Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Performance Phantom f4 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Performance Phantom f4 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Performance Phantom f4 Build

I met the designer of this model, Eric Baugher at Jets over Kentucky a few years ago. Eric was a huge F4 fan as am I.
He designed this model in 1987 around the Dynamax with an OS 77 DF motor. It is basically a pattern ship that has the looks of the Phantom.
I plan to install a Wren 44 Gold with either a straight pipe or I will move the motor back go without a pipe.
I build slow so be patient.

I bought the plans from Flying models and scanned them and then had the parts laser cut. The foam cores were cut by flying foam.com

I made up my 1/16" balsa skins and have cut them to size.
I borrowed a friends Vacuum bagging setup which is my next step.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-18 08.26.14.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1922446  
Old 09-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Misha Javornik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I build this jet about 12 years ago and it flew great on a dinamax. Wouldnt mind building another could you tell me who cut the lazer parts and how much it cost.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric was a great builder and flier. I miss him so much, we were friends first , coworkers at AAI and he was my boss at GPA and was in my wedding over a twenty five year span. I don't think many people ever built this plane. I was making a glass fuse for one 20 years ago and the plug got damaged before we could finish it. I got a copy of his original plans and will build one someday. His BVM F-4 is amazing and will probably never get flown. We are think of donating it to the Navel Academy. His original performance Phantom is hanging as you enter GPA hobbies his store now owned by the family. I'll take a picture of the two planes and post them here over the weekend.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:42 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts

Ron I enjoyed talking to Eric. I remember looking out at the flightline that year at JOK and I saw this white Bandit flying with the Red, Blue and Yellow lightening Bolt on the side and realized it was Eric.
When he finished flying we got to talking about EDF's and Phantoms and talked for a good hour about the hobby and the direction it had taken.
I've attached a side view image for those that are not familiar with this model.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Phantom.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1923077   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4_Small.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	1923078  
Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, Eric and I converted his to EDF during the Liberty Bell rally about six years ago. His was the first DF plane I saw fly that was not lumbering around in the sky. We met on the pattern circut here in Md. and PGRC was having the first Mid Atlantic jet rally when I saw it fly for the first time. We would take it out every year and fly it for the day just to say we had. This makes me want to build mine.