Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

crawler/trail Rc truck help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Cool_cris27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default crawler/trail Rc truck help.

Ok so i want to get a crawler / trail truck kind of thing. For example like the axial sxc Honcho kind of truck. I want buy something of that nature in the 300-360 US Dollar range Without the battery. what are some good trucks? should I just get the honcho? If so what battery and charger should i use for your recommended truck would be great thanks.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

honcho is a pretty good truck if you like how it looks. I only wish I waited to get mine till the dingo became a kit other then that can't say I ever regretted getting it cause it is a good kit.

I went kit to use my own electronics, and to make mods to it while building (like putting in a waterproof radio box, and a XL-5 blue ESC for waterproof, with a waterproof servo)
Battery you can get one off hobbypartz.com, or hobbyking. Personally I use cheaper Turnigy 3300mah lipos I sealed up with liquid tape(not waterproof but very water resistant for mild dampness), or a old 5000mah stick pack if I know my RC will get wet(that I completely sealed)
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html charger couploe people on the board have used this one for awhile, and yet to hear a complaint

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 11-25-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:13 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cant go wrong with the axial...whether you get the honcho, dingo or wraith. Id stay away from the ridgecrest...they had some quality issues with those.

There are a couple other options in that price range, but the SCX10 and Wraith chassis are pretty dang awesome. They are good out of the box, and have huge amounts of customization options.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Cool_cris27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what servos that are water proof should i use? that arent really expensive.by adding water proof servos can i bring this thing in the mud? if so what else do i need to do???
Old 11-25-2013, 07:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

hmm servo I used was a traxxas servo (2070 I think). Its not that good of a servo it was just more along I had it sitting on my desk, and needed a servo to use at the time of assembly type of thing.

basically to run in mud you need to waterproof it. Depending on skill level there are various ways to do that, and guides online.

Just note after running its a pain to clean if in mud
you also would have to use something like WD40 on all metal parts or they will rust.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:02 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool_cris27
what servos that are water proof should i use? that arent really expensive.by adding water proof servos can i bring this thing in the mud? if so what else do i need to do???
traxxas 2075 blue waterproof servos are used by many.
most servos you can make "water resistant" just by using something like liquid electrical tape on the seams of the servo's case. That and a dab of thick grease behind the servo arm.

NO truck is "waterproof". Running your rc in water will mean extra work. You can pack the axles with grease to cut down on the water that gets in, this will help keep the ball bearings and diff gears from rusting. same goes for the trans.
As syco mentioned, WD40 after running helps to.
Traxxas blue xl-5 ESC's on ebay often for $30-$45.
Brushed motors can run in water....just have to oil the bearings afterwards.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
traxxas 2075 blue waterproof servos are used by many.
most servos you can make "water resistant" just by using something like liquid electrical tape on the seams of the servo's case. That and a dab of thick grease behind the servo arm.

NO truck is "waterproof". Running your rc in water will mean extra work. You can pack the axles with grease to cut down on the water that gets in, this will help keep the ball bearings and diff gears from rusting. same goes for the trans.
As syco mentioned, WD40 after running helps to.
Traxxas blue xl-5 ESC's on ebay often for $30-$45.
Brushed motors can run in water....just have to oil the bearings afterwards.
I almost recommend getting a 2nd cheaper RC for wet use though that you don't have to care about as much.
Like for example for wet use I use my HPI wheely King as its is a cheaper truck, and it has plastic bushings throughout so I only really have to worry about the screws
Old 11-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SCX10 is a great choice. I have a Honcho myself, which I am slowly upgrading. Very capable rig.

The servo to use is the Savox waterproof one with 200oz-in (SW0231?)...always use a BEC in any kind of crawler/scaler, ALWAYS.

I recommend a good brushed motor and ESC... Here's a cheap (waterproof, brushed or brushless) esc... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...1-10-Sport-ESC
And the best bang for buck motor around, IMO... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tric-Motor-35T

With that setup you'll want to use a 15t pinion, or thereabouts on 2S.

Don't forget the BEC (use a Castle 10A one). If you change ESC, don't forget the key settings you need to enjoy a scaler. You need a STRONG drag brake, which is always on, and the ability to instantly go from forward to reverse without a brake.