Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Making scale looking strap hinges from styrene

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Making scale looking strap hinges from styrene

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:18 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Making scale looking strap hinges from styrene

Over the years I have posted ideas to help others improve their building skills, this is one to spruce up your cowl or doors and phony hinged hatches, with what, dummy hinges made from styrene tube and rods that look real.

Needing strap hinges, dummy type on a cowling top like cubs and other planes have I set out to make them from styrene. Tubes are .095" diameter, I'm working on 1/4 scale, the pin is a rod just under 1/16". Hinge segments are just under 1/2" long cut on a band saw and the hole is enlarged to 1/16" to slide on the rod, you can make it as long as needed or just some short ones for various things. Pliers will hold the segments while drilling and don't drill in one stroke, pull out clean cuttings off and finish with second stroke. Sound like a PITA, it's not, it's very easy and don't take long to do a lot of them.

In the case of my cowl all panel lines were cut with a micro saw and the ones for the hinge were widened using a hack saw blade at an angle to widen the slot for them to sit in. You need to epoxy a glass strip on the inside under the cut because you will likely cut through the fiberglass cowling material if that's what it's made of, you can do the same thing to a ABS cowl and use a glass strip inside using thin CA to glue it on and rub it down with a protected covering on your finger, clean it first with alcohol.

Hinges are not glued yet.

Leroy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0671.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	2141429   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0672.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	2141430   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_IMG_0673.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	2141431  
Old 01-16-2016, 02:42 PM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Leroy , I am not able to enlarge the pictures for some reason , it tells me that the web page has a redirect loop , I am not able to make out much from the pics. Is that the bottom of the cowl ? and it looks like the hinge is curved . If it is how can it work ? Is it going to be a piano hinge sort off ?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The hinge is not glued on yet but will be straight when it is, it is a dummy piano hinge.