Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:18 PM
randy19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help

I have a new ecx revenge Etype. I was running it last week and it gave up. The motor and speed controller were very hot. I thought dead battery, let it cool and put in fresh. No go. All it did was twitch when throttle applied. The esc will not beep. Called tech. Diagnosis, esc. Replaced no go. Motor will turn,no power. New Esc not beeping..wiring and Motor gets hot fast. HELP
Old 06-04-2014, 09:19 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motor and ESC getting "very hot" is usually not good. Something may have fried. But we need a little more info, your details were a little sketchy.
I looked up the ECX Revenge type E. So it looks like you have a Fuse brushless system. From the looks of the pics I saw, it looks like your motor wires use the same connectors as the ones on my HobbyWing motor. I had one of the three bullet connectors become loose, not a solid connection. It would cause the motor to twitch or stutter but not run. I had to squeeze the female end with pliers in order for the male end to make decent contact enough for it to run. But it eventually started getting too hot, all that juice going thru a small contact area, so I ended up just replacing the whole bullet connector. Runs fine now. So check each of the three motor wires and see if you find any of them are loose. It should take some force to connect them. Juct check each one and the loose one should be easy to determine.

As for the motor and ESC getting "very hot", what is "very hot"? How long can you rest your finger on it? If you can lay your finger on it for 2-3sec, it's probably not too bad, but if you can only touch it for 1sec and you go "yeow", it IS too hot. Get yourself an IR thermometer so you can monitor your motor and ESC temps. It's the best way to keep your system from burning up from either over-gearing, or over-stressing it by running it in tall grass. A brushless motor should never get over 180F, and best to keep it under or around 150F. If you live in an area where it is usually very warm outside (Arizona, Texas) you may need to get a "fan-sink" for the motor. But usually you gear the car lower to reduce the temps by using a smaller pinion gear. The other thing that will cause your system to over-heat is bearings gone bad. ANY bearing in the drive train that causes drag can cause the motor to get hotter than normal, and a 4wd buggy has lots of them, so keep an eye on them and replace when needed.

My 4wd truggy has fourteen bearings: two on each wheel, and two on each of three differentials. But the wheel bearings take the most abuse, and get the dirtiest. I'll check my bearings before and after every race day, or about every couple weeks of fun-running, depending on conditions. I remove the rubber bearing seals and blast 'em out with motor spray and a toothbrush. Once cleaned, I check the feel of the bearing. Dry, it will feel a little rough, but a couple drops of oil should make it butter smooth again. If not, it's done, toss it, and replace it.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:47 PM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what size battery are you using?
Old 06-05-2014, 01:02 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have severely overheated a brushless motor and it would still run. It would get really hot really quick but it would still run. My guess is a connection problem, either in the connectors as EXT2Rob suggested or inside the motor itself. Possibly a small short in the windings as well.

What at I would like to know is the condition of the vehicle and the conditions it was being run in when this initially occurred. Is the truck bone stock or was the gearing changed? Bigger tires? What was it being run on, street, grass, mud?