Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

muffler on the loose

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

muffler on the loose

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 02:04 PM
tronic5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muffler on the loose

As I was breaking in my new OS GT22 I noticed that the bolts securing the muffler were loosening after a brief cool down. Tried star or split lock washers however negative solution to this problem. Has anyone experienced this and what else can I try to resolve it ? Thanks...
Old 02-20-2016, 07:06 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I would purchase some Permatex Ultra copper high temp sealer and some blue loctite thread locker The red is for high temps but if you need to remove the bolts it will be very difficult . I would then remove the muffler and gasket , throw the gasket away . Clean the bolts and threads with alcohol to remove oils. Coat the muffler and cylinder exhaust port surfaces with a very light coat of Ultra copper . Apply thread locker to the bolts and install muffler and tighten bolts. You eliminate the gasket because it compresses and allows movement , removing it will help to improve the clamping power of the bolts. The thread locker prevents loosening from vibration
Old 02-20-2016, 07:30 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Great advise from CK. However I have used red loctite with good success. When I need to remove the bolts I heat them up with a 25 watt soldering iron. That being said most of the time when your muffler is coming loose it's a good indicator that the engine is getting too hot.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:47 PM
tronic5

The muffler came with ordinary flat washers. Should I use a lock washer or will the blue thread lock be sufficient ?
Old 02-20-2016, 08:52 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Use a lock washer between the bolt head and a flat. Try the blue loctite but only after the bolts and threaded holes have been cleaned well with acetone. Get the engine off the bench and flying. Gassers don't need bench running and doing so is increasing its running temp and contributing to your issue.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:44 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

See if you can buy a bolt for the muffler that has a big head on it. Drill a hole thru each bolt head, After tightening them down run a wire thru the holes in both bolt heads and twist them together... This way they are tied to each other and can't loosen up.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:56 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I always make sure the machined surfaces are very flat, and take a new fine toothed file to make sure it is flat. just a couple swipes with your thumb pushing down. I don't use a gasket. If it still comes loose, then tightening it again while it is warm may help. Heavy mufflers are a problem sometimes. The other tips are good, and worth a try too. You don't want to lose your muffler in the air. Safety wiring the bolts, and even an extra one on the back of the muffler is a good idea too. especially on a boat or combat plane.

Last edited by aspeed; 02-21-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:53 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Anytime I've had a muffler come loose is when I didn't tighten the bolts securely enough. I would think with a split lock washer and some thread locking agent, tightened really good (don't break the head off), you should be good.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:44 AM
jetmech05

Ok food has the answer it's called safety wire.
But if you don't want to safety wire then heat up the engine through running it. Tighten the bolts while hot.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:45 PM
bryanmiick

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have 2 of these, loose the gasket, use silicone, and drill the bolts for tie wires that will solve the problem
Old 02-22-2016, 02:34 AM
tronic5

Thank you gents for all your in put to this issue. Prior to drilling the bolt heads I will try the Permatex
High Temp Copper gasket maker and blue thread locker suggestion from CK.
Stand by for a follow up report !
Old 02-22-2016, 06:12 AM
carlgrover

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Whatever you do, don't flip the prop right after putting on the sealer before it's had a good 24 hours to cure. You could blow it out of the muffler/engine joint and lose the seal.

carl
Old 02-22-2016, 09:44 AM
tronic5

OK Carl, Thanks for your tip...... I mounted the engine onto my "Clipped Wing Cub's firewall, however, cannot fly at least until April (field conditions) I'm looking forward to the first flight, landing and then checking if those d**n muffler bolts budged !!!! So,,, what to do in the mean time,,,, OK, time to start building the Waco
Old 02-22-2016, 06:52 PM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teflon pipe thread tape on the bolt threads works very well. I've found that Loctite is not good to use on aluminum threads with steel bolts, threads are damaged easily if removed very often
Old 02-22-2016, 08:07 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Fairmont MINN......I used to live about 5 miles north of there....how's the weather? I sure do NOT miss the weather/flying season from November until May!!!

Jerry Festa
Old 02-23-2016, 06:40 AM
tronic5

Yes Jerry, Our flying season is too short. However we take advantage of our winter season to build. It's -1C today and glorious sunshine .
Old 02-23-2016, 08:53 AM
aspeed

There is always indoor flying. Maybe I can go tonight. Saturday one of the neighbors kids was walking on the beach in bare feet. This is Canada!!!
Old 02-26-2016, 08:32 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

New bolts stretch a little. All new fasteners do when tension is put on them. There are two ways for a bolted attachment to get loose. The first is by the bolt unscrewing, and the second is by the bolt stretching. A bolt holding on your muffler is a lot like a rubber band holding something together. It's the stretched tension that does the work. When you tighten the bolt, you probably will noticed that after it gets snug you'll find the torque steadily increase until a certain point, then it increases sharply. That sharp increase is the limit of stretch the bolt can handle before being damaged. So most of us have enough experience to not overtighten our bolts. After that first run, the heat cycle and the tension that's been on the bolt stretch it a little, which does the same thing as loosening it. BTW, the aluminum you are tightening it against can also deform under tension, adding to the problem. With a new engine, you'll probably need to retighten all of the bolts after a little while, maybe a couple of times. The bolts will settle in soon though, and when they do you will be able to go all year without doing anything to them. To verify all of this, put a dot of white paint on the side of the bolt head and also on the aluminum it's bolted into. That will let you see if the bolt has actually unscrewed when it gets loose or if the problem is caused by stretching or deformation of the aluminum.