Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Global Jet Club / Aerofoam L-39

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Global Jet Club / Aerofoam L-39

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 06:02 AM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Global Jet Club / Aerofoam L-39

I was allowed to fly the prototype L-39 from Global Jet Club at the Best in the West Jet Rally, basically I picked up the jet on Wednesday night, put it together in the Hotel at night and fly it the next morning before the official start of the event.

This was accomplish because the Aerofoam jets come complete with all servos, lights, retracts, wheels, brakes etc. All installed and ready for you, all you provide is your own Turbine, Receiver and batteries. The hard part for me is was that I would be in charge of figuring out the CG and control throws for this Jet and then pass on the information to the factory. No pressure

I managed to get 14 flights that weekend, I am not going to say they where all uneventfull, but only had problems with the landing gear doors. The power to the retracts and doors is cut off about 3 to 5 seconds after retracting and the main landing gear doors would free fall down and I would think the gear was stuck. This could be solved by replacing the landing gear door digital servos with analog ones which I have passed on to the factory. Remember this is the prototype and I am the only one with it at this time.

The build begins and ends with you installing the nose cone to the L-39 . The Jet comes in two pieces and it's a simple 4 bolt installation. I consider that the end of build process and the mounting begins with that. The Turbine, RX and batteries are mounted.

Length 72 inches (1828 mm)
Wing Span 56 inches (1433 mm)
Weight RTF minus Fuel 16lbs (with AUT full)
Suggested Engine Size: 60n ~ 80n (6kg ~8kg)

ACEx80 https://globaljet.club/…/acex-acex80...-8kg-turbine-…

Available in 4 different color variances (Including 1 all white version for pilot custom paint)
-With Optional Smoke System

Designed/Engineered and Distributed by: Aeroworld RC

US Dealers: Global Jet Club (Globaljet.club) and Banana Hobby (www.bananahobby.com)

European Dealer: FINAL MODELLBAU (www.FINALMODELLBAU.de)

Available January 2020

Old 10-24-2019, 10:30 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After all of your flights what do you think of it? How is the Quality compared to the HSD planes?
Old 10-24-2019, 12:44 PM
Turbulence

Originally Posted by geneh-RCU
After all of your flights what do you think of it? How is the Quality compared to the HSD planes?
It's one tough little jet. I have never owned an HSD Jet and would not compare it to others, my favorite picture from Best in the West is the one where I am coming in for landing, you can see the flaps down, speed brake down and if you look closely the Left Main gear is Not down!!! The lading gear door on the strut got stuck on the retract cover, this has been fixed and addressed with the factory. This was the second flight and I did scrape the paint out of left main wing tip tank. The runway at Best in the West is not smooth by any means, hard gravel etc. the jet came back with minor paint missing but that was about it. Hardened EPO foam that is hard to dent, most people that saw it fly couldn’t tell it was a foamy unless I told them or they saw the hatch while I was running the turbine. I now have about 19 flights on it. Since most people care the most for the landings, here is a video (well most of the rest of the flight the jet disappeared from the video because of the glare on the phone screen while recording). the two videos below where filmed last weekend, October 19th 2019.

Ralph

Global Jet Club Aerofoam L-39

Last edited by Turbulence; 10-24-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Turbulence

I was told one or more of the links did not work. I could not edit the first post, so here they are.

ACEx80 https://globaljet.club/collections/a...16392338407498

Available in 4 different color variances (Including 1 all white version for pilot custom paint)
-With Optional Smoke System

Designed/Engineered and Distributed by: Aeroworld RC

US Dealers: Global Jet Club (Globaljet.club) and Banana Hobby (www.bananahobby.com)

European Dealer: FINAL MODELLBAU (https://www.final-modellbau.de/)
Old 01-09-2020, 11:04 AM
Turbulence

The first batch of production of L-39's are almost completed, this is the final color scheme for now. The container will leave China in a week or so and should be in California Mid February.

For more info, go to the website. https://globaljet.club/collections/g...31373952483428

https://www.facebook.com/AeroworldRC...2620259594961/

Last edited by Turbulence; 01-09-2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:41 AM
Turbulence

Since the shipping container is in route to the USA, here are some pictures and short videos of Mike's test flight yesterday in Hemet.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:14 PM
Marvinf14
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Guys,

Hope all are well specially with this craziness of times, my name is Marvin Alvarez a third generation in our hobby, Flight Line Boss at JOK , Top Gun Competitor, CD for Miami Jets and also BVM Team Pilot. I wanted to share my experience with the Global Aerofoam L-39, its set up with a Jeti, Cortex Gyro not the Pro and has an ACEx80 Turbine for Power, I fly at AMPs located in Miami, FL, Grass Runway and the L-39 is flying superb and flew it at Florida Jets. This L-39, I got to tell you it’s an amazing flier, from slow speeds to Top Speeds, as well holds an awesome Knife Edge and Lands super slow, I did added the Crow, hopefully things get better and as off now Jets Over KY (JOK) Jul 11-18th 2020 it still a go so I will be flying her there as well many other event i can make it to!!!! I also feel so happy about this L-39 its Quality is very nice, very nice quality foam , retracts and brakes been electric is another game changer, I have been practicing with her all my Top Gun maneuvers, I couldn't be any happier with this great flying jet and also sweet looking. As has been mentioned this is a great trainer or just an everyday flier to its maximum capabilities and the price is just right so for anyone getting into the Turbine world this is a perfect combo in any means for our hobby. . I will post some videos and photos here.

