Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Slide-out Power Module

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Slide-out Power Module

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:24 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slide-out Power Module

I am really looking for a way to solve an issue with a glow to electric conversion. I purchased a Sportsman Aviation Waco 60 model and will be powering it with an electric system. As with most conversions, there is no battery access hatch on the glow model so one has to be fabricated.

The Waco has no real good place to put an access hatch up front - gear on the bottom and wing on top. So I was considering a pull out module that contained the motor, ESC and battery. The module would slide into the front of the model and "lock" (screws or latch) into the firewall. The old AirCore models had a system like this for smaller airplanes.

This is a large model that will have a motor compared to a .91 four stroke glow engine. What are the problems I might have with the "slide out
module" for a model this size? Any other suggestions?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Lnewqban

Originally Posted by iFLYrc_Vic
............ What are the problems I might have with the "slide out
module" for a model this size? Any other suggestions?
Far from your project regarding size and materials, but you may find some ideas here:
http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-swa...-power-pod-kit
Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 PM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by Lnewqban
Far from your project regarding size and materials, but you may find some ideas here:
http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-swa...-power-pod-kit
Thanks, that shows a very basic application of the concept I am thinking of. My firewall will extend beyond the side walls to allow some "meat" for attachment to the existing firewall. The battery will be installed inside the pod along with the ESC. The swappable-power-pod does give me some visual idea of what I am thinking of initially.

Thanks for the link.
Vic

BTW - you can follow my progress on my web site forum under Electric Powered Planes - Waco 60
http://iflyrc.hypermart.net/Y2/cgi-bin/Yabb2/YaBB.pl
Old 10-19-2013, 10:03 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the tank and throttle servo should be on one piece of plywood or box, whichever you choose. For the electric part, the motor/battery and speed control should be on a similar piece with the same bolt pattern on the module. The receiver should be near the module and accessible. I thought the Aircore modules were pretty slick too. You would need some pretty hefty bolts with a .90 size.