Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jets in the Seattle area?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jets in the Seattle area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:16 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Jets in the Seattle area?

My wife and I will be visiting with the thought of moving there in a few years. When I look at the ama website almost all the sites say no turbines. In fact I only see that do allow jets: Emerald City and Sanderson.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks guys

Dave
Old 08-07-2015, 09:31 PM
Molar mender

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your in town at the end of the month, Jets Over Whidbey is the annual jet event for the area. Website is http://www.jetsoverwhidbey.com/Jets_...ey_-_Home.html

Roy
Old 08-09-2015, 11:18 AM
ozief16

Roy,

Thanks for the data. I'm actually going to be there this week.

Can you fly off Whibey on weekends or is this a once a year deal?

Dave
Old 08-09-2015, 11:58 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Dave, while in the Seattle area make sure you go to the Flying Heritage Collection at Paine Field (X cross from Boeing plant)
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 08-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Molar mender

The Whidbey Island Radio Control Society (WIRCS for short) (http://www.wircsrc.com) uses the facility almost on a daily basis, except when the Navy flies from the facility. It is Navy property and they use it as a practice facility to practice carrier landings. The club maintains a member communication system that lets members know when the Navy is not flying. Unfortionately there are a few hoops to jump through in order to access the secure facility. The club has a couple of retired members that are gracious enough to make the flying field available to club members. General public access is available at sponsored events only. I am a member of the club and live about 2 1/2 hours away. If your interested in looking at the site, PM me and I will get in touch with the club and make some arrangements, IF the Navy is not using the facility.

Roy
Old 08-09-2015, 03:21 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Dave

i am one of the members that flies Turbine in Seattle area. As it was mentioned, currently to fly at Whidbey OLF, you need to either have a valid Navy Pass that gives you base access and the field access or you have to have a sponsor with valid pass that can let you in and remain with you until you leave. We used to use the taxi way but unfortunately we had to move a Little this year and the new site has a few potholes etc..
We also have a private club that is closed at 50 members. We have been allowed to fly turbines there during the wet season (October - March). The runway is grass and bumpy so we use it for flying small but over powered models to get them off the ground as fast as possible. This situation is still not 100% solid and we are flying under probation condition. No models with down trust turbines are allowed.

I hope this helps.

Behzad
Old 08-09-2015, 05:03 PM
ozief16

Guys,

Thanks for the info!

As far as Whibey is concerned, would a mil ID get me out there? Thank you for the offer of help. I don't think we're going to rent a car this trip. We're on a fact finding mission to see if Seattle might be our next home. If we dig it we'll be back and will rent a car then

About the only thing I have that would happily get out of grass would by UF but that might get beat up.

Joe, FYI I have your old Bv phantom now and she's getting lots of love

dave

Last edited by ozief16; 08-09-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Terrible grammar!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:22 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Dave
Have fun with the F4,It is a great aircraft....Have you kept it in Marine livery ?
Semper Fi
Joe

Also... FWIW... This year in Seattle is unusal,warm(Hot) weather and Not much rain .
Old 08-10-2015, 10:55 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave, Jet flying around here is tenuous. If the weather doesn't keep us from doing it, the lack of facilities does. Great group of guys, just a long drive and some hoop jumping to get to do it. Wenatchee is about 2.5 hours East of Seattle, gorgeous, state of the art field and very welcoming to jets. Real estate is about a third the price of an equivalent home in Seattle and great wine. But not much more rural.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:59 PM
ozief16

Joe,
Yes, still in Marines livery...but 232 I think, not trip tre.

Scoles,
That's kind of the feeling I was getting. Thanks for the data. My wife is talking about a Master's program in Seattle proper, so living that far away may be out of the cards.

All good data guys, thank you
Old 08-10-2015, 01:04 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, at this point, it is only a handful of us flying jets. there could be a possibility of starting something new if there is more dedicated involvement.

B
Old 08-10-2015, 01:21 PM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is karl hibbs still a member I would think he is flying turbines.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:07 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

If you can afford the cost of Housing, Living near the ferry Mulkitio Ferry would make it pretty easy to get to the OLF for flying. Further North is a great and perhaps the only remaining full service hobby shop in Burlington WA.
Skagit flats and then onto Whidbey Island would be awesome place to live its just the $. I was stationed at NUW and flew from the OLF for over 15 years (in between 6 deployments). If you want hard surface to fly jets there isn't any finer facility.
Chuck Bower is now an AMA Avp and can be contacted about the OLF his contact info is in the AMA magazine.
The WX is decidedly better on the North half of the island about1/2 the rain of SEA.
Sparky
Old 08-10-2015, 03:17 PM
DrScoles

I'm still waiting for my rich persian friend to build us a jets only runway close to home…..
Old 08-10-2015, 05:14 PM
mountainroad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it doesnt solve your problem but if you are in the area and have time check out the MARCS club at MaryMore park in Redmond. I spent last summer flying with those guys. I was only there for 3 months but still feel more part of that club then the local club I have been a member of for 15 years.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:19 PM
pferg
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Karl flys mostly at the MRCCS field in Yelm. He does still fly turbines but not frequently.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:55 AM
rgburrill

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DUCMOZ
Hi Dave

We have been allowed to fly turbines there during the wet season (October - March).
I hope this helps.

Behzad
As I recall the wet season is Late August to late July. My wife was there one year during early to mid August and said it was beautiful. I pointed out she was there during the dry season.
For those thinking about moving to Seattle remember, it doesn't rain much, just often. And yes, I graduated from UW and chased that dang dog around the campus.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:30 PM
ozief16

Fellas,

All great info Andre being digested. We're looking around at the city to get a general feel. We did three flights with Kenmore Air today; awesome all of them. The trouble here is that we're here in the most perfect weather right now (and that's NOT the norm).

Dave

Last edited by ozief16; 08-11-2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect
Old 08-16-2015, 07:19 AM
DrScoles

Weather has been epic this year! Definitely not the norm!