The following users liked this post:
RCISFUN (04-27-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 05:54 PM
Marvinf14

Nice flight of the L-39 im enjoying this puppy so much enjoy Gents
The following users liked this post:
RCISFUN (04-27-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 09:27 AM
FenderBean

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

This looks like the same jet someone just posted with an X45, if so it’s a great combo.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3392...6880817010975/
Old 04-26-2020, 09:32 AM
Marvinf14

Originally Posted by FenderBean
This looks like the same jet someone just posted with an X45, if so it’s a great combo.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3392...6880817010975/

Hey there MR Fenderbean Braincube, its a lot smaller of an airplane you looking at FB, the scheme is the same but not same plane, this Aerofoam with a ACEx 60 is fine I like mine with the 80 I love it, so are you bringing yuourself to JOK? i hear the other JM guys coming to take over town!!!!!
Old 11-23-2021, 06:56 AM
jadamian75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are the flight characteristics on the AF L-39 compared to the MB-339? I’m mainly interested in Aerobatics. Does one Knife Edge better? Which has a lower stall speed? Does one land easier?

I’ve heard the L-39 lands easier with less bounce since the gear is taller and less likely to hit the tail in a flare.

I’m looking at powering it with a acex 80. It will be my first turbine. I have a couple hundred flights on an Freewing 80mm Avanti and liked it more than the 80mm L-39 so I thought I may like the MB-339 at first since it has a longer wing. I also am not a fan of planes that don't track well. Not sure if that's an issue with either.

Is either plane better at doing quick tight snap rolls?

Does either pane have significantly better fight time? Im only looking for around 6-7 min?

Mostly I want the best aerobatics with minimal knife edge coupling, the ability to maintain knife edge and easy smooth landings.

Lots of questions.

Thanks for the info
Old 11-23-2021, 10:38 AM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Jada - come to Arvada and several of us fly the AF L-39 with the ACEx 80 My buddy does more "acrobatics" with it than I do, it pop tops really well.

You will get 6-7mins easy and you have around 25%-30% fuel remaining. For the money you can't beat it.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the L-39 but I liked it so much I bought a BVM L-39. Between the 2 AF L-39s we have about 150-200 flights on them.

Last edited by F900; 11-23-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:46 PM
jadamian75

F900,
Thanks for the info. I'm surprised people are doing pop tops with turbines. That's great to hear since I am hard on planes in the air doing things like snaps that I don't see to many people doing with jets.
Joe
Old 11-23-2021, 09:25 PM
F900

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Well i'll just say this, this AF L-39 has the capability of doing very stable pop tops and other interesting things, you have to remember its a foam jet, it does not have carbon reinforcement in the fuse, tail or stab area. I think the wing spars are tin carbon spars, wings are held in by 2 small screws on either side that are attached to a plastic piece glued to the fuse. Doing snaps and hard turns with this L39 on a continuous bases you will end of with a jet in the air in 2 pieces or the servo/s will fail.

IMO this AF L-39 is not designed for pushing it to the limit or been hard on it.

Sounds like at some point down the road you need this lol or something similar .... If I still lived in S FLA I'd have Pablo teach me his ways as in the video below and buy this jet

Last edited by F900; 11-23-2021 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 09:32 AM
Pete1

I put one of these together with a Swiwin 80 and am almost ready for the maiden flight. However I am a little concerned as mine has movement in the hinges perpendicular to the surface. One of the stabs with the most hinge play was replaced by the company I purchased it from. But the other surfaces also have some movement perpendicular to the surface. They won’t pull out as the hinges have a T shape where they are sandwiched in the foam.

Does anybody with their L-39 have play/slop in their hinges? Am I safe to fly?
Old 02-28-2022, 05:37 AM
Maddmaxx1

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s hard to know how much play you are talking about but all will have some play. I have been flying mine for 2 years with no problems at all. I am using a Xicoy 90 now and still no problems with surface flutter. As long as the hinges don’t feel like they can pull out easy you should be fine. Give a pull on the surface to make sure they are glued in good.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:42 AM
Pete1

Thanks Maddmaxx1. I tugged on them pretty hard and they won’t come out.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:51 AM
Pete1

Maiden on my L-39 out of the way. Only two issues. First, as mentioned before, the gear doors came down during flight and second, the brakes with the Assan ag63 pro we’re way to weak and I went off the end of the runway. Other then that all went well.

Jeti radio with rex12 assist receiver and a back up receiver.
‘Swiwin 80swb. Only about a 1/2 inch of fuel left after about a 4 minute flight with throttle management.
Assan ag63 pro brake gyro.
(3) 3s 2600 mah batteries.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:33 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aerofoam L-39 Arctic Camo

I bought this plane for a quick go to the field and toss around turbine. I’ve seen a couple in our area fly and they do well. Presently waiting for a few things to get to me before I can start really getting it together. Better UAT, Receiver, zycoy gear control and Cortex Gyro.

So far I put a clearcoat poly on the plane to protect the foam. Then I installed all the tail flight surfaces.

My plane honestly had allot of china electronics that seem to make this plane flyable with an 8 channel RX. Similar to other foam EDFs they have boxes that group flight control surfaces. Like good ole Y harnesses but all in 1 box. I plan to eliminate most of or all these things.

Also Based on allot of reading already I have removed the gear doors. This is based off others saying the gear door system servos often fail.

Any additional suggestions on the build and equipment layouts would be appreciated.

Bowl of spagetti

The flight control combination box

Zycoy will replace this

Voltage regulator

This is the scheme I’m building.

Last edited by Ken Bryant; 04-22-2024 at 04:35 AM.