Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

48 pitch vs 0.6 mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 07:13 AM
davedotwojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48 pitch vs 0.6 mod

I currently have 2 main models, a 1st gen Bandit VXL and the Gran Tourismo E10, and I recently discovered that the E10's gears are 0.6 mod. I have always been careful when meshing gears, and yet have managed to strip countless spurs in both models. I know that some of the striped spurs in the Bandit were with the 22t pinion from the E10. And I know that I have stripped spurs in the E10 using 48p pinions.

I would like to know if anyone has figured out a way to tell the difference between 48p and 0.6 mod pinions. I have a caliper, so I could measure the diameter of all of my pinions. A google search of RC pinion diameters gives me nothing but gear ratio and roll out tutorials, which I read every couple of years anyway (that's actually how I recently discovered 0.6 mod).
Old 03-12-2016, 04:43 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi davedotwojo ,
as you have worked out , they do not interchange .
Measuring them might be an option but you would also have to count the teeth .
You could use a paint pen to mark and identify them .
There seems to be a lot more options when it comes to 48P gears at the moment and every hobby shop has Traxxas stuff (48P) . Have you looked into changing the E10 to 48P ? That way you only need one type of gear for both cars .
Pictured is 48P on the right ( I think it was 87T ) ... .6 Mod on the left 77T ... only .005" difference in diameter .
The 48P teeth are slightly smaller . If you have a known gear type , you should be able to compare them carefully and work out what is what .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	phone stuff 001.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2152168