Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

8x8 crawler

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 04:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 8x8 crawler

exceed figured if people liked the mad torque 6x6...why not add yet another axle to the mad torque?

the bed on this one is kinda cool.

Front and rear axles are setup kinda funny, but im sure it could be improved real easy.

I have 2 custom trucks based on the mad torque...my 1/7 hummer and 1/7 dually truck, and ive had another mad torque in the past. They are obviously not on the same level as a Axial, but I have beat on the hummer pretty hard and I must say the mad torque holds up really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOMH2MkyBVQ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	03C25-MT-8X8-Black-RTR-24G-3.jpg
Views:	2871
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	2059968   Click image for larger version

Name:	03C25-MT-8X8-Black-RTR-24G-4.jpg
Views:	2333
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	2059969  

Last edited by nitrosportsandrunner; 01-02-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:57 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I just got to thinking about the pulling power that truck could have.

with stock motors and a 2s lipo battery, my hummer can drag 40 pounds on pavement. If I ever get around to buying a Outcry ESC and run a 3s Im sure it could do 50 pounds.

With 4 more wheels and 2 more motors that truck should have some grunt. It is odd their site says the ESCs are rated for 6-7cell NIMH ONLY...ive had a 2s lipo in my hummer for a year without issue. Doesn't even get warm really. And that is even with the 55 turn motors it has now (stock are 60t)

Imagine that truck with motors running on 3s....It would be able to pull a good deal of weight.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:53 PM
MailManX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would be fun to mod the bed so it would tilt with a switch from the TX.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:08 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Argh.... It's not very nice on the eyes....and the chassis looks like it's been slapped together with existing parts. And then the anti squat angles....but, all in all I bet it would be fun to bash around
Old 01-16-2015, 08:03 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by phmaximus
Argh.... It's not very nice on the eyes....and the chassis looks like it's been slapped together with existing parts. And then the anti squat angles....but, all in all I bet it would be fun to bash around
agreed, the went about making it as easy as possible (3 chassis plates) and the front/rear most axles have a odd linkage angle. But imagine taking that truck and making your own ladder chassis for it!

The mad torque has a place in my heart...my big H2 and Big Red are both mad torques with modded chassis/suspension and bodies. With the number of hours I have spent driving these trucks, I can honestly say they are tough and worth what they cost.

Building a 8x8 with mostly axial parts would cost well over $500....I think the mad torque 8x8 is like $350 RTR. It may be ugly, but it would also be easy to mod and give it a new chassis.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:27 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
agreed, the went about making it as easy as possible (3 chassis plates) and the front/rear most axles have a odd linkage angle. But imagine taking that truck and making your own ladder chassis for it!

The mad torque has a place in my heart...my big H2 and Big Red are both mad torques with modded chassis/suspension and bodies. With the number of hours I have spent driving these trucks, I can honestly say they are tough and worth what they cost.

Building a 8x8 with mostly axial parts would cost well over $500....I think the mad torque 8x8 is like $350 RTR. It may be ugly, but it would also be easy to mod and give it a new chassis.
yes and no on the axial 8X8
2 dingo kits would set you back $500 that is true, but you can sell off the chassis rail kits for $30 a pop to recoup $60 then you could also sell off a transmission for $25 or so (prices are last I looked about a year ago) so the price is now around $420.
Note you would still need to make the 2 axles have input, and output drive shafts to drive the front and rear axle though. Will say from working on a shaft driven 6wd vehicle its not easy as the last axle likes to disconnect from the middle one.

But onto the vehicle the thread is about... it looks pretty interesting except that front cab looks like a piece of crap.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:36 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

yeh, the cab is ugly. It could look a bit better, but because the truck has massive amounts of flex, they have to have it setup really high. But if you changed the shocks to upright position, or better yet made them droop then at least the wheels would be closer to the body. The angle on the front suspension links is just silly. But, it is cheaper than buying 2 regular mad torque trucks.
But if I could afford one, I would make a ladder chassis, with shocks mounted upright to reduce flex and then try to build a body for it.

Building custom stuff with MOA axles is almost cheating...it is easier than working with shaft driven axles. No driveshaft angles to worry about, no torque twist to think about and setting the wheel base involves just linkage length.

also, do the dingo kits include motor/esc?

both of my mad torque trucks I bought used, one was only $70 and the other was like $120. They are no axial, but they are tons of fun and the size adds a extra bit of enjoyment. Im looking at Big Red right now with its dually rear axle and plow...total truck length is about 34''. It is impressive looking for something that cost me only $200 to build.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

no they don't have motor and ESC

anyways yea the driveshaft angles are a pain to work with, and then the decoupling of the rears if the 2 get to far apart(my biggest gripe).

Agree using MOA axles on customs is cheating you dirty dirty cheater
Old 01-17-2015, 03:12 AM
phmaximus

lol, cheater...
but seriously, I don't know..... Shaft driven crawlers have a massive advantage because every wheel is physically locked to each other. There is zero chance of a wheel unloading....
a MOA 8x8 would drive like a shaft driven 8x8 that has open centre Diffs between each axle..... This is not such a problem on 4x4 moa crawlers because there are a lot of gizmos that can mix the front and rear power... But on a 8x8 it would need one very fancy controller
Old 01-18-2015, 08:45 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

I don't use anything to combat Clod Stall on my trucks. I can see how on a full-on comp rock crawler you would want to address that issue....but for just building big truck that can drive almost anywhere for fun I don't see it as an issue. In my truck when the rear stalls, it is almost always overcome by and extra 5-10% throttle. These trucks are not fast and the motors put out some good torque for such a low cost truck.

I have considered using a pinion gear 1 tooth smaller on the rear axle.

also, the 8x8 uses 2 ESC's. If you had a radio with mixing then you could run 1 esc for the front motors and 1 esc for the rears and mix the rear's esc with like 5 or 10% more throttle.

But in the end I consider this kind of truck a cool crawler "toy". It is not even close to a scale truck, so it doesn't bother me if there is some clod stall. Granted, sometimes the clod stall does make my H2 look a bit "unscale" but my H2 is a big and fun truck that was under $200 a little clod stall doesn't bug me. There are few times the clod stall effects crawling ability but there are also a few times when it is actually an advantage.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:12 PM
phmaximus

Clod stall is not exactly what I'm talking about.... im talking about axles unloading, not stalling...
That's why it would be similar to a shaft driven 8x8 that has 3 open centre Diffs.

i just wonder how it's going to drive in situations where no all 8 wheels are touching the ground or situations where there is very little traction...id be intrested to see it it can make it up over a railway sleeper? Because the second the middle wheels lift of the ground they will spin a good 3 time faster than the driving wheels and u will loose 1/2 it's torque.

anyway, I shouldn't pick in it... It is still very cool....