Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCU Improvements

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RCU Improvements

I know this isn't the right place to post this but this forum is sort of my hangout here on RCU. I really liked the old RCU just the way it was and fear the so called improvements may just drive me away forever. I'm not one to criticize change when change is good but I fear the RCU changes are not for the best ..... at least from the user perspective. Oh well .... time will tell whether I stick this out.

I've followed instructions for correct log-on procedure and still have problems being recognized. It constantly wants me to update my profile which I do, etc. Many familiar forums are either gone are difficult to find, etc.

Having to completely re-establish oneself with the forum is kinda like having a long standing, close relationship with a company or person just erased overnight. Ones identity is just gone .... and its a struggle to get it back.

Last edited by Truckracer; 08-13-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: can't spell, can't write worth a hoot
Old 08-14-2013, 02:58 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having diffculty with the adjustment, too.

Email notifications are spotty, but I sometimes get notifications for whole forums, but not individual, subscribed, threads.

The "My Forums" doesn't seem to work. I have to get to them by finding my settings.

I hope they get things straightened out soon. It's getting hard to muster up enthusiasm to visit the site.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:29 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Thankfully, mine seems to have settled down to almost normal - though it sure didn't start off that way! I was getting a little frustrated too. Still some wierdness regarding notifications, but I can live with that.

Neither of you mention whether or not you've deleted your "cookies". I did that under Internet Explorer and was functional right away. Firefox was a little different, but it settled down the day after I deleted the cookies there. FWIW, -Al
Old 08-14-2013, 03:32 AM
TomCrump

I deleted my cookies yesterday. I did get two email notifications today. 3 counting this one.

The other mention problems remain, however.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one am not to thrilled about needing to sign in each time I leave and come back,is there something i'm missing here????
Old 08-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by Cyberwolf
I for one am not to thrilled about needing to sign in each time I leave and come back,is there something i'm missing here????
Well I can report some progress today. I went through everything I could find about logging on and staying on and followed the advice. Cleared cookies (again), etc. All seemed well then while moving forward to different pages in a couple of different threads, sure enough .... I was logged out again. I went through several log-ins and things seem more stable now.

I was on vacation over last week and just had a few minutes to work with the "NEW" RCU before I left. But on return, was very frustrated to find that things had really gone into the old dumpster. I hope I can adjust as there is a lot of good info scattered throughout RCU and I would hate to lose access to it. I do sense that we're all just a bunch of Beta testers and have to wonder how much thought actually went into the conversion ..... at least from a user standpoint. I'm sure it was all a very hard process but after working with many software developers before my retirement, I also know they have their own agenda that doesn't always match real world needs and requirements. As I said before ..... Oh well ...
Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM
thepamster

It was very frustrating for me as well. I could see a lot of people on here complaining about the new rcu and I couldn't even do that as I had "no permission" to post.
Initially clearing cookies did not work. Finally when I logged out from the "Home" page and then closed my browser and reopened rcu I was able to login and now seems to work the way it used to.
I never have loggged out here, until the upgrade, and now I don't have to login either, the way it was for me before.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:42 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have followed their advice to the letter, several times, clearing cookies, etc.. I still have to sign in each time, but it is strange. I click on "sign in", and it goes straight to my profile page without me entering my user name nor password. Suggests that I was already logged on right? Then when I click on the forum I want to go to, I am indeed "logged in". But why the extra steps each time to access the forums??

Other things aren't as pleasant as before either, but we will just have to get used to it. We had to get used to how things worked when we first joined right? It's a pain in the ***** to have to get re-accustomed to how every thing works, but after a while we'll forget the pain.... What I worry more about is the less than computer literate people that will quite likely never figure it out, and/or the lazy or not so enthused/involved people, that we will lose forever here in the forums.

All in all quite a poor choice by RCU I would say....

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 08-14-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Truckracer

Well things were going well earlier today but now, I'm back pretty much to how things were a day ago. I have to log in again and like AV8TOR, it takes me back to the profile page on login. Frustrated to say the least. Already, I see few of the old regulars here so the new site may have already taken a toll on the user count. It seems my login has a "time to live" and goes away after a period of time.

While there is always a period of adjustment with any new site, this new software simply isn't working for me. Repeated attempts, even following instructions simply are not working. Too many more requests for updated user info may result in my permanently pulling the plug on this forum. Sad! I simply don't need the frustration in my life.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:16 PM
thepamster

Hang in there TruckRacer. There are only a few guys on this site whos opinion about big planes matters to me and you are one of them.
There has been progress here this week, slow yes, but progress none the less.
I know I can still read your posts over at FG but hate to see anyone here who's knowledge I value leave.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Truckracer

Thanks for the positive comments. Maybe I just need to take an extended vacation and come back when its all fixed?!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:40 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Thanks for the positive comments. Maybe I just need to take an extended vacation and come back when its all fixed?!
I was thinking the same thing, but if I take a year off, I probably won't remember to come back. LOL

They really need to get these problems fixed. I feel if they weren't completely ready, they should have waited to make the change.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:04 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

I will give it a few more days before pulling the plug.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:15 AM
Truckracer

I'm adjusting and am less frustrated today. I sense this is a case "it is what it is".
Old 08-15-2013, 11:13 AM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Truckracer
I'm adjusting and am less frustrated today. I sense this is a case "it is what it is".
But its not what it Could be and it doesnt Have to be this way.... does it RCU?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Truckracer

I've stayed logged in for over 24 hours now! Other tasks have become more reliable, etc. I have to admit, things are improving.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:02 AM
av8tor1977

Yes, I am staying logged in properly now. Don't particularly like the new format, but I'll get used to it...

AV8TOR
Old 08-17-2013, 12:06 AM
av8tor1977

This is probably an unanticipated problem. (Well, maybe not...)

When you do a search on Google or Yahoo, and it finds something in RCU, the links are no longer valid. Dead ends...

AV8TOR
Old 08-17-2013, 04:06 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to post this in the main problems area
Old 08-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Truckracer

Where is the main problems area? Early on there were links posted, but now gone. Maybe I'm blind but I have looked around and can't find an area to post problems, etc.

Edit: OK, at the top of the page in green, there are two links: the first to a FAQ and a second to report problems. But the words "here" seem to be in blue and simply do not show on my screen unless I really look hard to see them. I read that heading several times and never saw the words here. But I'm sure its my fault they chose a color that was hard to see on the green background.

Overall the whole system is working better as each day passes though.

Last edited by Truckracer; 08-17-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:10 AM
thepamster

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...orum-here.html
Old 08-17-2013, 10:12 AM
thepamster

Actually it is the other way around. The first link is to report problems and the second is a FAQ.
I agree it is hard to see the blue in the green background. Black or red might have been better.
Glad to see you sticking around Truckracer.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:18 AM
thepamster

I was wondering where the locaton listing of posters were, as in where they live, as I always like to know where people are from. Earlier posts had no location but my last one does.
Now if they would just add the scoring again.
I am sure that they have top men working on it right now. Top Men. LOL.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Truckracer

Pamster, you are correct on the order. I realized that after I wrote it but was too lazy to make the correction. Dang ..... I should have been a RCU programmer .... close counts. I hope they see the humor in that!

Yes, I miss the scores also. It did reward one a bit for all the time it took to answer questions, etc.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:41 AM
thepamster

Crap. The poster's location is missing again. I wonder why. Perhaps I should go to the "Link" myself. I already posted there about the scores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.