Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

tc3 speed question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 PM
esotherden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tc3 speed question

Out of the hobby for 15 years and got back in 6 months ago. I got a used tc3 and put the 13.5 turn brushless novak drift spec ESC and motor in. I don't have it set up for drift. Just want a car to run in a large nicely paved parking lot next to my house. With the good weather I just was driving it and it seems slow. The batteries I've tried are the 7 cell NIMH one that came stock with my Slash and a 2 cell 5600 50c Venom lipo. I've even put on a large 26 or 28 tooth pinion. Not sure what spur sinceI got it used.

The car seems slow. My others are an RC10b4.1, Slash 2wd and Losi Mini 8ight. They all seem faster on the pavement than the onroad car. The tc3 tracks well and grips the road tightly, so I can see how it would be fun to drive on a road racing course, but just seems slow in the big parking lot.

Any ideas as to why it seems slow, or is it normal my other cars would be quicker? I know the Novak is no longer what it was when I was first in the hobby, but it seems that any decent brushless set up should make for a quick parking lot car. Is it because I got the drift combo?

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:30 AM
WindyCitySquirrel

Default RE: tc3 speed question

Start counting spur teeth if the size isn't molded into the spur...

Your internal drive ratio is (should be) 2.5:1

Do the math old school =

spur size / pinion size X internal drive ratio = FDR (final drive ratio)

The lower the final drive = the faster it'll go -

BUT ya can't go too low...

or try the chart link

<a href="http://www.gearchart.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=chart.create" target="_blank">http://www.gearchart.com/index.cfm?f...n=chart.create
</a>
Other possibilities:
The motor timing is off
The motor is a dog
The TX, RX and or the ESC need to be recalibrated / set up
The TC3 gods don't like you...

TC3 manual(s) and stuff here =www.teamassociated.com/manuals/TC3/

Set up stuff =<a href="http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=158096" target="_blank">www.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php
</a>

ORIGINAL: esotherden

Out of the hobby for 15 years and got back in 6 months ago. I got a used tc3 and put the 13.5 turn brushless novak drift spec ESC and motor in. I don't have it set up for drift. Just want a car to run in a large nicely paved parking lot next to my house. With the good weather I just was driving it and it seems slow. The batteries I've tried are the 7 cell NIMH one that came stock with my Slash and a 2 cell 5600 50c Venom lipo. I've even put on a large 26 or 28 tooth pinion. <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">Not sure what spur sinceI got it used.</span>

The car seems slow. My others are an RC10b4.1, Slash 2wd and Losi Mini 8ight. They all seem faster on the pavement than the onroad car. The tc3 tracks well and grips the road tightly, so I can see how it would be fun to drive on a road racing course, but just seems slow in the big parking lot.

Any ideas as to why it seems slow, or is it normal my other cars would be quicker? I know the Novak is no longer what it was when I was first in the hobby, but it seems that any decent brushless set up should make for a quick parking lot car. Is it because I got the drift combo?

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM
esotherden

Thanks for the tips. It seems like I am running a 28 tooth pinion on a 72 tooth spur for a final ratio of 6.43

What ratio is ideal for speed runs in a big parking lot? At that ratio would you expect it to feel sluggish on the top end? It is fun to turn and I bet would be fun on a road racing course (my first onroad 4wd car) but doesn't seem fast on the top end. Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:08 PM
JoeMaxx

You seem to be using a great LiPo battery pack. You can adjust the speed and torque slightly with pinion and spur gears but it is the RPMs of the electric motors that make them run faster. A 13.5T brushless motor is about 3000 KV motor and spins at around22,000 rpms. I am lookng at putting a 4900 Kv motor into my TC4 along with a 5000 40C 2S battery pack.

I posted to see what others are using but not got an answer back on what others use. I do not race mine but would love to hit the onroad track again that is about 40 miles away. My 2002 MugenMTX 3 has not been run in about 6 years and would love to take it out again. Need to purchase some 35 Shore Foam 30MMtires forthe rear and 28MM tires for the frontsince the old ones dry rotted from sitting too long.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXZMX3&amp;P=7</p>
Old 04-02-2013, 04:12 PM
esotherden

Update: I recently got a SC10 kit, built it and installed new electronics. It turned out the +/- motor leads were reversed (same brand motor and ESC, so you'd think the colors of the wire would match). This led to reverse being at 100%, while forward was only at 50%. Switch the wires, and the change the setting on my transmitter and now everything is cool. I'm fairly certain the same issue is what is happening with my TC3. I have a broken part to replace and have been more into my buggy and short course trucks, so I haven't gotten to it yet. Thanks for your input.