Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

wing help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 09:18 PM
mat1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing help

The other day I was flying and during clean up I noticed my wing was loose at the joint. I have an Avi star 40. I filled the crack with two part epoxy. Will this be enough? I'm new to flying and would hate to pile one up over something stupid. I 've heard something about wing tape what is it. The wing seems vary strong now. Help me
Old 09-20-2003, 10:13 PM
banktoturn

Default RE: wing help

mat1,

At which joint was it loose? In any case, if it was a problem, filling the crack with epoxy is not sufficient. Taping the joint with fiberglass cloth with epoxy or polyester resin would be one approach. If the joint in question is the joint between the spars of the wing halves, I would want to use some plywood to join them, with a nice lap joint. More detail might get you better answers.

banktoturn
Old 09-21-2003, 08:18 AM
mat1

Thank's, It is the joint between the two wing half's. I think I'll try some fiber glass
Old 09-21-2003, 08:39 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Three in. wide strip of 6 oz. glass cloth and finishing resin epoxy would do it, or if your going to treat it rough like I do, put down a 1 1/2 in wide strip first.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:47 PM
Bill DCat

I have the Hobbico Superstar Select. I believe it's alot like the avistar. If the Avistar's wings are joined with a couple of metal straps and screws like the Superstar was, you'll want to epoxy the halves together.

Don't just fill the crack that is opening up between the wing halves. Take the halves apart. Rough sand the exposed ribs and apply a thin film of epoxy to both halves. I'd use 30 minute epoxy to let it soak into the wood fibers. Assemble the wings halves back together and clamp or tape them together untill expoxy has cured.

I've seen lots of guys at the field fiberglassing their wing halves together on their trainers. I didn't do that becasu I kinda think it might be overkill and I didn't like the way it looked. I've been flying my trainer since March and haven't had a problem with cracks or seperation. And I've done hammerheads, snap-rolls, loops, rolls, fly inverted, etc without any problems.

I've really been surprised at the durability of these trainers. With all the stunts and rough landings, the thing is holding together pretty well.

Good luck and happy flying...