Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Good beginner electric buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Viinny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electric Buggy/Truggy for 450ish?

I'm looking to buy my first RC Electric Buggy/Truggy for 450ish? (though I had RC toys).
And what i'm looking for is a RC Buggy/Truggy, something to use on a stone roads/walkways, cement bike paths, and some dirt roads. (i'll get an extra pair of tires for on-road).
Please recommend me some in that price range, Buying a battery and charger outside the car pack itself is no problem, but I'd like some recommendations for that also.
Currently i'm looking at the Absima 1/10 electro brushless buggy AB1BL 4WD RTR (No battery/charger). Thoughts?

Last edited by Viinny; 04-11-2016 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Changed my mind
Old 04-10-2016, 01:00 PM
RustyUs

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Help a newbie buy his first RC car please.

If you have your heart set on a buggy, get a buggy. You'll just be limited to the areas to run/bash/throw around when using a buggy. Nothing wrong with buggies. They maybe a bit lighter than other platforms, and some say they're more fragile. They just have less protection (small bodies leaving exposed parts). It also depends on the manufacturer's plastics, and composites that make up the chassis. How flexible the material is will determine overall durability. You just gotta know their limits.

Do your homework and research any platform you have your eyes on. Read and/or watch many reviews, not just taking one person's thoughts on something being a piece of garbage. Get a collection of input, then make a well informed decision. You got the forums, and YouTube out there to help get pointed in the right direction.

I've been "bashing" buggies since the original Frog was out. Get/build/makeshift yourself some portable ramps, or go out to the roughest road you can find. Don't have a backyard area to run a RC car? Be creative when driving around towns or "out in the boonies".

Last edited by RustyUs; 04-10-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:13 AM
Viinny

Thank you for the reply, since that I've changed my mind a little and upped my budget. I know now that I really want something good out the box. Brushless and Lippo's.
I also have a ton of cement bicycle paths in my area to drive on. (they are everywhere)
Currently i'm looking at the Absima brushless buggy AB1BL 4WD RTR (No battery/charger). Is that brand good?
edit: Or this one, looks awesome:
LRP S10 BLAST BX2 BRUSHLESS

Last edited by Viinny; 04-11-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:29 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vinney, where are you? I've never heard of the Absima brand. I'd keep looking.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:31 AM
RustyUs

I have no idea of the Absima brand. You must be over yonder somewhere with brands that you mentioned. As far as LRP goes, I used to think they were great with all their electronics components years back. Now I don't know. I love the 4wd Blast layout, and I myself would probably opt for the TX (truggy) version (I got enough buggies). Hop on the world wide web and look at the reviews.

If you're not going to do much off-roading, maybe a 1/10 scale 2wd brushless RC would be something to consider to lower the cost a bit. Because if you want 4wd, brushless motors, and LiPo batteries...you should expect to pay a little more. Keep in mind, you generally will have more parts to upkeep, and maintain when running 4wd. If you have options and parts availability from brands like HPI, Traxxas, ECX...that's where I'd look first.

Whatever RC car you have available to you, and you decide on, make sure the replacement parts are also available.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:35 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Viinny
...Currently i'm looking at the Absima 1/10 electro brushless buggy AB1BL 4WD RTR (No battery/charger). Thoughts?
Let me guess...Netherlands?
Old 04-11-2016, 08:15 AM
Viinny

Originally Posted by RustyUs
If you're not going to do much off-roading, maybe a 1/10 scale 2wd brushless RC would be something to consider to lower the cost a bit. Because if you want 4wd, brushless motors, and LiPo batteries...you should expect to pay a little more. Keep in mind, you generally will have more parts to upkeep, and maintain when running 4wd. If you have options and parts availability from brands like HPI, Traxxas, ECX...that's where I'd look first.

Whatever RC car you have available to you, and you decide on, make sure the replacement parts are also available.
Do you have any 2wd recommendations? I have no problem going with 2wd. As long as its brushles

Originally Posted by RustyUs
Let me guess...Netherlands?
Correct, I guess it's more of an EU brand?

Last edited by Viinny; 04-11-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Viinny

Sorry, ignore this.

Last edited by Viinny; 04-12-2016 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:31 AM
Viinny

Ok ignore my last post,

At the moment I have 2 RC's in mind, I'd like your opinions and battery+(fast)charger recommendations.
Kyosho DBX VE 2.0 brushless for 299 Euro
KYOSHO ULTIMA RB6 BRUSHLESS for 299 Euro (leaning towards this due to aluminium chassis)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:32 PM
RustyUs

I've always regarded Kyosho as top shelf material. But to get the attention of potential buyers they have had to cut some premium components out of their Ready Set line to lower the price point. Nothing wrong with that...most every company does it.

I would be happy with either of those choices you mentioned above. I do have to say the DBX VE 2.0 looks better than the original. I'm liking it! It looks more like an 1/8 scale buggy. I think you will find this a little informative: Big Squib's Review. Those dudes don't go easy on most RCs they test. They go to the extreme. The DBX VE 2.0 got high marks from them. Nudge, nudge . Just make sure of parts availability.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ofnu45VuAw

Last edited by RustyUs; 04-12-2016 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added link