Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

UMX Radian - The Ultra Micro Glider

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

UMX Radian - The Ultra Micro Glider

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:44 PM
GBLynden

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default UMX Radian - The Ultra Micro Glider

Hey guys!

I finally got to put together an unboxing, maiden flight, and flight review video for the UMX Radian RC power glider. I hope those of you that have not purchased this plane yet will benefit from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAZxL0WZM_4 Here are my Unboxing, Maiden and Review Notes:

Cons:
- Fragile
- Not easily transportable like previous UMX planes
- Brushed motor

Pros
- Handles stiff and swirling winds pretty well
- Good slow speed handling
- Performs loops well
- Good flight times
- Fun
Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 PM
phillipmorris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice intro to the micro, clear video.

My first flights in briskly wind, handled rather well, but as things picked up in stronger gusts my second flight treed. Fortunately worked loose and dropped near unscathed. Light fix on tail used available packing tape from shipping box.

Have over dozen flights with no complaints.

See in future how well mine holds up. Have several batteries that I charge in a multi charger, can fly as long as I wish with zero waiting. Should be a fun flyer!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:27 PM
GBLynden

Thank you Philip!

Here is a look at a "Flight and Glide" from 200 Feet in the air with this little glider since my first video didn't show any glide lol

http://youtu.be/l26_vF_AoaA I have decided to keep it out of the winds as much as possible to make it last longer for myself. I am thinking that it will help with wear and tear.

GB
Old 04-28-2014, 03:32 PM
GBLynden

I made another "Flight and glide" video, but this time it was from a height of about 350 feet instead of only 200. This video also includes some nice wide angle looks at this plane in the air:

http://youtu.be/ccUsHX8vvQQ
Old 05-23-2014, 06:30 PM
twoplanekid

It's more than just a good glider with some mods to help !
Discussion
E-Flite Ultra Micro Radian ** Mods **
[HR][/HR] Although the UM Radian flies fine without modifications, I am having fun trying to improve certain aspects of the Radian’s flying abilities. As I like to use the kiss method of modification and enjoy flying slow & low, my first efforts will concentrate on replacing the wing on the Radian for a slower and more stable flight

I installed the old Micro Citabria (PKZ3120) wings. I did this using a little bit of tape to secure the two wings together with a one inch overlap on both sides of the fuselage. I slid the wings on with no modification to the wing slot or cutting of tape to separate the fuselage. As the wings are a bit thicker at the overlap, they stayed in place without using the screws. The Citabria wings are not flat on the bottom and a little bit larger area with the same width the whole length. The width of the wing is the same as the Radian wing until the Radian tapers. The weight of the original
Radian wing is 12.5 grams with the 2 Citabria wings weighing a total of 8 grams. No cutting of anything! And more - see videos ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDHz61sQLQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t1B3dl9Cds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvusg8kxBTE Having fun !

Rick

Last edited by twoplanekid; 05-23-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:46 PM
GBLynden

Wow! What a fantastic yard and videos. Thank you very much for sharing

This is the highest I have taken my UMX Radian on video (I am guessing at least 500 plus feet) and I decided to keep the video shown below pretty raw. It includes some pretty funny parts that show the interaction between my camera woman and myself:

http://youtu.be/-OdrNSpeX6g
Old 06-05-2014, 06:57 PM
slowflyguy

Default Nice Wing Modification

Originally Posted by twoplanekid
It's more than just a good glider with some mods to help !
Discussion
E-Flite Ultra Micro Radian ** Mods **

ng to improve certain aspects of the Radian’s flying abilities. As I like to use the kiss method of modification and enjoy flying slow & low, my first efforts will concentrate on replacing the wing on the Radian for a slower and more stable flight

I installed the old Micro Citabria (PKZ3120) wings. I did this using a little bit of tape to secure the two wings together with a one inch overlap on both sides of the fuselage. I slid the wings on with no modification to the wing slot or cutting of tape to separate the fuselage. As the wings are a bit thicker at the overlap, they stayed in place without using the screws. The Citabria wings are not flat on the bottom and a little bit larger area with the same width the whole length. The width of the wing is the same as the Radian wing until the Radian tapers. The weight of the original
Radian wing is 12.5 grams with the 2 Citabria wings weighing a total of 8 grams. No cutting of anything! And more - see videos ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDHz61sQLQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t1B3dl9Cds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvusg8kxBTE Having fun !

