Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

engine starts backwards

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 02:04 PM
jsswcks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine starts backwards

i have a new (3weeks old)xtm outlaw with the 18motor when i got it the pullstart slips pretty bad but is it starts right away so its not a problem ,the problem is that about every three times that i start it it fires and runs backwards for about ten seconds then the idle decreases and starts running te right way what causes this and will it hurt my motor?
Old 09-20-2003, 11:03 PM
2mcgrath
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: engine starts backwards

does it have a reverse could be getting stuck in reverse
Old 09-20-2003, 11:33 PM
MadTripper

Check this post out:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...tm.htm#1133128

Also, go to the top of your forum page and you will find the "search" field. If you put "backwards" in the field and do a search, you will find many topics related to your's. Most seem to be in the Airplane forum but they should still apply to your situation or at least one of them.

Hope that helps!

Tripper
Old 09-21-2003, 08:53 AM
maUru

i have no experience with backwards running motors, check that the pullstarter is turning the right way (if you havent opened it then it should be going the right way) - you said it was slipping...check the one way ball bearings on the pullstart?
Old 09-21-2003, 09:39 AM
nodolarsnosense
Banned

an engine doesnt run one way then change direction your fibbing about that part.
the engine would need to have a reason to change direction after 10 seconds which it doesnt have
and the engine would have to come to standstill to chage direction, it would stall before this happens. not to mention the engine is probly incapable of being manually turned backwards, let alone running backwards. a busted one way bearing is one thing but a backwards running engine is another.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:58 AM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

you are wrong nodolarsnosense. engines can change directions, happens with airplanes all the time. one of my airplane engines starts clockwise, then when you blip the throttle back and forth it will switch to counter clock wise.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:49 PM
jsswcks

yes ur are wrong the engine does do that i whould not have believed it either but i saw it with my own eyes my car does not have reverse but when i start the motor the cars drives backwards when i give it full throttle it bogs down then then the motor starts running forward i think the one way bearing starts to grab when i give it throttle and then grabs .
Old 09-21-2003, 04:50 PM
rclooney

the only way i can see this happening is with reed valve engines.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:10 PM
rcfoolz
My Feedback: (1)

I wouldn't believe it either, but I saw it happen at our GASCAR race yesterday. The thing that we believe made it happen is that there is more than 1 head shim and the glow plug is either double shimmed or your using a short and should be running a long. This happened to an OS CV 12. After checking the motor out, we found 2 shims on the glow plug and the plug was to be a long and it was a short. So, YES this can happen. STRANGE, but does happen.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:25 AM
rclooney

The irvine .20 can run backwards for a bit.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:11 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your pull-start engine fires up backward, it is spinniing the one-way bearing the wrong way. The bearing should be replaced.