Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Best 1/8 chassis kit out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:01 PM
bigtommy911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best 1/8 chassis kit out there?

What do you guys think best 1/8 or 1/10 chassis kit out there is. Going electric I think.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:25 AM
bill_delong

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Tons of quality name brands to choose from... Losi, Associated, Mugen, XRay, Serpent and then my personal favorite is Tekno.

What I feel sets Tekno apart from the others is their durability can't be beat, performance is on par with XRay and Mugen, and their team driver support is right up there with Losi and XRay. What Tekno offers that nobody else has is a lifetime 50% discount off any broken parts mailed into them with no questions asked making Tekno the least expensive brand to maintain. Tekno parts also tend to wear less quickly than most other brands and their design offers one of the quickest/easiest to perform maintenance with least amount of hardware to remove to quickly service diffs and common hardware to reduce time swapping bits on your driver for faster service time.

As far as selecting a class goes, if you're not into racing and just want to bash around than nothing beats the MT410:

Here's a link to Tekno's support page with tons of great build tips to make your build go nice and smooth:
https://www.teknorc.com/vehicle-setu...nd-build-tips/

Even if you decide not to go with Tekno, these build tips are universal for other brands too

Best of luck in your decision!
Old 02-23-2018, 12:43 PM
esavagenoobie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bill_delong
Tons of quality name brands to choose from... Losi, Associated, Mugen, XRay, Serpent and then my personal favorite is Tekno.

What I feel sets Tekno apart from the others is their durability can't be beat, performance is on par with XRay and Mugen, and their team driver support is right up there with Losi and XRay. What Tekno offers that nobody else has is a lifetime 50% discount off any broken parts mailed into them with no questions asked making Tekno the least expensive brand to maintain. Tekno parts also tend to wear less quickly than most other brands and their design offers one of the quickest/easiest to perform maintenance with least amount of hardware to remove to quickly service diffs and common hardware to reduce time swapping bits on your driver for faster service time.

As far as selecting a class goes, if you're not into racing and just want to bash around than nothing beats the MT410:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P2k0KdSOpk

Here's a link to Tekno's support page with tons of great build tips to make your build go nice and smooth:
https://www.teknorc.com/vehicle-setu...nd-build-tips/

Even if you decide not to go with Tekno, these build tips are universal for other brands too

Best of luck in your decision!
I would totally +1 on the MT410, dont have one, but I've followed many builds of it, and have seen many happy customers, but Bill, i maybe incorrect, but this was posted in the onroad section, not sure if that was by accident or what have you.

As for onroad touring cars, there is a large difference in 1/10th and 1/8th scale, unlike off road vehicles, where some 1/10th are closer to 1/8th scale in size, a touring car is very different between those scales.

Further, are you racing it or just bashing it around. If its the latter, Tamiya offers many kits that scale to budget that are very well adapted for 1/10th onroad 'bashing'. They also offer racing kits from the TRF petigree which are quite a bit more expensive.
Alternatives like Team associated, HPI, and others mentioned by Bill offer onroad varieties.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:31 PM
bill_delong

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

***Facepalm*** totally missed the requirement for an on-road car, sorry about that!

Pretty much any 1/8 Buggy can be ran as an on-road car by simply installing a set of GT8 wheels, however if the OP wants a true dedicated on-road basher, then yeah the selection would definitely shift where my top pick would be XRay, not sure if the electric GT8 was released yet, my second pick would be either Mugen or Serpent.

As far as 1/10 cars go, the options on the market are insane.... my safe bet would still be XRay... I have been burned by racing some off-name brands in the past and having difficulty getting spares from brands like TeamC, SpecR, Atomic, ABC and Xpress. If money is no object and you want the best the market has to offer, then get an Awesomatix, I raced one of those for a while and you definitely get what you pay for with that kit!

In reality if I was gonna bash, then I'd stick with 1/8.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:24 PM
esavagenoobie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bill_delong
***Facepalm*** totally missed the requirement for an on-road car, sorry about that!

Pretty much any 1/8 Buggy can be ran as an on-road car by simply installing a set of GT8 wheels, however if the OP wants a true dedicated on-road basher, then yeah the selection would definitely shift where my top pick would be XRay, not sure if the electric GT8 was released yet, my second pick would be either Mugen or Serpent.

As far as 1/10 cars go, the options on the market are insane.... my safe bet would still be XRay... I have been burned by racing some off-name brands in the past and having difficulty getting spares from brands like TeamC, SpecR, Atomic, ABC and Xpress. If money is no object and you want the best the market has to offer, then get an Awesomatix, I raced one of those for a while and you definitely get what you pay for with that kit!

In reality if I was gonna bash, then I'd stick with 1/8.

We all have our moments!

Id go 1/8th scale onroad over 1/10th. Quite a few years back I had a Tamiya Tb-02 I believe it was, a couple steps above there beginner TT series of chassis and even though it was an onroad, going over the lip of my driveway, and smaller pebbles on the road would scuff up the underside of the chassis, and being a plastic chassis and not aluminum like 1/8th scales that causes more worry. Plus, large scales are sometimes more controllable than smaller scales and I really had to ease on the power in my TT-02.