Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

A little help, please!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

A little help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help, please!

I dropped my Modeltech 3Demon on to the side of my work table and broke the left lower rear fuze "stringer". One of the problems is the aircraft is covered with "Chinakote" and I have no clue when I could obtain matching covering.

Does anyone have a technique for repairing this damage without cutting away the covering? I am somewhat familiar with the technique of injecting water into a dent and then heating it; however, this damage is far beyond that method.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions and responses. Please excuse the photo quality. I just cannot seem to get a satisfactory pic of the damaged area. Regards to all!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	046.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	1932625   Click image for larger version

Name:	045.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	1932626  

Last edited by Bob Yeager; 10-24-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:03 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carefully cut the covering along the corner of the broken stringer length wise, root to tip. Gently peel from the wood, use pin, exacto knife blade tip to push, pull, move pieces back to proper position. Use thin zap to glue them back but make sure the fumes can get out so it does not fog the covering. Glue piece of balsa under broken piece. When you are done with the surgery, get the covering back as close as you can, then use good quality clear packing tape to cover the open seam. I have even used the tape to give me enough room to pull the covering so it touches and the seam is almost gone.

Another idea is to make another trim color to cover the area and put it on both wings?

Buzz/
Old 10-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Bob Yeager

Thank you, Buzz. This is exactly what I was looking for. I made an error when I called the fuze side componet a "Spar". It is actually one of the lower/left side structure "sticks". I cannot seem to come up with the correct terminology for this componet.

In any event, I think that if I make a cut something like this: |___________| on the forward "stick", damaged "stick",and the rear sheeting I could then raise the covering and reposition/glue the damaged "stick", then use the packing tape. It's worth a try anyhow. Thank you so much for your advice and assistance.

Best Regards,
Bob
Old 10-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Bob Yeager

Buzz,

This is a rough idea of what I was taking about:

Name:	046.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1932849  
Old 10-26-2013, 05:55 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks about right to me. make the smallest cut you can to get what you need. Small piece of balsa and you are back in business. You can iron and even heat gun the packing tape.

Buzz.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:53 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You'll probably need to cut a flap on the bottom too. As long as you can iron it back onto good wood, the seams shouldn't be a problem. A drop of thin CA will seal the seam edges so that exhaust residue doesn't wick under and lift them.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:35 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Longeron...that is the name of the "stick", lol. You've got some good repair recommendations. Might still use water to get the balsa to reshape itself close to original form before hitting it with CA.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Bob Yeager

I decided to cut the flap on the bottom vs. the side. I used the tip of my finger to push the longeron back into shape (more or less), and then hit it with CA. Unfortunatley, maukaonyx's suggestion regarding the water arrived a little late. I was unable to reiron the covering back on to the longerons, so I pulled it as tight as I could and used a small amount of CA on the edges. Everything went pretty well untill I applied the packing tape. It would have looked better if I had attempted to shrink the covering prior to applying the tape, but I have a habit of flooling with something untill I have a real mess, so opted to leave it alone. Since I have decided not to enter the plane in next years Scale Masters, the repair will do. It actuall looks better from the side than it does from the bottom.

Many thanks to all who viewed the thread,and a special thanks to Buzz, jester, and maukaonyx fot their suggestions and contributions. A special thanks to maukaonyx for the terminology help. I simply could not come upwith the correct term. I will never forget "longeron" now!

Thanks again, and Best Regards!

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	664.4 KB
ID:	1934381   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	605.5 KB
ID:	1934382