Rick
Hi Rick:

I too like to fly low and slow. I really enjoyed your posts and videos. Would you be kind enough to tell me what you used on the tops of the wings and over the fuselage for the support?

Thank you so much,

Art ( [email protected] )
Old 06-05-2014, 07:00 PM
slowflyguy

Hi Rick:

i too enjoy flying low and slow. Could you please tell me what you used for the support that attaches the two wings and goes over the top of the fuselage?

Thanks for your help, Art
Old 06-06-2014, 03:28 AM
twoplanekid

I use three Citabria wings. The third Citabria wing is cut to 1/2 width mounted upside down, leading edge forward. The length of the wing is unchanged. I secure it with a little tape. If left uncut, it tends to lessen control and is too heavy. The 1/2 cut seems to add some lift, helps with control, less weight and braces the wings for loops.

Also, please try using the Post-it TABS. The tabs on the front of the main wing do help and an trying winglets. The taps should not be used in much wind or when soaring as they only help to provide lift at slow speeds under power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwi7M-U5Ltg

Last edited by twoplanekid; 06-06-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:11 PM
docflash

could you post a picture or three of your mod? i'm not sure where the post-it tabs you mentioned attach.

thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:02 AM
twoplanekid

This is the current position of the tabs with some on the tip of the wing not shown in this picture. Always trying new placement of the tabs for better performance. These tabs are bent downward, not straight. I use the sticky part of the tab to secure it to the wing to make it easy to remove and try something different.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	krueger.jpg
Views:	2735
Size:	636.0 KB
ID:	2010564  

Last edited by twoplanekid; 07-02-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:20 PM
GBLynden

Thanks again for sharing your videos in here as well as the latest picture. Sharing is caring
Old 08-02-2014, 08:17 AM
comptrguru

Has anyone done a motor change out yet? Maybe a vid? I'm going to do it this morning. Any help would be appreciated. It doesn't look easy.

I was correct. It's not easy at all. In fact, the motor system is very poorly designed. With some careful scraping and cutting with a spade exacto blade, you have to get all the white silicon from the top of the flanges of the gear box. Then a carefully orchestrated tug or two lifting the motor straight up from thee fuze. You must be very, very careful in how you hold the fuze. It would be easy to crush or break the fuze. Cut the motor free from the mount and slide it out. Be careful handling the gear box not to knock off the bits of foam on the underside of the gearbox. That would disturb and probably change the built in right and down thrust built into the 'motor mounts'. I would suggest a bit of silicone tub seal or even hot melt on the top side of the flanges themselves. I'd use a toothpick to apply. If you put any adhesive on the bottom side of the flanges, you won't be able to change the motor again.

The above represents a huge engineering flaw. These brushed motors are only designed for a 4-5 hour life. Basically, that turns this plane into a piece of junk after 4-5 hours. A $90 piece of junk. As it turns out, mine is a piece of junk out of the box. I bought from a friend thinking I could easily fix. Bought the new motor. It turns out that wasn't the issue. The ESC was bad from the factory, apparently. In all, I would say that this aircraft isn't worth any where near the sales price. Anybody know of a good, inexpensive brushless conversion for the AS-3X board? I've got a 10 gm. motor I could drop in with a real firewall mount.

Addendum: The original motor has a dead short from the factory. That's what took out the ESC. One other complaint. The wing decals on this plane look as if a 6 year old applied them. The absolute worst bubbles I've ever seen on any airplane, factory applied or everyday flyer applied.

For shame Eflite and Horizon for selling one of the worst engineered aircraft I've seen in my over 60 years of modeling!! $90 of trash. I've been a promoter and flyer of both in the past. Never again.

Last edited by comptrguru; 08-02-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:41 PM
twoplanekid

Like everything these days, it's the luck of the draw whether you get one that last forever of fails after little use. I use NAPA silicone sealant to secure the motor. I must have close to 40 hours of flight time on one Radian motor that would move some in the mount but fly fine. The wing decals don't bother me as I change the wing to my own design. By the way, here is a video of how I do it.

Many have asked me to show how to do the Mod C. This short video explains how simple it is to change the flying characteristics of the original UMX Radian from a fast high flyer to a good slow flyer. I still have some old Citabria wings in stock and have asked Horizon to produce a compatible wing or more old Citabria wings.

I forgot to mention in the video that you can bend the tabs to the desired direction or shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sXTsMXxIaY

Last edited by twoplanekid; 08-02-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:24 PM
GBLynden

Very cool video!

