Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Whats best way to cut large holes in balsa sheet

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Whats best way to cut large holes in balsa sheet

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 06:58 PM
parkham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats best way to cut large holes in balsa sheet

I have been cutting some holes in some of my sailplanes fuses and tailfeathers to lighten them up is there a better way than using a compass to mark it out then using an xacto knife do hole saws work with balsa sheet without ripping it
Old 02-06-2018, 07:59 PM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used a couple of techniques for this. Depending on the size of the hole needed, you can use sharpened tubing of whatever size you need, sharpened properly it'll cut right through it. PVC or ABS pipe or fittings can get you a lot of different sized holes. I've even used tin cans sharped to cut holes for retracts. Another tool I use is a circle cutter from X-Acto, kind of like a compass, but with a blade. It'll do up to a 6" diameter hole. It works fairly well, but you have to pay close attention to what it's doing or it'll wander on you. Hole saws typically have pretty coarse teeth, and would give you a pretty ragged hole.

Last edited by RDJeff; 02-06-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:56 PM
parkham

thanks typically the holes I need range from 1/2 in up to 2in I made a compass with an xacto blade and it didn't work that well for me I think a trip to the hardware store to see what round objects I can find
Old 02-07-2018, 07:10 AM
rgburrill

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

An xacto knife will fit in a compass.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:17 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forstner bit. Dan
Old 02-07-2018, 06:34 PM
NCRC
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by All Day Dan
Forstner bit. Dan
I 2nd the forstner bit, just use a similar piece of wood under the the wood you intend to cut.
High speed works best for me.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:31 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Either a forstner bit, or a sharpened brass tube for smaller 1/2"+ size holes, and/or a small tin can sharpened on one end for the larger holes. Sharpen both the inside and outside diameters of either of these, and they should cut very decently just by hand. A smaller sharpened brass tube will even cut angles very nicely for pushrod exits and such, and they won't tear the wood, rather they'll cut it like a razor.. very clean.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:36 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

I have had great results using hole saws. They have to be really sharp and the Milwaukee brand work best. A drill press set to its highest speed is also required.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:25 PM
Jennifer Curtis

I usually find something like a jar lid or
can the size I need and cut around it
with an xacto knife.

Jenny
Old 02-15-2018, 06:07 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Router table and a 1/16 bit just above the wood, lay out the hole with a compass, poke the bit through and cut to the line. WATCH YOUR FINGERS USE CLEAR PLASTIC GUARD IF YOU HAVE ONE. Think dremel makes a small router table for their rotary tool.

Lay out the hole poke a hole in the centre use a scroll saw feed the blade through the hole and cut to line.

Last edited by Propworn; 02-15-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:41 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Another option would be to draw your hole using a circle template, cut the hole undersized from what you actually need and sand it to size with a drum sander of some sort. This works well with all balsas, ply and lite ply