Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Different track width front and rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 06:37 PM
KristianeCyrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different track width front and rear

Hi all,

May I ask if anyone has tied running a car with different front track width to the rear? (such as narrower front to wider rear)

How would the handling be if having a wider front to the rear, or wider rear to the front?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:37 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

How much of a difference are we talking about?
Are you trying to accomplish/fix a certain over/under steering issue?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:45 PM
KristianeCyrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi RustyUs,

I'm trying to run with front wheels that has an offset of 3mm, and rear wheels with an offset of either 6mm or 9mm.

Just want to see how that'd affect oversteer and understeer.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:27 AM
RustyUs

I don't know what RC you have, or are talking about, but a wider front track width would loose some grip/allowing more understeer. At the same time, it would help with traction rolling. Increasing the rear track would probably give more rear traction. In my mind, coming into a turn with more traction would create more understeering, but the increased width would calm down traction rolling.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:08 AM
RustyUs

Running on high grip surfaces will have a greater effect on changes made to width of course. For me, running on loose off-road track, my main concern falls on tire selection and shock oil tuning.

Depending if a person is racing or not, you may fall into a maximum allowance width issue as well.