Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Getting into onroad, and have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 04:23 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into onroad, and have some questions...

I am going to start racing Tamiya M05s at my local track. Heres my questions;
1. Does the body style have any diffrence?
2. What is the stock motor?
3. Sock ESC?
4. Best tires for asphault?
5. Best tires for carpet?
6. Is it any harder than offroad?
Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 PM
JoeMaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Getting into onroad, and have some questions...

The body style makes a lot of difference for wind resistance and downward force to keep it on the road. If I were to purchase one it would probably one of these two because they have a little better wind resistance then the Mini's

On Road cars require almosta perfect suspension setup where as Off Road racing will allow for some flaws in the setup. When I bought my Mugen MTX 3 back in 2002 and after playing one summer I went back and bought a Hudy Setup Board in 2003 because it just would stay on the track with only simple measuring tools. I had to have precise measuring tools to setup the suspension properly. On Roads are harder to setup than Off Roads for racing. You have to spend a lot of money on setup tools to perfect the suspension. Toe In Toe out needs to be about 0 degrees, Caster and Camber setups using pro charts. Toe in the rear about 2.5 Degrees for traction and toein the front at either 0 Degrees or .5toe out for cornering and striaght line stabaility. It is not easy to setup an on road car. Their are also Droop settings this prevents the frame from hitting the road and as the tires wear down it needs to be changed.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXYVN6&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXCBCD&P=7

The Tamiya M05s is not really a on road racer but will probably do ok in a begineer class or for lots of fun running on a on road track. Because they are Front Wheel drive and not 4 wheel drive. From what I have looked at for the specs.

It has a 540 motor but probably only a 27 turn since they do not list the speed of the motor. Back inthe days I was lookiing at using my Team AssociatedKit TC4for on road and carpet racingtheirwas a standard class with a 17T motor and the rest of the classes were modifiedwith down to 8T motors of course this was back on 2004 nowalmost 10years later they have different classes of racing with the introductionof Brushlessmotors andhave not looked into themyet since I do not race andjust a serious basherthat loves torun on tracks instead of parking lots.

Foam tires have the best traction on road and on carpet but looking at the cars specs I do not know if you could use standard style foam tires on this car. They are 25 MM and most foam tires start at 26 MMthan 28 MM and 30 MM wide. The kit does not state what the Hex Hub size is and this is important because the standard is a 12 mm Hex for most on road racing cars. If it is a 12mm Hex I would run a 35 to 40 shore on pavement and a 40 to 45 shore tire on carpet. The softer the compound on carpet will cause a tire basically melt it is high grip carpet track.

Many of the early classes for onroad electricR/Cpavement racing only allowed for rubber tires and not foam tires. Foam tires back then were onlyused with Nitro Racing Class cars. Times might have changed and I have not read any rule books in many years.

here is an artical

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...cle&sid=27

The ESC is listed below and will not handle motors under 25T

SPECS: Control System: High frequency wave drive
Max. Continuous Current (FET spec): Forward 60A
Output: Forward 100%, Reverse 50%
Input Voltage: 6.6 - 7.2V
Compatible Motor: R/C car Tamiya Sport Tuned motors or motors more
than 25T
Driving Frequency: 1kHz
Output Voltage for Receiver: 6.6 - 7.2V
Dimensions: 1.6 x 1.4 x 0.59" (39.4 x 36.5 x 15mm)
Weight: 1.6oz (47g)
Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Getting into onroad, and have some questions...

If you are racing in a tamiya mini class you will need to run the stock silver can motor it came with.
Body style does make a difference, but the best choice is one with a rounded nose when looking from above so you can drive off the wall when you crash nose first into it. For example the new mini body will skid off the wall under power and the original body will just push against it.