The video below shows the first "Flight and glide" video I have made post-crash with my Ultra Micro Radian onto my neighbor's roof. The cause is unknown, but after I crashed my UMX Pitts on video the cause seemed similar. I put fresh batteries in my DX6i and I haven't had a problem since with any of my planes.

http://youtu.be/BscaoTsfZSk
Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 PM
ken bartlett

I live in south florida and i fly mostly small powered gliders. I have a micro radion and am very pleased with it. I normally fly about 9am because the wind is lighter then. I power up my radian for about 15 seconds and then cut the power and hunt for a thermal. The early morning thermals are usually gentle but the radian rides them and i get a 15 minute glide. I have been flying rc since 1960 the radian is the best small plane i have ever had. I have read that some people think it is flimsly. There is a difference between flimsly and light. The radian is not flimsly. It has carbon rods on the wing and tail. Some complain about the brushed motor but i have had no problem with mine. I have been flying my radian over 3 months. I am sure that it will wear out eventually. When that time comes i will hang it up and unpack the other radian that i have and fly it for a long time. Perhaps a small bushless motor that would be right for the radian may come along. I think e-flight came out with a fantastic product with the umx radian! ... Regards to everyone.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:06 PM
GBLynden

Thanks for posting this Ken! I have had mine for nearly a year now and even after a BAD crash onto a hot roof late last summer it still flies really well.

I can't wait for summer weather to come back around because this will once again be my go to summer flier

GB
Old 02-10-2015, 01:52 AM
Foreverflying

Has anyone measured the thrust on the UMX Radian? I have in mind a larger wing, and need to know if it can handle the weight.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 02-16-2015, 07:39 AM
ken bartlett

More thoughts on the micro Radian. I had thought that when the motor on mine wears out that I would hang it up start flying my spare one that I have in the box. There is another way to fly the Radian.......Use a micro hi-start. E-flight's other micro glider, the UMX 21 comes with a high start. I saw one at my hobby shop and it looked like 1/16 rubber and a roll of thread. I also saw a video of that model using that hi-start. It worked great. You might be able to order that hi-start from E-Flight or you could make one if you can find 1/16 strip rubber like the free flight modelers use. I have two other small gliders that I designed and I use 3/16 rubber for my high start. There is still another way to fly the Radian......hand tow. Back in my free-flight days I hand towed small gliders. I remember the Thermic Trooper from Jetco Models. It was about the same size as the Micro Radian. All you need is some string and a helper. Put a small hook on your Radian , have your helper hold the model and run into the wind. It works great. Another thought......I e-mailed Horizon and asked if they might ever bring out a Micro Radian with a brushless motor. I received a quick reply. They said they would have an answer for me in 3 to 5 days. Maybe something is in the works. Have you seen the "Whipit" from Horizon? It will be available in May. It is a small pure glider and it looks fantastic. I have pre ordered one and I cant wait to receive it. Look at Horizon's web site and you can see a video of it flying. I think it will be another winner for Horizon........Happy thermals for everyone.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:24 PM
GBLynden

This is the updated version of my "Visibility Enhancements" video I made back in May shortly after this E-flite UMX Radian RC Glider came out. The changes I have made since then was to use all of the black strips that came with this plane and add green and orange Sharpie ink to this plane. The key for the best result on this foam is to use the liquid Sharpie ink and NOT the traditional style marker. The green didn't turn out as well as it could have as a result of previous attempts with the traditional style Sharpie.

https://youtu.be/mao8KmvL190
Old 04-06-2015, 01:23 AM
doublebuck

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the info-I love that glider too! Hey, the new UMX Whipit has a jack in the back of the receiver box that is a jack for a motor and gear like the setup from the mini-radian. I talked to a company rep and he said you could easily mod the Whipit into a motor glider if you are handicapped. Have you heard of someone doing this?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-12-2015, 05:57 PM
ken bartlett

