Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How hot is too hot? (jet storage)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How hot is too hot? (jet storage)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 12:46 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How hot is too hot? (jet storage)

For me my airplane trailer, while still a bit too small for my needs, is equally as valuable for its storage properties than it is for its transport properties. Without being able to leave a few planes in it 24/7, I would have no room in the workshop to do anything. So it's important that I feel comfortable leaving the jets in there. Granted, my workshop is an uninsulated garage anyway so it's not exactly comfortable year round, but the trailer dang sure gets hotter. But how hot is too hot?

For the most part, the trailer is parked in a shaded area under some trees at home. I put a digital thermometer in the trailer that records all time high temperature and checked it after a couple of weeks of low-mid 90s, and the high was never above 98. I'm not bothered by that at all. It's probably about that in my garage some days. Today I had to take the trailer to the DMV so it was out in the sun in parking lots all day.Outdoor ambient temperature today is about 93, the current temp in the trailer when I opened it was 104, and the max temp was 111. I would suspect on the hottest of days, sitting in the sun, the inside of the trailer could see as much as 120-130 degrees. It's brutal, but is it going to damage anything i.e. paint, electrical components and such? I highly doubt it, but not ashamed to ask for other opinions. The ceiling of the trailer is not insulated - I have thought about gluing some of that reflective insulation to the ceiling from the inside to help, but in reality I hope to upgrade in a year or two anyway. Just trying to put my mind at ease until then.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:01 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I never worry about the heat much, make sure you have some form of humidity control though. Moisture is far worse than heat or cold.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:21 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I worry about LiPos and other batteries in the heat, so take those out.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:33 AM
Afterburners

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you have any vents? There are many options including the ones for rv's with fans.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:45 AM
Auburn02

I do have one of the roof vents but honestly I keep it closed, I find it lets more splashing rainwater in than hot air out. Ideally I would have vents that force fresh air through while driving and perhaps a solar charged battery that kicks on a fan at a given temperature threshold, but I'm going to resist doing that until my next trailer.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:49 AM
Spencer K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Trailer storage

Sometimes I keep some jets in my trailer here in Phoenix. Yep it gets hot but doesn’t seem to bother anything. I do take my batts out of my planes if it’s going to be left in there for more than a day or two. Mine is insulated which helps and it also sits under a tree in the shade.
i would recommend at a minimum you insulate the ceiling like you mentioned as well as paint the roof with a reflective paint made for roofs. This really cuts down on the temps and is quick and easy project.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:36 AM
flying skunks
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get a cover for the vent in the roof , so when its raining no rain gets in .
As for my trailer , I just set my ac at 85 degrees and don't worry about it . it gets flippin hot here in Florida . the trailer is 8.5x22
Old 06-27-2019, 03:45 AM
horsefeetky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the vent shade covers for rv's are cheap and easy to install.......then you can leave the vent open and no rain comes in......
Old 06-27-2019, 09:11 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You can add a vent fan like this
https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Tr.../FV801200.html

And cap it with a cover like this to keep the rain and critters out
https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Tr...00-933066.html
Old 06-27-2019, 10:37 AM
Auburn02

Definitely like the idea of the covers so I can leave the vent open, I'll start there and see if it helps and will also look at insulating the interior ceiling with some foam board wedged in between the rails.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:51 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I put two coats of white elastomeric roof coating on my last trailer and it made a big difference. The inside of the roof went from so hot you could barely hold you hand on it to just warm. Not sure what the temp decrease in the trailer was, but it was noticeable.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-0-...7146/202091035