Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

1/4 Scale Bleriot,engine 90/1.20

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

1/4 Scale Bleriot,engine 90/1.20

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Eindecker111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 Scale Bleriot,engine 90/1.20

Hi,

My 1/4 scale bleriot x1b is taking shape,and have come to the stage of selecting an engine.so that i can complete the front section airframe,bearers etc
The original model was powered with a Merco 91,but the written instructions say a 90 FS,but i am wondering if i could install a 1.20FS instead?,as i have a feeling that the finished model will require more nose weight up front,if i install the 90fs,but am i going to over power the model if i do this.i suppose reduced throttle on the 1.20 is one possible option!!
The finished airframe weight i have no idea yet,but the fusalage will be around 5.5 pounds,complete ish.
Wing span 103",chord 22",undercambered,if thats any help!!
Any suggestions etc,very welcome

Eindecker
Old 09-29-2003, 06:17 AM
Lucky Dog
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 1/4 Scale Bleriot,engine 90/1.20

Hello Eindecker,
I'm not expert, but I'd think that it would likely fly very scale like with the .91. However, being a little overpowered probably wouldn't hurt. I know with the 1/5 Eindecker, I have a 1.20 on mine, and a friend has a .91 on his. They both fly quite well (his more scale and on the wing), but I do have an edge in climb and speed (which speed isn't all that important when your trying to fly it scale like with these old birds). I'd think that the Bleriot is going to have more parasitic drag to worry about too. I'd go with the 1.20.

Post some pics when your done!

Good luck!

Mike
[link=http://RC Dawn Patrol Web Site]www.bealmear.com/dawn_patrol[/link]
Old 10-04-2003, 02:11 AM
Eindecker111

Mike,

Thanks mate,ive given it alot of thought,and have decided the 1.20 will do the job,and have now installed engine into aircraft,and looking good!!!
Still alot more work to be done,but pictures will be posted as soon as possible.
Many thanks again.

Eindecker
Old 10-04-2003, 07:31 PM
The PIPE

Default Check THIS Blériot out...

Dear Eindecker111:

The PIPE Here again...and at a recent OLD RHINEBECK AERODROME RC Jamboree meet (NOT this year's-about a year or two ago) some modelers from QUEBEC brought down a Blériot 11 with full blown WING WARPING control to the Rhinebeck RC meet...and some photos of it that I took are at http://www.biplanes.de/modelle_b.shtml , at my German Email buddy's BIPLANES.DE site...and especially check out the description at http://www.biplanes.de/rc_modelle_bi...mod_big_16.htm of how THIS particular model flew with its OS FS-91 Surpass four stroke engine!

Is your Blériot 11 intended to replicate one of one of the earlier, Anzani three-cylinder powered versions??? If so, you MAY want to seriously consider one of the Saito 170 three cylinder radials for a powerplant...at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_92.../tm.htm#928372 is a thread from the Glow Engines forum started by a fellow RCer here in NEW England USA (up in New Hampshire) about HIS Saito 170 three cylinder engine...and there's even a VIDEO of him running it, at either http://www.midmad.com/images/airplan...to170R3_Hi.wmv for a high speed Internet connection, or at http://www.midmad.com/images/airplan...to170R3_Lo.wmv for a "regular telephone line" style Internet hookup...either way, enjoy! Imagine how well that Québec Blériot would have flown with a Saito 170 "three jug mill" on there!

Now, I KNOW that the Saito 170 is NOT cheap...it would cost nearly £480 over in the UK these days, based on Horizon Hobby's price in US $ for the North American market...but if you COULD save up for one of these, wouldn't perhaps be worth it for your Blériot, depending on HOW scale you wish it to be (versus affordablility, of course) ??? I'll HAVE to admit it WOULD be a real "financial stretch" for me to afford one of the Saito 170s these days...but WHAT AN ENGINE to power a Blériot, Curtiss-Wright Junior, or other three-cylinder-engine powered scale subject with!

The 91 DID work for those Québec based RCers (they even made up a Wright Model B Flyer for this year's Rhinebeck event, complete with chain driven props and wing warping once more...the Supertigre 2500 two-stroke engine it had couldn't overcome the drag of the skids on the grass, though ) on their Blériot, made up from William Wylam plans, if my mind serves me right...but I'd bet a 120 single cylinder four stroke would be even BETTER than a 91-that is unless you could save up for the Saito 170 someday!

Watch that video...and enjoy!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 10-25-2004, 11:25 AM
rohang

Hi Eindecker. I just started my 1/4 scale Bleriot, Wings are framed and fuse is about 80 percent. Wings weigh 19 oz each without covering. I am planning to use a .90 4c.
Question. What are you doing for C/G? i am using the scale 7.5 degrees of incidence and am worried about ballooning. Also what are you using for wheels? I had to machine my own because i could not find any 7" spoked wheels. Post some picts. thanks
Old 10-25-2004, 11:44 AM
CliffordH
My Feedback: (9)

Hey Pipe,

Thanks for the link on the 170, I will have to go look at it. I have the 170 and am going to use it on a 1/4 scale cub. It will be a model of a J3-p, the version with the LeNape engine.

Cliff
Old 01-19-2005, 07:49 AM
rohang

Hey Eindecker, How is you Bleriot doing? Mine is getting there. wings are ready to cover tail is ready to cover. fuse,,,,well that will take till May the fuse is completly framed up. but there is a bunch of detail and stuff. I can put some photos on the forum as soon as i figure out how. the entire airplane with engine and radio is 9 pounds. i figure a little under 11 ready to takeoff. I am learning that a rear CG is ok because of the undercamber and incidence. I have sent my drawings to a guy that is the associate professor of aerospace engineering to determind how much command control I will have left with my CG. Kinda neat, he is going to make my Bleriot the mechanics class project. what are you using for wheels.