Hello Ron. Do you have a Whipit already? I pre-ordered one from Horizon and was told it would be available in May. I can hardly wait for mine to arrive.... I really love small gliders. I am sure you could put a motor on the Whipit but I am thinking that adding a motor and speed control up front might make the plane nose heavy. I plan to fly my Whipit as a pure glider' . Years ago I flew free flight hand launched gliders in competition. It took a pretty hefty launch and I am not sure my arm is what it used to be. If I have trouble throwing the Whipit I will do what a lot of old free flight glider modelers do. Use a catapolt launch. A wooden dowel about 8 inches long with 3/16 rubber on the end. I have not tried it but I have read that they have great launches. I have a small slope in my area and I will try that. From the videos and early reports on the Whipit it is a state of the art glider. I have fantastic thermal activity in my area. I am thinking I could take my Whipit out on a good day and just with a gentle toss catch a thermal. I have a Hobby Zone Champ and it thermals beautifully . My next small glider will be a "Thermic Trooper" . It is an old model from the 50's with a 28inch wing span You can order one from Penn Valley Hobby Center. I am going to put a small brushless motor with a folding prop on it............Happy thermals to you Ken..
Old 04-13-2015, 12:08 AM
doublebuck

Originally Posted by ken bartlett
Hello Ron. Do you have a Whipit already? I pre-ordered one from Horizon and was told it would be available in May. I can hardly wait for mine to arrive.... I really love small gliders. I am sure you could put a motor on the Whipit but I am thinking that adding a motor and speed control up front might make the plane nose heavy. I plan to fly my Whipit as a pure glider' . Years ago I flew free flight hand launched gliders in competition. It took a pretty hefty launch and I am not sure my arm is what it used to be. If I have trouble throwing the Whipit I will do what a lot of old free flight glider modelers do. Use a catapolt launch. A wooden dowel about 8 inches long with 3/16 rubber on the end. I have not tried it but I have read that they have great launches. I have a small slope in my area and I will try that. From the videos and early reports on the Whipit it is a state of the art glider. I have fantastic thermal activity in my area. I am thinking I could take my Whipit out on a good day and just with a gentle toss catch a thermal. I have a Hobby Zone Champ and it thermals beautifully . My next small glider will be a "Thermic Trooper" . It is an old model from the 50's with a 28inch wing span You can order one from Penn Valley Hobby Center. I am going to put a small brushless motor with a folding prop on it............Happy thermals to you Ken..
Hi Ken,
Thanks for writing to me. First of all I do not have a Whipit but I have a hunch I might get one soon. The receiver in the Whipit has a small black box on the rear of the receiver module. I asked a company rep if that small black box was a jack for the motor and gear box with folder (used by the UMX Radian) like I modified for the UMX ASK-21 and he said yes! I have quite a few gliders, a Calypso, A Sky Scout, Phoenix 1600, a Smart K from Amazon, a UMX Radian, and a Yuki Pilatus B4 from Value Hobby. Those small gliders are so convient-just drop them in the car with the HiTech charger and off we go! The wife says I have too many now! I am itching to try to motorize the Whipit as I think it would be interesting. I have not been in competition as you have but have been glider and electric CD over many years until old man cancer made me stay home for a few years. But I am back now. Two of the most "Thermal Happy" electric gliders are the Sky Scout (without ailerons) and the HZ Champ but the UMX Radian is the best so far. Thanks for the info on Penn Valley. We used to go to the KRC electric meet a few years ago and that shop is an old timer's paradise. Our club field opens at 9:30 AM so thats when I tryout the morning thermals too. I am in E. Hartford, CT.and am really glad Spring has sprung!

Happy Thermals,
Ron

Last edited by doublebuck; 04-13-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:34 PM
ken bartlett

Default whipit

Hello everyone who has ordered a Whipit from Horizon. I e-mailed them today and they now say the Whipit should be available by mid June. I am flying several powered mini gliders but I am ready for my Whipit. I want my Whipit! Ken
Old 05-14-2015, 09:33 AM
ken bartlett

Hello everyone who has ordered a Whipit. In spite if being told by Horizon that they would not be available until mid June, mine arrived yesterday. I mounted the wing with 4 screws and it was ready to fly but it was too windy and it did not slow down even at sunset. This morning I went to my field and the wind was 4 mph. I made a couple of launches and realized that I had a problem........15 months ago I had surgery on my right shoulder and I thought I had recovered but I could not throw the Whipit without pain......A discus launch did not work either. I got dizzy. I suppose that is what happens to old coots like me. I have launched many hand launched in the past but those days are over. I am still going to fly my Whipit with a micro hi-start made from 1/8 inch rubber and a length of light fishing line. There are a few slopes even in south Florida. I found one 4 miles south of my location. I am sure a Whipit would fly on a slope. I have slope soared at Torrey Pines, California and at Nags Head North Carolina . It is great fun. The Whipit is a micro engineered masterpiece. I can see that it has great potential. I hope everyone has good luck with their Whipits. Happy thermals to everyone..........Ken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.