks so trick compared to the Associated (not that looks have anything to do with performance, yes i realize this) when you take the body off. Wish i had the money, i'd go buy a XXX-NT Adam Drake edition.

Scale, how do you like that Mugen? I'm curious about that one and the Kyosho.
I love the MST, it drives great, Handles the jumps like an 1/8th scale
Very similar to the xxx-nt,

It has a few growing pains, must have s are aluminum rear hub carriers, and the diff rings were quickly, (most guys are modifing assc. diff rings until Mugen addresses the problem,,

ps the new MST kits are suposed to have the aluminum hub carriers,

Gopher, where you racing that MST ?
Old 09-19-2003, 08:35 AM
Gabrill

For all you GT bashers, Check out the final results in the ROAR Off Road Nationals . . .

http://www.roarracing.com/nats/resul...ff-6-15-03.doc

Billy Easton drives a GT. It's the driver that wins the race. Not the vehicle.