Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 08:43 AM
gs42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

I just got started in this ,and need some help..I have bought some used cars and parts from someone getting out of the sport..On the electric motors there is what looks like a small cap, that is cracked..is this an important part and what does it do?...not all of my motors have them..do all motors need them?..where can i get more?
Old 09-21-2003, 01:59 PM
gs42

Default RE: help

by cap,i mean capacitor
Old 09-21-2003, 02:34 PM
rclooney

A capacitor absorbs any interfirance from the motor as it sparks. Not all motors have them external as some, eg the ripmax motors have internal supression. Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:53 PM
Billyman
My Feedback: (1)

A cap (capacitor) stores energy or power so that the device being power fed retains a constant flow of a power without drop.

In other words:

If your RC motor requires 16volts to operate for max power and your battery pack is only rated at 16volts, under a load condition (take off for instance) the motor will “drag” down the 16volt power supply temporarily and may only be getting 12 to 14 volts under that load condition. The capacitor that has the stored energy “discharges” its stored energy so that the motor retains its minimum amount of power (in this case 16volts) for maximum power until a no-load or low-load condition has taken place. And at this time, the somewhat “discharged” cap now restores itself waiting for the next load condition.

It all happens very fast and unnoticed for the most part. The only noticeable difference is when your running or racing a guy that doesn’t have a cap. You’ll burn him off the starting line and accelerating off the turns.

To better understand a capacitor, think of a flash in a camera. There’s a teeny weeny little battery that does have the voltage to operate a flash but doesn’t have any stored energy to do an immediate release. That little whining of the camera that is heard between pictures is that widdle battery “charging” the cap. Once the cap has stored all the energy it can hold, it can now be discharged to operate the flash.

Don’t even get me started on AMPS.